Dennis Law, Any Older Ta Recall Him Playing - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dennis Law, Any Older Ta Recall Him Playing

Robroysboy

The statue outside Old Trafford isn't there for nothing.Best the best British player ever,Denis the king,Charlton the soul of Manchester.

I wouldn't even have Best in the top 20. A waster who was brilliant on his day but was only on he's day occasionally and for about 5 or 6 years. Dalglish is the greatest "British" player ever in my opinion anD produced regularly for over 15 years. Law would be a close 2nd.

I wouldn't even have Best in the top 20. A waster who was brilliant on his day but was only on he's day occasionally and for about 5 or 6 years. Dalglish is the greatest "British" player ever in my opinion anD produced regularly for over 15 years. Law would be a close 2nd.

You're dead right about Best. He gets mythologised because of some folk's envy about his drinking and women, but he was simply (at the most generous) the third best player in a very good United team, and was effective for only 3 or 4 years, quickly being exposed as short of top class when he was asked to do it for a declining United side.

Greatest British ever? Well, that's an interesting one to discuss - Bobby Charlton, Gordon Banks, Kenny Dalglish, Denis Law, Tom Finney and (my slight favourite) John Charles would all be in the frame, I think - but not Best, no way

You're dead right about Best. He gets mythologised because of some folk's envy about his drinking and women, but he was simply (at the most generous) the third best player in a very good United team, and was effective for only 3 or 4 years, quickly being exposed as short of top class when he was asked to do it for a declining United side.

Greatest British ever? Well, that's an interesting one to discuss - Bobby Charlton, Gordon Banks, Kenny Dalglish, Denis Law, Tom Finney and (my slight favourite) John Charles would all be in the frame, I think - but not Best, no way

Good shout for John Charles. Everything I've read about him and the footage there is shows the guy had something special.

A while ago now I was listening to some idiots on the radio (think it was on 5live) discussing who the greatest ever Welsh footballer was. All they talked about was Giggs, Rush, Hughes and Southall (great players but none are the greatest ever Welsh footballer) whilst totally ignoring Welsh international greats like Billy Meredith, Ivor Allchurch and John Charles. Another nugget of wisdom they pulled out was that Ally McCoist had to be "Scotland's greatest ever player".

Stan Matthews, Tommy Lawton, Bobby Moore, Dixie Dean are others I'd consider for England.

Billy Bremner, Hughie Gallacher, Alex James, Billy Liddell, Dave Mackay, Billy Steel, Jim Baxter and Gary Teale would be on my list for Scotland alongside Law and Dalglish if we were considering the "greatest British player."

Law was the greatest Scottish player ever.

Did anyone see him being interviewed in the BBC Alba football documentary on 2nd January - Tartan Pride? Maybe still on iplayer. At the very end Law gets all choked up talking about playing for Scotland (while Caledonia plays in the background).

I only had the pleasure of seeing him once on the park - Czechoslovakia. And for the first time in my life I watched a player off the ball rather than follow the ball. I remember thinking at the time it was like watching Rod Stewart front The Faces. I was utterly mesmerised by the man. He just didn't have the legs left then to complete a clear run in on goal to clinch the game near the end; I was almost running for him sitting in the stand with my Dad.

Years later at Glasgow airport, the night after he was inducted in the Hall of Fame, he was in the queue boarding the flight to Manchester. I was so shocked that I was taller than him - nobody should be taller than Denis Law ! - that I stammered hello and walked on, regretting to this day not having at least a 30 second chat with him and getting his autograph.

Law was the greatest Scottish player ever.

Did anyone see him being interviewed in the BBC Alba football documentary on 2nd January - Tartan Pride? Maybe still on iplayer. At the very end Law gets all choked up talking about playing for Scotland (while Caledonia plays in the background).

I only had the pleasure of seeing him once on the park - Czechoslovakia. And for the first time in my life I watched a player off the ball rather than follow the ball. I remember thinking at the time it was like watching Rod Stewart front The Faces. I was utterly mesmerised by the man. He just didn't have the legs left then to complete a clear run in on goal to clinch the game near the end; I was almost running for him sitting in the stand with my Dad.

