My Match Thoughts - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My Match Thoughts

Caledonian Craig

My thoughts on the match last night was that we were well beaten.

For us to get something out of the game it was important all of our players put in a good performance but it just never happened. Brown had a shocker giving away possession in dangerous areas and Martin was out of his depth up front. We also conceded pretty soft goals and at the wrong time. All of these factors were always going to count against us. I don't question the commitment just that we never did ourselves justice by our recent high standards.

What we learned from this friendly is we still have work to do. Also in the coming months Gordon has to look at our strike options as Martin is clearly not up to the task. I thought May and Russell did well when they came on and backs up what I thought pre-match that we should have started with an experimental and fresher side.

At least we managed to score one well worked goal and Robertson had to be our best player on the pitch last night and deserved a goal for his recent performances for us.

Chin up everyone though. Remember the big prize is Euro qualification and we are still right in the mix.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we were beaten by a better team who seemed to want it more. it's worth remembering that the bulk of their team was drawn from the likes of Man United, Chelsea and Arsenal. We had players in our starting XI from Watford, Wigan, Cardiff and Derby. There's no disgrace in losing to a team with that gulf in class although the manner of the defeat is a bit disappointing.

I've thought that Martin had looked OK in spells in his previous few games for us and he's on fire down in the Championship but he looked a bit out of his depth last night. I'd still be prepared to have him in the squad though as we don't have many other players banging them in as regularly at club level.

Robertson continues to impress and there are some indications that he and Anya could have a good partnership down the left in the future. It was good to see Gordon back between the sticks and I thought Russell Martin had a decent game as well and Maloney looked good in flashes. We desperately need to find another centre half from somewhere as Hanley just isn't up to the task and if Hutton and Bardsley are fit Whittaker shouldn't be int he squad, regardless of how versatile he is, as he's a bombscare.

Thought naismith and our whole midfield were rank rotten to be honest. Anya and robertson the only guys who really played with pass marks, but clyne had them well marshalled most of the game.

End of the day it was only a friendly and we beat Ireland so I'm not overly concerned.

Strachan let sentiment cloud his judgement for this one. The players were knackered and he should have rotated, easy to say after the event but it may have been evident in training. Russell looked good when he came on and showed what pace can do - but we still need more pace, power and technique up front. Strachan needs to have a sit down with Tony Watt because I don't see any other players who can provide that.

Delighted to have the 3 points versus Ireland, but in many ways the players were hung out to dry by being asked to get back up to speed for this one. Maloney, Naismith and Anya had nothing in the tank.

The only player I would bin is Chris Martin as he is yet to impress. Whittaker and Hanley have had a number of good games for us so let's not go OTT on the back of a match when so many of our players were sub-par by our recent standards. I mean Brown had a stinker as well so should we bin him? Of course not. A bad day at the office that is all.

Strachan let sentiment cloud his judgement for this one. The players were knackered and he should have rotated, easy to say after the event but it may have been evident in training. Russell looked good when he came on and showed what pace can do - but we still need more pace, power and technique up front. Strachan needs to have a sit down with Tony Watt because I don't see any other players who can provide that.

Delighted to have the 3 points versus Ireland, but in many ways the players were hung out to dry by being asked to get back up to speed for this one. Maloney, Naismith and Anya had nothing in the tank.

I dont think that's good enough to be honest, and I don't think the players should be allowed to hide behind fatigue as an excuse. There are two double headers next year and it will not be enough if half team are too tired to perform in both games.

IMO, Maloney, Naismith and Anya looked lively enough, but Naismith played sh*te, Maloney struggled to get involved and all three came up against pace, effectively nullify their strengths.

Played sh*te and against a better team. If players arent up to double headers, we've got bigger problems.

I think it also reflects on how important Steve Fletcher is to our current game plan.

Correct, yet he has taken a pounding from a few on here. Could do with a goal but he holds up the ball really well, Martin was incapable again and looks way out of depth at International level.

I said it in another post. England put up their best performance of the year last night. We gave our worst.

They had a relatively easy game on Saturday. Ours was a bruising.

As hard as it is to lose to them, we've had one of our best years for a long time. We are going into the remainder of the campaign with anticipation. In the last couple of campaigns, we were already doomed by this time.

Roll on 2015.

A high-tempo game and England revelled in it.

They were stronger, fitter and sharper just about all over the park and it showed the difference in standard from the club level most of our players operate at.

They at a lower club level for good reason and better players will exploit their weaknesses. Add in a bit of fatigue from the Ireland game and England being very motivated and the end result was heartache for us.

One slightly worrying aspect is that Strachan has us set up to play a certain way and England worked us out. Other teams in our group will have watched that and learned a bit.

Another thing that stuck out for me was our lack of strength in depth. We need guys like Darren Fletcher and Barry Bannan getting regular first-team football.

