Moyes - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Moyes wasn't responsible for transfers at Man Utd, The Equalizer was. In the same way that Van Gaal will identify potential signings, it is absolutely Woodward's responsibility to follow them up and try to negotiate fees and contracts. The coach would have virtually no involvement after passing on his wishlist.

• 1 month later...

Shite manager eh?? Some people embarrassed themselves with their comments on moyes during his time with a finished United side. His performance in Spain and his years of over achievement, with a net negative spend, at everton shows just how good he is! Great manager. Everton miss him.

Nah, he's still an average manager who'll employ negative tactics and make his players play in fear.

He'll do well with Sociedad as their squad is about the 6th best in Spain but they started poorly and Moyes took over when they were about 16th.

Nah, he's still an average manager who'll employ negative tactics and make his players play in fear.

He'll do well with Sociedad as their squad is about the 6th best in Spain but they started poorly and Moyes took over when they were about 16th.

Have to respectfully disagree. He is a fine manager. Look at where everton were when he took over and look where they were when he left, all with that negative spend. He did a similar job under financial restrictions with Preston.

Do agree that sociedad are in a false position. But irrespective that is a great win this evening and I expect moyes to continue that theme. As he has done at every club he has been at, with the exception of that doomed spell at United where he was done up like a kipper by players, fans and board members from the start.

• 10 months later...

Interesting to read this thread and see who can spot a good football manager and who can't... ;)

Hahaha good yin! I'm sorry that sir Alex Ferguson and I have a differing opinion than you on a guy that we both rate highly.

The United job can be written off. Terrible time to go to the club and he was sacked despite having a better record than van gaal after the same amount of games and with more than 200m less spent. Wasn't given the time or support by the United board who appointed him to please ferguson.

His time in San Sebastián was poor, as has been highlighted in the other thread, his heart wasn't in it clearly.

I think he will do exceptionally well at the right club. It won't be long until we find out as he is rated highly in England. Far too early for I told you sos. If he flops the next one then I might agree with you ;)

Hahaha good yin! I'm sorry that sir Alex Ferguson and I have a differing opinion than you on a guy that we both rate highly.

The United job can be written off. Terrible time to go to the club and he was sacked despite having a better record than van gaal after the same amount of games and with more than 200m less spent. Wasn't given the time or support by the United board who appointed him to please ferguson.

His time in San Sebastián was poor, as has been highlighted in the other thread, his heart wasn't in it clearly.

I think he will do exceptionally well at the right club. It won't be long until we find out as he is rated highly in England. Far too early for I told you sos. If he flops the next one then I might agree with you ;)

The excuses you're making for him at Utd are, IMO, pathetic.

It was Moyes who took over the best side in the league. It was he who didn't sign anyone to bolster their defence. It was he who decided to not sign Fellaiani and then sign him after the price had went up. It was he who was in charge when they went on the fruitless chase of Fabregas. It was he who was in charge when Man Utd adopted their shitebag, no-lose, physical style of football.

Comparisons with Van Gaal are ridiculous. Moyes inherited the English Champions. Van Gaal inherited a shambles of a team and a squad which had massive holes in many areas. Van Gaal is also proven himself to be one of the finest managers of his generation, so will undoubtedly be given additional leeway.

Moyes got the Man Utd job on the back of doing no' bad at Everton. Was bizarre at the time and looks even more bizarre now.

Interesting to read and hear about some of the problems at Sociedad, where players were bemused by the lack of tactical work the team did in training. Moyes will do alright in England where physicality and graft alone can succeed. When tactical knowledge, freedom of expression and attacking intent are required, he'll always fail.

No real opinion on Moyes' managerial credentials, but I feel he just got so used to mid-table England and therefore couldn't raise his game at a higher level, or adapt properly to a different style of football.

I'd be careful invoking Ferguson as evidence of who is likely to make a good manager - he touted Craig Levein for the Scotland job.

No real opinion on Moyes' managerial credentials, but I feel he just got so used to mid-table England and therefore couldn't raise his game at a higher level, or adapt properly to a different style of football.

I'd be careful invoking Ferguson as evidence of who is likely to make a good manager - he touted Craig Levein for the Scotland job.

Point well made mate. Edited by flynnyboy

• 10 months later...

“I might be exaggerating but I think, with a top centre-forward, we would have been close to winning the league; we were that good.”

Davie Moyes, as deluded and mental as ever. 

11 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Everton. Apologies, that wasn't clear. 

To be fair, whilst they were along way from the title, the season they finished 4th their forwards were Faddy, Ferguson and Beattie. Their top scorer was Cahill. If they did have a top class forward they might have been closer although I don't think they'd have won it. Their defends was decent back then. 

10 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

To be fair, whilst they were along way from the title, the season they finished 4th their forwards were Faddy, Ferguson and Beattie. Their top scorer was Cahill. If they did have a top class forward they might have been closer although I don't think they'd have won it. Their defends was decent back then. 

It was delusion. They were a decent team that was built on being strong, well organised and difficult to beat. How Moyes thinks a striker could possibly  have bridged the 34 point gap to the champions, I'll never know. 

I look forward to seeing his side get relegated this season. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

It was delusion. They were a decent team that was built on being strong, well organised and difficult to beat. How Moyes thinks a striker could possibly  have bridged the 34 point gap to the champions, I'll never know. 

I look forward to seeing his side get relegated this season. 

Leicester would tend to suggest that it's possible - but only if the opposition all have terrible seasons as well.