Grant Hanley - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Grant Hanley

Slide tackle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's the most unreliable of our 'stock' back 4 (Robertson, Hanley, Martin, Hutton), but he's more solid than he gets credit for. Against Ireland he showed great discipline after that early booking. Still got involved, but didn't do anything silly. I honestly don't know how much potential he has, he's past 150 appearances for club and country, that's a lot more than say Anya or Bannan. If he was going to develop into a quality player I'd have expected him to be further along by now, but I have a feeling he'll end up much as he is now. He's not that aware, not comfortable on the ball and incredibly one footed. He is however combative, a willing to stick his head on things and a decent foil for Martin. He's more consistent than Berra and while I respect Greer's contributions, Hanley's 10 years younger and that has to be considered.

Hanley's the best choice for us at the moment imo.

Absolute dearth of decent Scottish centre halfs at the moment means big Hanley's going to be first choice for years to come.Iinjury permitting, the lad could well end up getting 100 caps given how young he is.

I'd be quite happy with that. Big, brave, committed player with more ability than he's sometimes given credit for.

Considering his age and the position he plays in, a position where players generally vastly improve with age and experience, I think he is a very, very decent option to have. An option who will improve considerably in time I think.

It's really not his fault we have so little competition of any quality in that role and he is definitely as good as we have, with that added bonus that although there may be occasional mistakes he will undoubtedly mature into a fine centre half.

I like him.

Edited by flynnyboy

Seems to be that the instant reaction from some people when we lose a goal is to automatically blame Grant Hanley. Some of the stick he gets is unreal.

Always defended him and it's good to see that plenty of folk are starting to value him as a useful and improving young player.

A shout also has to go out to Russell Martin who's been great for us.

Considering his age and the position he plays in, a position where players generally vastly improve with age and experience, I think he is a very, very decent option to have. An option who will improve considerably in time I think.

It's really not his fault we have so little competition of any quality in that role and he is definitely as good as we have, with that added bonus that although there may be occasional mistakes he will undoubtedly mature into a fine centre half.

I like him.

:ok: I agree.

Centre halves peak at 28ish not 23 - be interesting to see where he is in 5 years. Chances are at a poor-ish EPL team but he will have about 60 + caps and hopefully a Euros and World Cup under his belt and will be a solid CB and possible captain for us

But in all honesty when was the last time Scotland's international centre-backs played for a top EPL club? I cannot remember. You could throw in Weir at Everton but wouldn't say they were a top team at that time. Christian Dailly was at West Ham but again they were not a top EPL side. I'd guess at Alan Hansen (Liverpool) and Gary Gillespie.