Super Hans (Gilhaus) - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Super Hans (Gilhaus)

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/hans-gillhaus-recalls-aberdeen-highlights-1-3613384

just read this article on Hans Gilhaus

i well remember the 5-0 doing at St Johnstone (beano sent off i think)

and the 'word on the street' was in Aberdeen that indeed a ram my had kicked off on the team bus on way to game

- rumour in town was too , that hans was indeed 'batting for the other team' and McLeish specifically to exception to this on said journey to Perth

it appears to be total hogwash now , and likely originated from the same taxi driver who took frank rikjard to play golf at westhill with stewart milne.....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/hans-gillhaus-recalls-aberdeen-highlights-1-3613384

and the 'word on the street' was in Aberdeen that indeed a ram my had kicked off on the team bus on way to game

- rumour in town was too , that hans was indeed 'batting for the other team' and McLeish specifically to exception to this on said journey to Perth

it appears to be total hogwash now , and likely originated from the same taxi driver who took frank rikjard to play golf at westhill with stewart milne.....

When I look back now, it's an astonishing story.

We bought one of the best forwards in Europe from the European cup winners for 800 grand...can you imagine that ?

He was a fabulous goalscorer was Hans.....his first 2 games for the club have gone down in legend.

What's equally astonishing is that the club treated him so poorly at the end of his contract (under Miller's management ?)....we should have offered him the earth to keep him, or at the very least flogged him for millions to the big names clubs that were wanting to buy him. instead, we just pushed him aside and didn't even give him a game.

Unbelievable... :blink:

Rumours of his sexuality arose because Scottish players at the time simply couldn't accept a European player who was committed to improving himself....no drinking, no going out of the town, no being 'one of the lads'.

Of course, if he preferred to stay in on a Saturday night instead of heading out to a club, downing 20 pints and chasing 18 year olds, that must have meant that he was gay. Plenty of big names around the club at that time....McKimmie et al, showed themselves up to be utter bawbags.

I'm glad that Hans has fond memories of Aberdeen, because the fans certainly enjoyed having him there. Great player. :ok:

When I look back now, it's an astonishing story.

We bought one of the best forwards in Europe from the European cup winners for 800 grand...can you imagine that ?

He was a fabulous goalscorer was Hans.....his first 2 games for the club have gone down in legend.

What's equally astonishing is that the club treated him so poorly at the end of his contract (under Miller's management ?)....we should have offered him the earth to keep him, or at the very least flogged him for millions to the big names clubs that were wanting to buy him. instead, we just pushed him aside and didn't even give him a game.

Unbelievable... :blink:

Rumours of his sexuality arose because Scottish players at the time simply couldn't accept a European player who was committed to improving himself....no drinking, no going out of the town, no being 'one of the lads'.

Of course, if he preferred to stay in on a Saturday night instead of heading out to a club, downing 20 pints and chasing 18 year olds, that must have meant that he was gay. Plenty of big names around the club at that time....McKimmie et al, showed themselves up to be utter bawbags.

I'm glad that Hans has fond memories of Aberdeen, because the fans certainly enjoyed having him there. Great player. :ok:

There were quite a few scurrilous rumours at that time. I remember a specific one regarding a Rangers and Scotland defensive stalwart and a penchant for young men that seemed to be around for years.

i was at that game, was not long after McDiarmid was built

i was also at the 5-0 game at Tannadice when Windass was sent off several times

I think those maybe are the only two game i have seen Aberdeen in as a 'neutral' i should go more often

There were quite a few scurrilous rumours at that time. I remember a specific one regarding a Rangers and Scotland defensive stalwart and a penchant for young men that seemed to be around for years.

We spent an early evening with Richard Gough at Augusta a few years back. After the golf, he came to Hooters with us for a few beers (despite knowing we were all Dons fans). Absolute top lad. Told some great stories and was just generally a great laugh. As we were all leaving and saying cheerio I just about died when two of our lads starting signing "Richard Gough.......", thankfully it ended ".......Scotland Legend".