Chris Martin and Whittaker have been slated a bit but, well, they are what they are (squad players) and both made significant contributions to the Ireland win so probably deserve a bit of slack.

Andy Robertson gets praise because of his goal but his lack of experience was exposed a bit, too.

Getting Snodgrass back fit and in form could be vital in the last few qualifiers.

Injuries, and avoiding having too many of our important players out, could be the key to our qualifying success and a lot of that is down to timing and luck. We certainly benefitted from Ireland being without McCarthy and Hoolahan.

The only player I would bin is Chris Martin as he is yet to impress. Whittaker and Hanley have had a number of good games for us so let's not go OTT on the back of a match when so many of our players were sub-par by our recent standards. I mean Brown had a stinker as well so should we bin him? Of course not. A bad day at the office that is all.

Hanley and Whittaker are error prone in every game they play. Whittaker's passing and ball retention are not up to international standard and Hanley gets caught ball watching way too often.

A high-tempo game and England revelled in it.

They were stronger, fitter and sharper just about all over the park and it showed the difference in standard from the club level most of our players operate at.

They at a lower club level for good reason and better players will exploit their weaknesses. Add in a bit of fatigue from the Ireland game and England being very motivated and the end result was heartache for us.

One slightly worrying aspect is that Strachan has us set up to play a certain way and England worked us out. Other teams in our group will have watched that and learned a bit.

Another thing that stuck out for me was our lack of strength in depth. We need guys like Darren Fletcher and Barry Bannan getting regular first-team football.

Chris Martin and Whittaker have been slated a bit but, well, they are what they are (squad players) and both made significant contributions to the Ireland win so probably deserve a bit of slack.

Andy Robertson gets praise because of his goal but his lack of experience was exposed a bit, too.

Getting Snodgrass back fit and in form could be vital in the last few qualifiers.

Injuries, and avoiding having too many of our important players out, could be the key to our qualifying success and a lot of that is down to timing and luck. We certainly benefitted from Ireland being without McCarthy and Hoolahan.

I agree with almost all of what you are saying, but just wanted to comment on that point:

Our way of playing is predicated on Steven Fletcher being in the centre forward position and bringing the other forwards into play. Look at the difference in performance in the bits of the games where he hasn't played, particularly the first half against Germany and the last 20 v Poland. Without him it looks disjointed and too open when it doesn't work because we have four forward type players on the pitch (i.e. it's a high risk / high reward way of playing, unlike Levein's low risk / low reward tactics).

The other thing is that I don't think Ireland can or will play the way England did last night. Dublin will be the usual O'Neill physical / industrial stuff and we'll need to stand up to it. Poland and Germany might have been watching with some interest though.

Looking at last nights game poland is going to be a tough night at hampden. Pains me to say it but england were better than us, but hopefully strachan can learn from this and get us sorted for dublin.

Thought russell done well and stevie may should be given another crack, didn't think he had done too bad.

England went through the game hardly getting out of 1st gear and could very easily have put a couple more past us without breaking a sweat.

Suspect that Strachan (and the players) were far to focused on the Ireland game (which rightfully he should be) that it almost seemed like he could not be bothered with last night.

Hanley and Whittaker are error prone in every game they play. Whittaker's passing and ball retention are not up to international standard and Hanley gets caught ball watching way too often.

ffs Hanley is 22, he didn't do much wrong, there were no bomb scare moments, no daft fouls, no wayward passes, he never lost possession once, and you're slating him??

The critiscm of the team and some players on what was a meaningless friendly has been way over the top. They got the job done on Friday.

Completely agree. Why should the players be fully committed anyway after doing the business against Ireland and in a game that was nothing more than a money making exercise for the SFA. Fair play to England they seemed up for it but personally I could not give a rats arse about last night's game and I certainly don't blame any of the players if they felt the same.

Edited by thplinth

One thing that should be noted is it is England who treated the game more like a 'cup final'. They were well up for it. That's the best I've seen them play for a while, unfortunately Scotland looked too polite and too tired. Could have been a cracker if we were up for it. No harm done really. Lost to a good team and Strachan and the players may have learnt a few lessons. Good education for the youngsters. I assumed Martin was up front as he is big and strong but to be honest Ross McCormack is a better target man than that. I thought Mulgrew was good and young Robertson kept battling and deserved his reward. Nice to see Gordon back in a Scotland shirt. D Fletcher needs to get more club games as looks rusty (he should come to Leeds Utd).

I wouldn't have any knee-jerk reactions over what happened last night.

We did not too bad up until they scored after half an hour and without Fletcher we were not well equipped to go chasing the game with Martin on the pitch. We then conceded a bad second goal at the start of the second half and it was game over. We made changes and looked better for it but in short we played below ourselves whilst England didn't so there was only going to be one winner here.