Best Films You Have Seen In 2014 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Best Films You Have Seen In 2014

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order:

Boyhood

Wolf of Wall Street

Interstellar

Calvary

Edge of tomorrow

Hobbit 2

Automata

Dawn of the POTA

Though the Grand Budapest hotel was ridiculously camp, and I'm done with any comic book / superhero film, they're all pretty much identical structure and plot wise, I get utterly bored with them.

Recent remakes like Godzilla (2014) and robocop (2014) are perfectly adequate but I have no desire to re-watch them.

I know the Hobbit movies are flawed but I have a soft spot for them and the completionist in me will go and watch the last one some point in the next few weeks.

In no particular order and reflecting a lot of earlier lists:

The Drop

Inside Llewyn Davis

Gone Girl

Grand Budapest Hotel

Guardians of the Galaxy

12 Years a Slave

Although I thought Jake Gyllenhaal was fantastic in it (definite oscar nomination I'd say), I wasn't actually all that impressed with Nightcrawler. Was a mixture of great scenes and parts that were just meh.

One recently that was a bit below the radar but was really enjoyable was The Skeleton Twins. Great black comedy.

Surprised at a few people not liking Grand Budapest Hotel, but I suppose Wes Anderson can be a bit of a Marmite film maker.

Only just clocked it is a Wes Anderson film. I thought it was one of those fruity The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel type thing, I love Wes Anderson out am so out of touch, what with the kids etc. Right ordering it now!

In no particular order:

American Hustle

Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom

12 Years A Slave

Captain Phillips

Wolf of Wall Street

Dallas Buyers Club

Edge Of Tomorrow

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Fury

Nightcrawler

Interstellar

Has anyone seen The Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch? Considering going to see it, have heard good things. Also heard good things about St Vincent, anyone seen that yet?

I'll definitely be going to see the final Hobbit movie as well - I've got a soft spot for them. Same with the Hunger Games (although that soft spot is probably more for Jennifer Lawrence...)

In no particular order:

American Hustle

Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom

12 Years A Slave

Captain Phillips

Wolf of Wall Street

Dallas Buyers Club

Edge Of Tomorrow

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Fury

Nightcrawler

Interstellar

Has anyone seen The Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch? Considering going to see it, have heard good things. Also heard good things about St Vincent, anyone seen that yet?

I'll definitely be going to see the final Hobbit movie as well - I've got a soft spot for them. Same with the Hunger Games (although that soft spot is probably more for Jennifer Lawrence...)

I recommend Imitation game... really enjoyed it, knew bits of the story but Benedict did a grand job... good bit of social history as well

I really liked "The 100 Year Old Man who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared", although I don't think it was a "blockbuster". Swedish film - very offbeat and funny....

I've read the book and thought it was quite good - quite a lot goes on to cram into a film though!

Have to take issue with some of the amazing films Channel4 left off their list.

Not a single Fritz Lang, Sergio Leone, Akira Kurosawa or Charlie Chaplin film included ? Also can't believe they also left out The Grand Illusion, Stagecoach, Rome - Open City, The Bicycle Thieves, High Noon, 12 Angry Men and Taxi Driver.

Mind you it does have The Apartment and Touch of Evil listed on it which are both superb films and criminally underrated.