A9 Average Speed Cameras - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A9 Average Speed Cameras

There's no point considering the Dunblane to Perth bit - why they put average cams on that part of the A9 is the supposedly same reason they put them on the A77 going into Prestwick which is now at a 50mph limit.

Comparing the two is daft.

My understanding of it, and I'm happy for any info to correct me, is north of Dunkeld, all the cameras are linked via radio frequency and the distance between the cams therefore has a line of sight maximum distance. Over Drumochter or the Slochd summits, the cams are out of line of sight and therefore can't connect. So, if you're wanting to chance not getting done, stay around 61/62 average between cameras on the single carriageways and launch it as soon as you get to the duals. However, I won't be the first to try this until some further research has been done by others ;)

Overall, I don't think it'll make much difference in usual daytime traffic, as the fast drivers will still overtake where they can, but the old clear night's 75 mins from Sneckie to Perth is definitely a goner now :(

http://a9road.info/resources/faqs/

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a reasonably powerful car that doesn't have cruise control it's pretty easy for your speed to creep up to 80 odds without noticing, unless you watch your speedo instead of the road.

I think I'm quite a good driver when I'm sober, and I realise when I'm getting too fast, over 80 is too fast most places, others 70 is the limit, but still feels too fast...

I don't understand that. Are you saying that as a reasonably good driver you can't always be in control of the car's speed?

Why not, and I know this might be controversial, stick to the speed limits and plan your journey times to suit?

Because we're not all retired yet, we can't all simply saunter up to Aonach Mor for a day's skiing whenever the weather's good. Maybe folk want to maximise their remaining time to continue to enjoy their fun-packed adrenalin fuelled youth as it diminishes before their very, as yet unspectacled, eyes every day? ;)

As has been said on this thread already, there's no reason why the A9 can't be driven at 80-90mph quite safely when it's quiet. That is the bummer. Early morning, late evening fast routes are no more - during the day, it won't make much difference I don't think.

But, an hour saved driving up the A9 is (was) an hour's more fun doing something better.

Because we're not all retired yet, we can't all simply saunter up to Aonach Mor for a day's skiing whenever the weather's good. Maybe folk want to maximise their remaining time to continue to enjoy their fun-packed adrenalin fuelled youth as it diminishes before their very, as yet unspectacled, eyes every day? ;)

As has been said on this thread already, there's no reason why the A9 can't be driven at 80-90mph quite safely when it's quiet. That is the bummer. Early morning, late evening fast routes are no more - during the day, it won't make much difference I don't think.

But, an hour saved driving up the A9 is (was) an hour's more fun doing something better.

Not if you are lying on a mortuary slab having got your braking distances wrong! Or caused someone else to crash with a dangerous overtake.

Tuned in as well. Couldn't believe F@nny Alexander making party politics out of it.

If it saves lives then surely it's a good thing?

Never heard him but can't say I'm surprised. Hope he got asked what he thought of the LibDems blocking dualling the A9 to approve Edinburgh trams instead.

I did hear a bit of the anti-speed camera group guy and he was all "SNP this...SNP that", came across as having a bit of a political agenda too...

Edited by Toepoke

Why not, and I know this might be controversial, stick to the speed limits and plan your journey times to suit?

The speed limits are outdated. Modern cars can safely go much faster than they could 30 years ago.

As I said previously, folk who think going over 70mph is unsafe make me laugh.

The speed limits are outdated. Modern cars can safely go much faster than they could 30 years ago.

No argument from me there.

But the campaign should be to have more appropriate speed limits - not to have individuals trying to find ways to beat the system.

Parkie it's not the cars that are the problem it's the wobbly bit driving that is... work it out how much time is saved by breaking current speed limits from Perth to Inverness? Is a life worth an extra 10-15 mins?

Average speed cameras on the dualled section between Stirling & Perth is a fecking disgrace IMO.

Nothing but a money making scheme that'll do feck all to make the road safer.

Totally agree there is no reason for this stretch to have them

People who think driving faster than 70mph is "dangerous" make me lol.

Indeed. It is about the driving conditions not speed

What i find "mental" is that a motorist doesn't know that. It's basic knowledge that i'd expect even non-drivers to know.

I am absolutely astonished (copywrite J Lamont.) :blink:

I suppose it comes down to when you passed your test. I am pretty sure that when I passed my test ( a wee while ago) the speed limit was either 30 or 70 unless there are signs saying otherwise. I assume some roads have been downgraded to 60 at some point. Nae idea when that happened. Nobody told me.

It has always been like this nothing has changed. I think maybe dementia is setting in ;)

Not if you are lying on a mortuary slab having got your braking distances wrong! Or caused someone else to crash with a dangerous overtake.

That is about bad driving not speed people can do these things while still staying under the speed limit.

Very slightly off topic. Yesterday i saw 2 families being a few inches from getting wiped out in a head on collision. 100% wouldn`t have happened if the car coming towards me had his headlights on instead of just his sidelights. Looked like he was a good bit away and the car behind overtook me. Was a whole lot closer than he thought. :blink:

No argument from me there.

But the campaign should be to have more appropriate speed limits - not to have individuals trying to find ways to beat the system.

Indeed. But if you have outdated laws then folk will break them.

Parkie it's not the cars that are the problem it's the wobbly bit driving that is... work it out how much time is saved by breaking current speed limits from Perth to Inverness? Is a life worth an extra 10-15 mins?

My life isn't in more jeopardy driving 80mph than it is driving 70mph though.

Basic physics says a crash at 80mph is more dangerous than a crash at 50mph (all other things being equal).

So we should probably just walk everywhere, as a crash at 30mph is more dangerous than a collision at walking pace.

Basic physics in action :ok: