My Match Thoughts - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My Match Thoughts

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree regarding the goals we're losing - they were preventable last night and that was the most disappointing thing about it. For the second we had opportunites to clear and didn't, and for the third there was no-one tracking the runner before the ball was pulled back to Rooney.

Last night was disappointing but, as much as it pains me, you have to credit England for their approach to it. They were up for it right from the off and chased all night - watching Rooney hare back into his own half to make a tackle at 2-0 with 10 minutes to go summed them up. They played with the intensity that we needed to and I think their fast start in taking a grip of the ball ensured our support was subdued throughout.

The energy levels weren't there as compared to the Ireland game which I think, rightly or wrongly, has had an effect mentally and physically on the team. Perhaps Strachan could've freshened the team up a bit but would it have made much difference? As said, this was our poorest display for over a year and probably England's best. Their players playing at the top level showed up and were the difference - much as I think he's a total scrote, Wilshere was excellent.

Defensively I'm still concerned that we lack depth there. We need a dominating centre half (not a slight on Hanley or Martin) but neither strike me as the type to really organise the backline like a Colin Hendry used to.

We made it difficult for ourselves by making too many mistakes and conceding possession too easily. Brown didn't have his best night in midfield while we didn't get the ball to Maloney enough. Up front we miss Steven Fletcher in a big way - Martin just can't hold it or link the play as well as he does. Naismith had an off night too.

On the positive though, Andy Robertson I felt did well (took his goal brilliantly) and Anya looked a threat first half. I thought Stevie May and Johnny Russell did well when they went on and should surely not have done their chances of future involvement any harm.

It's disappointing to lose but the big game was Friday and we got the result we needed. We can't let this overshadow the fact we've had a really good year, are playing some good football and have given ourselves a real platform for the rest of the qualifying campaign.

Roll on Gibraltar in March.

Completely agree. Why should the players be fully committed anyway after doing the business against Ireland and in a game that was nothing more than a money making exercise for the SFA. Fair play to England they seemed up for it but personally I could not give a rats arse about last night's game and I certainly don't blame any of the players if they felt the same.

When did it become acceptable to give anything less than 100% in a Scotland shirt regardless of the opposition, let alone England? If those professional athletes had a game 4 days ago were tired and couldn't match the fitness levels of the English, then ok, but to suggest that they couldn't be 100% committed for any reason means they shouldn't be wearing the jersey. This optimizes everything wrong with modern football.

England appeared quicker and stronger in every aspect.our defence was rocking and for the first time under Strachan looked lacking in ideas and creativeness.as perhaps wiser folk on here suggested we shouldn't have played this fixture at this time.

Watched a re-run in the cold (and sober) light of day and looking at it as dispassionately as possible we were clearly second best in nearly every department. England played a high pressing game and we always suffer when that happens as it tends to highlight our lack of technical ability. Anyway, comments on players;

Marshall

No chance with goal and not particularly busy. His kicking's getting worse!

Whittaker

Pretty poor - the Whittaker of old rather than the decent performances he's put in the last few games.

Martin

The most comfortable of the defenders, probably our best player.

Hanley

Unsettled by England's pressing game and looked jittery throughout.

Roberston

Fantastic last 10 minutes but very poor in previous 80. Never hid though and looks like he has the mental strength to push on from this.

Brown

Some sloppy passes and didn't look fully fired up for this one. Nonetheless he was on for 45 mins and we held our own or 30 of those so that says something about his display.

Mulgrew

Another pass mark. A few misplaced passes and comical yellow card aside he was pretty effective in the engine room and in defence when he replaced Hanley.

Anya

Looked dangerous early doors but poor execution highlighted his lack of any real technical ability. Faded.

Maloney

The sole source of any creativity amongst the front four. Tried hard and deserves pass marks.

Naismith

You can always depend on him to put in a shift but the game showed he hasn't got the touch and ball skills to be a proper number 10 at this level. Pretty ineffective

Martin

Isolated but brought nothing to the side.

subs

Gordon

Good to see him back. No chance with goals. Does he share the same kicking coach as Marshall!

May

Worked hard and put himself about but probably only had about 3 touches in half an hour.

Russell

Only on for 9 minutes but helped set up goal.

Morrison

He played pretty well when he came on and, unlike everyone else, came out of a few 50-50's with the ball!

Bannan

Never got into the game.

Fletcher

Looked yards off the pace and gave away possession several times - not going to be an automatic first choice on this form.

Not a great night.

:blink:

When you play these top teams and players you need a slice of luck and our players to be 100% . Alas last night they were well beaten and the second goal was to be fair a tad lucky.

Hanley will get by and no more v your Poland and Ireland however move up a level and he will struggle, very similar to Whittaker. Robertson has been magic but a wee wake up call with Chamberlain giving him a torrid time . Still great going forward and magic goal.

