Grant Hanley - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Grant Hanley

Slide tackle

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While he's far from 'international class' at the moment, he certainly deserves his place. It's also worth remembering that centre-backs can often take far longer to develop than other players. Colin Hendry was 27 before he even made his debut.

Remember he has no experience at top flight level and is young so those factors alone can anyone really slate him when he hasn't been culpible for us conceding loads of goals in key matches. He has been pretty consistent if unspectacular.

Hanley has played a couple of seasons in the EPL with Steve Keans shocking Blackburn side that got relegated. Remember him scoring a header at old trafford. I know he's not the best centre half going but I would have thought he could have got back to a lower half EPL side by now

Hanley has played a couple of seasons in the EPL with Steve Keans shocking Blackburn side that got relegated. Remember him scoring a header at old trafford. I know he's not the best centre half going but I would have thought he could have got back to a lower half EPL side by now

Well my point being although still pretty raw he is our best option. He has been a stalwart in our side for the last year or so when we have stitched together a fine run of form so hardly merits him getting the chop as some would like to see (not saying you Jeck).

Irish tactics, or lack of them, played right to Hanley's strengths.

Any time the ball is in the air, he looks fine.

A liability against anyone with a bit of pace or movement, though, and his distribution still leaves a lot to be desired.

Plenty of time to improve and is obviously thought highly of by people who know a lot more about football than me.

After his solid display in Warsaw, both with and without the ball, I thought Greer might've taken Hanley's place for at least one of the recent games.

After his solid display in Warsaw, both with and without the ball, I thought Greer might've taken Hanley's place for at least one of the recent games.

I would agree with that. I'd have played Greer against England and rested Hanley. I'd also have rested Brown and brought in maybe Bannan or Fletcher and up front would have replaced Martin with May and used Russell earlier. As I said pre-match yesterday I'd sooner lose experimenting than losing playing a strong side with fatigue or mental tiredness issues pus it would have given us the chance to have a better look at other options.

Martin is our best centre half by some distance at the moment. Hanley has potential but gets caught ball watching too often and his positioning can be questionable at best. As others have said he's still young so will hopefully learn and improve but I'd rather he was doing that with his club than with Scotland. Unfortunately we don't have (m)any better options at the moment.

Feels like ever since I've watched Scotland at least one of our players have been described as our "weak link" at any given time.

I don't think the other options, Greer and Berra are any better than Hanley, in fact both have been criticised on here, and ironically probably been described as weak link themselves.

Fact is we are an average team, equally capable of upsetting the bigger teams or having a game littered with individual errors. Strachan is finally a manager who will allow us to play good football and get the best out of an average group of players. All we can hope for is more highs than lows. It's going that way so far :ok:

Edited by ParisInAKilt

Ffs the boy is only 22 and captain of his club. Aye big deal, he makes a mistake and a top quality player punishes him for it. Hanley hasnt let us down in our qualifing group. If he was going to have a bad game then im glad it was against England

Feels like ever since I've watched Scotland at least one of our players have been described as our "weak link" at any given time.

I don't think the other options, Greer and Berra are any better than Hanley, in fact both have been criticised on here, and ironically probably been described as weak link themselves.

Fact is we are an average team, equally capable of upsetting the bigger teams or having a game littered with individual errors. Strachan is finally a manager who will allow us to play good football and get the best out of an average group of players. All we can hope for is more highs than lows. It's going that way so far :ok:

Spot on. :ok:

If you were to delve through the many topics on her since the Euro campaign began I have seen articles slating Hutton, Whittaker, Hanley, Steven Fletcher, Bannan and Martin and I am sure there others. That is around half our team yet we are right in the mix for a qualifying spot so we are either punching above our weight thanks to Strachan and/or those players are not all as bad as some would have us believe.