Gilhaus has a very trong case for making my all time Dons Starting 11. Fantastic player.

I was at that game too. Because of the huge difference between Saints and Aberdeen at the time it was viewed as one of the all time shocks, unlike now if it happened. I remember the next game we played Aberdeen after that at home. Saints were handing out wee badges that said, "Was it really 5 last time?" I was just a bairn. Happy times. :)

Then they signed Romario. “When the European Cup was won, a little bit of the hunger was maybe gone,” says Gillhaus. “We were never at the same level after that. I was happy there, but there was not enough game time. I was behind Romario. The rest of the world was probably behind Romario. I just needed a fresh start and Aberdeen were very eager. They did a good job of making it interesting to me. They were a good team, but the type of football they played also helped.”

One of the most ridiculous paragraphs I've ever read about Aberdeen Football Club. Doesn't even seem like it could be real. :-))

Those were the days. Bear in mind also that Ajax signed an Aberdeen player (Zoltan Varga) to replace Johan Cruyff back in the mid 70s and that Barcelona signed former Aberdeen player Steve Archibald from Spurs in the mid 80s to replace Diego Maradona.

Those were the days. Bear in mind also that Ajax signed an Aberdeen player (Zoltan Varga) to replace Johan Cruyff back in the mid 70s and that Barcelona signed former Aberdeen player Steve Archibald from Spurs in the mid 80s to replace Diego Maradona.

Yet Darren Mackie ended up at Turriff.

Madness.

Let's not forget Charlie Nicholas, signed from Arsenal.

Mental.

And we had no debt. Where did the cash come from ? Was auld Dick printing it himself ? :blink:

and hibs signed Archiegoal from barca doubt we'll be getting Lionel anytime soon

£650K for Gillhaus - incredible for what Aberdeen were buying.

I too was at the 5-0 game. We missed at least 2 easy chances early on then every attempt Saints had went in. I've yet to see another player sent off for the same challenge that Robertson carried out.

Even at 2 down and 10 I still we'd win. By the time the 4th went in most of us were laughing in disbelief.

Easily the most bizarre game I've been at.

Let's not forget Charlie Nicholas, signed from Arsenal.

Mental.

And we had no debt. Where did the cash come from ? Was auld Dick printing it himself ? :blink:

Start of December we sold Joe Miller to Celtic for £650k. Remember a Celtic fan giving me major stick about buying him - I said (jokingly) that we'd sign Charlie Nicholas with the money.

Could not believe when the news broke 4 weeks later on Hogmanay that he was indeed on his way to Pittodrie.

For 5 months we had Gillhaus, Nicholas and Jess all in the same team. :love:

Start of December we sold Joe Miller to Celtic for £650k. Remember a Celtic fan giving me major stick about buying him - I said (jokingly) that we'd sign Charlie Nicholas with the money.

Could not believe when the news broke 4 weeks later on Hogmanay that he was indeed on his way to Pittodrie.

For 5 months we had Gillhaus, Nicholas and Jess all in the same team. :love:

Paul Mason was quality too , cant recall exact timeline though

vanished at ipswich

True.

Come to think of it I don't think Gillhaus, Nicholas and Jess played that many times together.

Mixu and Booth came in too later , quality going downhill a bit

although from memory SAFs last signing was Davie Dodds ??? - thought it may have been some cruel joke

- but he did get rid of Stevie (the 'free babysitter') Cowan

could well be another urban myth ; but he was rank

Mixu and Booth came in too later , quality going downhill a bit

although from memory SAFs last signing was Davie Dodds ??? - thought it may have been some cruel joke

- but he did get rid of Stevie (the 'free babysitter') Cowan

could well be another urban myth ; but he was rank

Cowan left in '85.

His first game for Hibs was against us.

Fortunately it was also Jim Bett's first game and we strolled a 3-0.