Too many misplaced passes. Got to hope Fletch gets match time and the other Fletch stays fit. I would move Mulgrew back to CH, drop Hanley and put Brown beside Fletcher. Has to be a realisation that Bannan is not the answer at this level. Too small and not enough in his locker to make up for this.

Very impressed with Rooney. Hard working the full 90 minutes and a genuine class act. The best man on the park by a distance.

Two good games, one great result

When you play these top teams and players you need a slice of luck and our players to be 100% . Alas last night they were well beaten and the second goal was to be fair a tad lucky.

Hanley will get by and no more v your Poland and Ireland however move up a level and he will struggle, very similar to Whittaker. Robertson has been magic but a wee wake up call with Chamberlain giving him a torrid time . Still great going forward and magic goal.

Too many misplaced passes. Got to hope Fletch gets match time and the other Fletch stays fit. I would move Mulgrew back to CH, drop Hanley and put Brown beside Fletcher. Has to be a realisation that Bannan is not the answer at this level. Too small and not enough in his locker to make up for this.

Very impressed with Rooney. Hard working the full 90 minutes and a genuine class act. The best man on the park by a distance.

Two good games, one great result

I would agree with a lot of that but I thought Bannan did well when he came on. Was lively and made a couple of good runs. We had a micro-spell when we went close then scored when Bannan, May and Russell's addition looked to have perked things up.

Spot on for me re May and Russell. I just don't see where a big man like Martin fits in to the team up front. Seemed to lack mobility. May and Russell immediately brought a bit of energy although by that time there was three up front !. I would never fault Bannan's enthusiasm but for me he lacks any presence . He looks totally lost on the field at times against the bigger teams. Against smaller opposition no bother but not against your English, Germans , Belgians etc. I wouldn't even contemplate bringing him on against the Germans at home.

A great performance against the Irish was always the main priority.

Spot on for me re May and Russell. I just don't see where a big man like Martin fits in to the team up front. Seemed to lack mobility. May and Russell immediately brought a bit of energy although by that time there was three up front !. I would never fault Bannan's enthusiasm but for me he lacks any presence . He looks totally lost on the field at times against the bigger teams. Against smaller opposition no bother but not against your English, Germans , Belgians etc. I wouldn't even contemplate bringing him on against the Germans at home.

A great performance against the Irish was always the main priority.

Sorry but I was in Dortmund and thought Bannan was our best player in the first half. Looked lively last night as well - certainly not giving hospital passes like Brown did on two or three occasions.

As has been known we do lack real quality centre halves. Darren Fletcher was poor but he's not getting a game for Man Utd at the moment. Thought the 1st half was decent and the 2nd half was piss poor. What annoyed me is when Scotland were lacking penetration and there was no space as England were pressing so well they did try to pass it and often that meant going back or going across and the crowd started to grumble. We still need to eradicate the "punt it up the park" mentality.

On reflection nothing to worry about for most of the reasons already given - Friday's game and off night mainly

Some of the analysis of our overall ability a bit harsh

Consider our performance away in Dortmund against a MUCH better team of players than England for example

Secondly England played the classic away game tactics which is normally what we do - Scotland have never been comfortable being the favourites against England ever

Bottom line is that this could work out ok for us. The famous words you learn more from a defeat than a victory are apt

We will learn much much more from that than England will

We are now clear that if we are not on our A game this is what can happen and it's a perfect example of how our home games against Germany & Poland will go and what is required .. not to mention away in Dublin

Goals change games and all that crap too. We lost a really poor goal - our central defenders were like 2 lamposts

Before that we had a wee period where we were excellent and put a bit of pressure on England & pushed them back which was being cancelled out by giving the ball away cheaply - trying too hard id suggest

Losing that horrendous goal at the start of the second half would have flattened most sides but we stuck in

England did not beat us with wonderful play nor did they dominate us - we contributed to their victory

So nothing to worry about

On reflection nothing to worry about for most of the reasons already given - Friday's game and off night mainly

Some of the analysis of our overall ability a bit harsh

Consider our performance away in Dortmund against a MUCH better team of players than England for example

Secondly England played the classic away game tactics which is normally what we do - Scotland have never been comfortable being the favourites against England ever

Bottom line is that this could work out ok for us. The famous words you learn more from a defeat than a victory are apt

We will learn much much more from that than England will

We are now clear that if we are not on our A game this is what can happen and it's a perfect example of how our home games against Germany & Poland will go and what is required .. not to mention away in Dublin

Goals change games and all that crap too. We lost a really poor goal - our central defenders were like 2 lamposts

Before that we had a wee period where we were excellent and put a bit of pressure on England & pushed them back which was being cancelled out by giving the ball away cheaply - trying too hard id suggest

Losing that horrendous goal at the start of the second half would have flattened most sides but we stuck in

England did not beat us with wonderful play nor did they dominate us - we contributed to their victory

So nothing to worry about

nothing to worry about?

Watched a re-run in the cold (and sober) light of day and looking at it as dispassionately as possible we were clearly second best in nearly every department. England played a high pressing game and we always suffer when that happens as it tends to highlight our lack of technical ability. Anyway, comments on players;

Morrison

He played pretty well when he came on and, unlike everyone else, came out of a few 50-50's with the ball!

Good post. Agree with most of your comments. I've also think Morrison is the about the only player who you could say had a good game.

Just looking at the first England goal again.

If you start the video then hit pause so you can see the first frame, you can see that England's movement for the goal is actually really good.

They've completely overloaded our right flank with 3 midfielders.

Maloney is marking Wellbeck, Brown is marking Downing, and Willshire is unmarked.

Mulgrew is about to pass off Milner to Whittaker, leaving Mulgrew marking space.

Martin, Naismith and Anya are all 20 yards inside our half but marking no-one.

How do you defend against that?

My idea is that it's got to be Naismith's job to pick up Willshire.

http://youtu.be/BBcvL1792KE

Just looking at the first England goal again.

If you start the video then hit pause so you can see the first frame, you can see that England's movement for the goal is actually really good.

They've completely overloaded our right flank with 3 midfielders.

Maloney is marking Wellbeck, Brown is marking Downing, and Willshire is unmarked.

Mulgrew is about to pass off Milner to Whittaker, leaving Mulgrew marking space.

Martin, Naismith and Anya are all 20 yards inside our half but marking no-one.

How do you defend against that?

My idea is that it's got to be Naismith's job to pick up Willshire.

http://youtu.be/BBcvL1792KE

Or, the defender could just stay on the right side of the forward and just head the ball away when it comes into the box. You can argue about who's job it was to do that, but that comes down to what the communication was like between the two defenders. We will never prevent all crosses coming into the box but our defenders have to challenge better than that when they do come in.

Or, the defender could just stay on the right side of the forward and just head the ball away when it comes into the box. You can argue about who's job it was to do that, but that comes down to what the communication was like between the two defenders. We will never prevent all crosses coming into the box but our defenders have to challenge better than that when they do come in.

My take on that is that Robertson has left it for Hanley, and Hanley has simply mis-judged the flight of the ball.

But Wilshire had too much time and space to pick out that ball, and that for me is the story of the match.

Milner and Downing kept Brown and Mulgrew busy while Wilshire was free to dictate play.

henry george, on 20 Nov 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

"England played a high pressing game and we always suffer when that happens as it tends to highlight our lack of technical ability."

Spot on. This has been a classic England tactic against us for years. And generally works too... :cry:

Edited by Red Label

My take on that is that Robertson has left it for Hanley, and Hanley has simply mis-judged the flight of the ball.

But Wilshire had too much time and space to pick out that ball, and that for me is the story of the match.

Milner and Downing kept Brown and Mulgrew busy while Wilshire was free to dictate play.

Hanley's main development area is judging the flight of the ball. It's his Achilles heel. Too many times he mistimes his jump. WGS needs to get big Alex McLeish in as CB coach - his timing was impeccable, generally cause Wullie would shout at him if he got it wrong :wink2: Mind they used to be last in from warm up cause they were practicing doing clearing headers between them - Wullie throwing the ball up for Eck...

My match thoughts:

1. Celtic Park is a dump and I can't wait to get back to Hampden in March. Unfortunate timing perhaps with the Commonwealth games and then subsequent fixtures against England and Ireland but the Ireland game looked like a rugby match the way supporters in Ireland colours were freely allowed into the Scotland end and the trouble that has followed the England game regarding the chanting is mainly down to the game being at Celtic Park as well I believe.

2. How is 'f**k the IRA' an offensive chant? I was at the game and heard Scotland fans chanting 'If you hate the f**king English clap your hands.' That IS offensive yet hasn't been picked up on at all yet the other chant which I can't see how it is offensive has been picked up massively in the media. Can someone explain please?

3. This game performance-wise and perhaps result-wise was one of the low points of Strachan's reign. I think this shows how far we've come though that we genuinely thought we could win this and were left so disappointed with the performance that followed.

4. The atmosphere wasn't overly helped by the music in the stadium. We drove through from Edinburgh playing and singing along to The Official Scotland Supporters CD which I think was given away with Supporters Club membership several years ago. This features 15 decent 'Scotland songs' many of which could have been played pre-match and at half time to help build the atmosphere yet we only got one or two Scotland songs being played at the very last minute and at half time. Strange I thought.

5. It's a great feeling having Gibraltar coming up in March as it feels like the pressure is off us in many ways having got our four difficult games out of the way. Surprised Germany only beat them 4-0 but that looks as close to a guaranteed three points as you'll get in international European football.

6. Awful assault by Charlie Mulgrew which conceded the free kick which led to the second goal. Lucky to escape with a yellow and no need for a tackle like that.

Good post. Agree with most of your comments. I've also think Morrison is the about the only player who you could say had a good game.

I'd certainly have James Morrison in midfield over Charlie Mulgrew. Mulgrew is the classic jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Although we do have a wealth of midfield options so can't be too critical.