Pitlochry - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Spending a long weekend in April up in Pitlochry. Perth racing on the Friday, Paintball and Whisky tours on the Saturday. Any good recommendations for pubs on the Saturday night?

There are only two in the centre now that are open in the evening. Kingfisher Bar and Mackay's just a two minute walk away from that. Years ago Mackays would double up as a late bar/club that would attract the local youngsters. I'm not sure if it's still the same. There was also a daytime bar. The Old Mill I think. I don't know if this is open at night or even open at all as it's been years since I have had a swally there.

Got to be the Moulin. If you like real ales and open fires.

Seconded. Best pub for miles, nothing in or around Pitlochry comes close. Its hotel is nice too and the food is braw. Get yersel up a hill or two whilst yer there.

Edited by Bzzzz

Not too fussed about late night license, although I did see on Mackays website that they are open until 1.30am on a Friday and Saturday. Going by the fact that one of the group is in his early 60s, one will have become a dad the month before, and another had twins 3 months ago, if the group see 10.00pm after a whisky tour I will be impressed.

Got to be the Moulin. If you like real ales and open fires.

Seconded. Best pub for miles, nothing in or around Pitlochry comes close. Its hotel is nice too and the food is braw. Get yersel up a hill or two whilst yer there.

Great pub

The Moulin is a great pub but the fact that it is miles up the hill from Pitlochry centre ruins it. Unless you have a designated driver or a local taxi number there is nothing near the Moulin.

It's a good stop off place on the way back down from Ben Vrackie though.

I like Pitlochry. The Moulin is a good bar. The golf course isnae too bad either (wee bit hilly) and, as stated above, good food......

The golf course is a good hill course with some interesting holes - a lot of people who don't play hill courses will see the length of it (5414 off yellow) and think it's pish, but that misses the point of hill courses - raised greens, uphill par fours that need a driver and a 3 wood, hidden burns, gorse etc. It can easily feel like it's well over 6000.

It also has some of the most amazing views you'll ever get on a golf course.

Edited by biffer

The golf course is a good hill course with some interesting holes - a lot of people who don't play hill courses will see the length of it (5414 off yellow) and think it's pish, but that misses the point of hill courses - raised greens, uphill par fours that need a driver and a 3 wood, hidden burns, gorse etc. It can easily feel like it's well over 6000.

I'm not ordinarily a fan of hilly golf courses. However, when you consider the surrounding landscape, they did really well to make a decent and enjoyable course here. I agree that it is longer than you might think from the yardages.

As well as being long in places, and if I recall correctly, there's a tricky downhill par three that I went OB through the back despite under clubbing for the yardage.

Leave your Skycaddie at home would be my advice, yardages won't help you!

I'm not ordinarily a fan of hilly golf courses. However, when you consider the surrounding landscape, they did really well to make a decent and enjoyable course here. I agree that it is longer than you might think from the yardages.

As well as being long in places, and if I recall correctly, there's a tricky downhill par three that I went OB through the back despite under clubbing for the yardage.

Leave your Skycaddie at home would be my advice, yardages won't help you!

I used to be a member at Lothianburn, fantastic hill course which no longer exists as it went bust last year. 9th hole was an absolute beast - 324 yards uphill, could be a driver and a 3 wood and still come up short if it was windy. On the flip side, driving off on the 580 yard 14th it was possible to hit it 400 yards, given it was downhill next to the artificial ski slope!

And you're right about things like SkyCaddie - yardages are incredibly misleading on hill courses, which is all part of the fun.

Edited by biffer

The Moulin is a great pub but the fact that it is miles up the hill from Pitlochry centre ruins it. Unless you have a designated driver or a local taxi number there is nothing near the Moulin.

Eh? It's only 1km off the main drag. There's pubs in Glasgow with longer walks to the toilets!

Aye, one of my favourite golf courses. Although a lot of the folk I often play with wouldn't survive the first 5 holes straight up the hill. Heart attack city. There is none of this "stand up and hit the ball as hard as you can stuff", you have really got to think about every shot.

That's the 16th which is a great golf hole. If you hit the green it's an easy 3 or maybe a birdie. Miss the green and it could be 5,6 or even more. Last time I played it, I pushed and thinned an 8 iron straight out right into the trees. A couple of "thunks" later the ball reappeared onto the middle of the green, much to the annoyance of my playing partners. "The more I practice the luckier I get".

There are only two in the centre now that are open in the evening. Kingfisher Bar and Mackay's just a two minute walk away from that. Years ago Mackays would double up as a late bar/club that would attract the local youngsters. I'm not sure if it's still the same. There was also a daytime bar. The Old Mill I think. I don't know if this is open at night or even open at all as it's been years since I have had a swally there.

My wife and I stayed at the Old Mill 2 years ago. It was open all day then. The food was good and they had some a few good real ales on. As already stated the Moulin is top notch and just a 15/20 minute stroll up the road.

Edited by crossan

I was there at the end of August. Old Mill was open quite late although felt it was a bit "soulless". Rather randomly the day we were there (last Saturday in August) was "fancy dress" so at night everyone was out in all sorts of fancy dress outfits. Takes you by surprise when you're not expecting it and have been malt tasting all day! I've still got no idea what the reason for the whole town being in fancy dress was!

As an aside, Edradour is a cracking wee distillery to visit with some lovely whiskies.