Ayr To Be Next Force - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ayr To Be Next Force

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised at that! A Rangers shop would really fit in with all the pound shops :ok:

Are we really using the inner city social problems that are being created by big business jumping into bed with developers to build out of town retail parks, to "banter" with fans of other teams?

:worried:

Don't believe Ayr has ever had a documentary made about it to highlight just how manky the town and its people really are. :wink2:

Haha aye the one with the kilmarnock resident shooting up in his favourite Rangers top??

Somerset park has to be the worse football ground that one has had the displeasure of visiting it should be closed down seriously l see the Ayr fans are getting into there usual infantile rants can only assume that there really jealous of there much bigger neighbour killie who have won a fast superior amount of silver ware comperd to the minnows from Somerset park whom l believe have not won any major trophies since there inception way back in the early 1900s may l take this opportunity in wishing you the minnows from South Ayrshire a happy Christmas and all the best for the new year

Somerset park has to be the worse football ground that one has had the displeasure of visiting it should be closed down seriously l see the Ayr fans are getting into there usual infantile rants can only assume that there really jealous of there much bigger neighbour killie who have won a fast superior amount of silver ware comperd to the minnows from Somerset park whom l believe have not won any major trophies since there inception way back in the early 1900s may l take this opportunity in wishing you the minnows from South Ayrshire a happy Christmas and all the best for the new year

I think most soap dodgers will actually disagree with you and see Somerset as one of there best away days. If you think sitting in your legoland stadium beats the Somerset oldschool experience thats fine but oldschool rules.

Both Ayr and Killie are two of the better away days in Scotland. Need to do something about the toilet 'facilities' at Somerset though - nearly as bad as the main stand at Firhill and that dungeon they have at Central Park (complete with jobby floating in a seatless toilet the last time I visited...).

I love the piggery :love: .

Seen us win, lose, and draw there - always a cracking atmosphere. Hope they start climbing the leagues so we can play them in the top division.

This.

Glad some of the great unwashed can see the charm of the San Sommerset. No better atmosphere than a ayrshire Derby at Sommerset.

Valentine's day 1998 being my favourite moment in football.

Think the piggery is a love/hate thing. Hate the run down should be condemned stadium but as one of the previous posts say the atmosphere on Ayrshire derby day takes a lot to be beaten. Would it be the same if the piggery was all shiny and new I don't know but I would love to get to just one more derby at the old ground before it goes

This.

Glad some of the great unwashed can see the charm of the San Sommerset. No better atmosphere than a ayrshire Derby at Sommerset.

Valentine's day 1998 being my favourite moment in football.

I like Somerse.

14th od February 1998 was a poor day for us but your fave moment in football is putting the holders out the cup. My fave moment is actually winning it.

Something Ayr fans will never experience. Bit llike you'll never experience winning the league cup either or being champions of Scotland or playing Real Madrid in European cup etc.

I'd take Ayr getting investment and being semi decen. TThey've been an irrelevance for decades.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Surely Ayr have the potential to be at least as well supported as Killie? It's a bigger town isn't it? (albeit slightly).

I'm old enough to remember when Ayr commanded a half decent support and I sure with a bit of investment/success they could win a lot back.

Killie fans make me laugh. Especially the younger generation. St. Mirren fans could easily take the same view of Morton, but I for one know that they are just as capable on their day to draw a decent crowd and that our roles could easily be reversed over a matter of a few seasons. Same with Killie and Ayr.

Oh and Somerset Park was always one of my favourite away trips. Was a great wee atmosphere for away fans.

Surely Ayr have the potential to be at least as well supported as Killie? It's a bigger town isn't it? (albeit slightly).

I'm old enough to remember when Ayr commanded a half decent support and I sure with a bit of investment/success they could win a lot back.

Killie fans make me laugh. Especially the younger generation. St. Mirren fans could easily take the same view of Morton, but I for one know that they are just as capable on their day to draw a decent crowd and that our roles could easily be reversed over a matter of a few seasons. Same with Killie and Ayr.

Oh and Somerset Park was always one of my favourite away trips. Was a great wee atmosphere for away fans.

Regarding the size of towns you could argue Inverness have the potential for bigger crowds than Killie but despite playing a lot better than them over the past 18 months Killie still get bigger home crowds.

Agree with you about younger Killie fans though. They are used to seeing Killie in the top flight and dont know different.

I was 31 before Killie won a major trophy and can remember the dark days of the mid 80s. Can remember Airdrie giving us a 5-0 spanking at the old Rugby Park!

When we won the League Cup in 2012 I remember telling my 9 year old nephew to savour it as days like that are few and far between when you follow Killie

How do you deem "younger generation"?

I'm in my 30s now, I've seen us play in the same league as Ayr for about 4 of my 25+ years going to RP. For the last 21 Ayr have been at least one (sometimes 2) league below us.

Ww were poor in the mid 80s granted, however many of those who saw that spell (like my dad) also saw us be champions of Scotland, play in the European Cup, get to the Semi Final of European Competiion etc.

I don't think you can compare Killie/Ayr to St Mirren/Morton.

Neither St Mirren, nor Morton have had the same gap between them as we have had with Ayr over the past quarter of a century.

I want Ayr to be good, I miss the derbies. There's guys on our bus who've never seen us play Ayr in the League.

I'd also say Killie have a bigger support (both active and dormant) throughout North Ayrshire and other parts of Ayrshire.

For example there was 3 seperate supporters clubs in Saltcoats/Ardrossan for Killie in the mid 90s (only one now). I've never known an Ayr bus leave from there.

I'd also say Killie have a bigger support (both active and dormant) throughout North Ayrshire and other parts of Ayrshire.

For example there was 3 seperate supporters clubs in Saltcoats/Ardrossan for Killie in the mid 90s (only one now). I've never known an Ayr bus leave from there.

Maybe it all started with Gloryhunters?

Ayr have never won anything, have they?