March Friendly - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

March Friendly

Slide tackle

If anything before the Gibraltar game it should be a training get together with youngsters and a 'B' game.

I agree with this.

Don't think there's many countries bother with the B team set-up anymore however, but a big training squad including promising Under 21s would be good.

We last played Northern Ireland in 2011, that's recent enough. Find someone else to play or don't play a game at all.

Northern Ireland at home not long after the referendum may also give these so called "Ulster-Scots" wallopers (your Irish, now get over it) and the Glasgow England Supporters Club the excuse for a big almighty sash bash. :rolleyes:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have a home game at the new centres of power: Inverness or Hamilton!

Mind you, when was there last an international in Dundee?

Scotland last played in Dundee, at Dens Park, in 1936 :ok:

Don't know if any other international team (Faroes ?, Iceland ?) might have played there since then.

I dont think there was any trouble when we played them at hampden but their anthem got the same treatment as the english one got so they werent best pleased.I have a few pals who come from the north who are sound lads but there is also a few idiots in their support.This game would be just another excuse for our unionist friends to have a big union flag flying competition just to antagonise folk.Which is not what football should be all about.Knowing the sfa they are that daft they prob would have the game on or near july 12th and say its a warm up game for germany.

On a serious point there should be no friendly. The England game is our biggest and yet the atmosphere was pretty poor on Tuesday.

I agree, and I think our manager would too, but I'm sure the SFA needs a friendly here and there: ticket sales and TV rights matter, even if they won't be large for a friendly v N.I.

For me, if there has to be a friendly, make in March not June. In June the Republic play England at home a few days before they play us. If we can avoid playing a friendly in the run-up, I think we'll be fresher and gain a real advantage

Norn Iron would not be my first choice, but it will be a decent competitive game that WGS believes he can get something out of in preparation for our trip to Dublin.

I believe the SFA wanted to play a glamour tie in London against an African nation again.

WGS wants the best for the team and is battling against the money grabbing SFA blazers.

Apologise if already posted.

I would like the SFA to arrange a glamour friendly if such a thing still exists?

The money they've raked in for the past two games much make it viable to tempt a major country to Hampden,who would it be? Brazil,Portugal,Holland,knowing our luck,it'll end up the The Faroe Islands,as an ideal warm up for the Gibraltar match.

Instead of giving discounts or freebies for the Gibraltar game,give anyone whose bought a ticket for the past two games a guaranteed ticket as a 'thank you' at a discounted rate for the 'friendly'.

Given we only had around 50,000 & 45,000 Scotland fans at each game,it seems to be a realistic target.

Will Regan listen,will he feck? Too busy counting his bonuses.

I would like the SFA to arrange a glamour friendly if such a thing still exists?

The money they've raked in for the past two games much make it viable to tempt a major country to Hampden,who would it be? Brazil,Portugal,Holland,knowing our luck,it'll end up the The Faroe Islands,as an ideal warm up for the Gibraltar match.

Instead of giving discounts or freebies for the Gibraltar game,give anyone whose bought a ticket for the past two games a guaranteed ticket as a 'thank you' at a discounted rate for the 'friendly'.

Given we only had around 50,000 & 45,000 Scotland fans at each game,it seems to be a realistic target.

Will Regan listen,will he feck? Too busy counting his bonuses.

i'm not really that fussed for getting major countries over for a friendly, i would rather get teams across that we have a decent chance of beating and will give us a good test.

Its all about beating Gibraltar, getting a result in Ireland and getting in Pot 2 for the World Cup draw in July.

Playing Brazil, Portugal or Holland probably wont help us towards Pot 2. Playing N Ireland should

In terms of the possibility of being in pot 2 for the World Cup draw, a friendly against a side just a few places below us at home is ideal. Feck glamorous ties, I want the best chance of a decent World Cup group. Remember the last time we had a "glamour" friendly (Brazil), it put us 16 places down the rankings.

The 2 I've been too weren't a kick in the arse off it from what I remember. Nigeria in 2002 and Belarus I think round about 98-99

Would they have sold more than 20k at Hampden at same prices? I think so.

The way folk go on here you'd think the bulk of our support is from North East, which is simply untrue.

Gordon Smith had grand ambitions to bring the top nations for games at Hampden (he talked about 1 big game a year and if Argentina had been a success then we would get Brazil the following year).

These nations demand a fee of £1m upfront.... SSC didn't/just broke even with the Argentina game, as to make their money back they need to charge silly money (granted that is what they are doing now.

Also given the controversy of the last time we played Brazil and the fall out, suspect it will be many a years before we play them again.

I have had the feeling for a while now that Strachan does not really care for friendlies.....

Northern Irish fans that I came across in Dublin for the Carling Cup game were brand new.

Mind you, might be a different kettle of fish in Glasgow. Might bring out the knuckle dragging idiots from their foxholes in Bridgeton and Govan for a tasty evening of sash bashing. And the difference being that the genuine Northern Irish fans won't bat an eyelid about having that lot amongst them.

Norn Iron would not be my first choice, but it will be a decent competitive game that WGS believes he can get something out of in preparation for our trip to Dublin.

I believe the SFA wanted to play a glamour tie in London against an African nation again.

WGS wants the best for the team and is battling against the money grabbing SFA blazers.

A "glamour tie" against an Africian nation in London would ding dang do for me.

Easiest point ever.

How about Upton Park this time. Although if it were back at Fulham I wouldn't shed a tear as the pub crawl was brilliant (and it's the right side of town for Paddington).

J

A "glamour tie" against an Africian nation in London would ding dang do for me.

Easiest point ever.

How about Upton Park this time. Although if it were back at Fulham I wouldn't shed a tear as the pub crawl was brilliant (and it's the right side of town for Paddington).

J

The Ivory Coast was the murmur being mentioned by some off my ITK chums on Tuesday. Didn't say where though or even if it was in March or June Edited by DoonTheSlope

Would they have sold more than 20k at Hampden at same prices? I think so.

The way folk go on here you'd think the bulk of our support is from North East, which is simply untrue.

Agreed.

It's the whole support that's from the North East, not just the bulk.

Surely there will be a friendly.....there's quite a gap between end of season & ROI match.

I would hope there is one to get the players ready, but he scraped the Malta friendly before Croatia, and after last week it was clear the england game was put on a total back burner until Ireland game was over with, so maybe Strachan will feel a friendly before the game in Dublin might not be a good thing....

Suppose just need to wait and see.