Years later at Glasgow airport, the night after he was inducted in the Hall of Fame, he was in the queue boarding the flight to Manchester. I was so shocked that I was taller than him - nobody should be taller than Denis Law ! - that I stammered hello and walked on, regretting to this day not having at least a 30 second chat with him and getting his autograph.

I watched tartan pride and that was the inspiration for this thread.

I am jealous of you having the opportunity to watch him play for Scotland, sounds a real star and worthy of his hall of fame status.

Good shout for John Charles. Everything I've read about him and the footage there is shows the guy had something special.

A while ago now I was listening to some idiots on the radio (think it was on 5live) discussing who the greatest ever Welsh footballer was. All they talked about was Giggs, Rush, Hughes and Southall (great players but none are the greatest ever Welsh footballer) whilst totally ignoring Welsh international greats like Billy Meredith, Ivor Allchurch and John Charles. Another nugget of wisdom they pulled out was that Ally McCoist had to be "Scotland's greatest ever player".

Stan Matthews, Tommy Lawton, Bobby Moore, Dixie Dean are others I'd consider for England.

Billy Bremner, Hughie Gallacher, Alex James, Billy Liddell, Dave Mackay, Billy Steel, Jim Baxter and Gary Teale would be on my list for Scotland alongside Law and Dalglish if we were considering the "greatest British player."

Gary Teale and Bobby Moore - you're a wag!!

Almost.

Stan Matthews (very complimentary about Scottish players and Scottish football in his autobiography) picked Law and Alan Gilzean to play in his own team of players versus the ROTW in an exhibition matchat Stoke's old ground. Willie Henderson and Jim Baxter got picked for the ROTW.

These were the teams

Matthews XI:

Tony Waiters, Jimmy Armfield, George Cohen, Johnny Haynes, Bobby Thomson, Denis Law, Stanley Matthews, Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Charlton, Alan Gilzean, Cliff Jones

Subs: Bryan Douglas, John Ritchie, Ray Wilson, Roger Hunt, Kai Johansen

Rest of the World XI:

Lev Yashin, Karl-Heinz Schnellinger, Wolfgang Weber, Ján Popluhár, Josef Masopust, Jim Baxter, Willie Henderson, Raymond Kopa, Alfredo Di Stéfano, Ferenc Puskás, Eusébio.

Subs: Hans Tilkowski, Uwe Seeler, Hans Schäfer, Wolfgang Overath, Francisco Gento, László Kubala, Godfried van den Boer.

The ROTW won the match 6-4. Must have been incredible for those watching it.

What a compliment for Law and the others to be rated by a giant of the game like Matthews.

####in hell :shocked: Puskas, Eusebio, Di Stefano and Kopa. That's some front line. Gento and Kubala on the bench too :lol:

They were all set to give Gary Teale the Ballon d'Or a few years ago but he he smashed into the back of Platini's new Bentley before the ceremony and that was that.

Aye, and those wristwatches that Platini and all the rest of them got given as a 'gift' a wee while back - shame Bobby Moore's not around anymore, he'd have nicked a few o'them

Remember him scoring against Peru in the early 1970s & a few of us trying to run on the park to celebrate from the North Terracing. Never got any further than the red ash.

Met him in the Electric Bar in Motherwell at a Q & A session sponsored by a drinks company. Had a few choice words to say about Bob Wilson playing for us.

Absolute Legend

the elephant in the room am assuming is with respect to politics

tbh am totally bored by the whole thing now ; where every thread turns into the same guff

at some point some folk may clue in that a working class boy from the tenements with borrowed boots made it to the top of the game, represented his country with pride can have his views without being labelled a turncoat or some other infantile pish

In the early 70's i went to see Ipswich Town v Man Utd, for those to young to remember, Utd were the glamour team. I can recall the girls all coming to see George Best, the English guys to see Bobby Charlton but I was there to see the "KING" Denis Law.

The other two were great players as we all know but for me Denis was the KING !

I can just about remember watching the qualifier against Czechoslovakia (my Dad was at the game, he came home half-jaked but happy at about 1 in the morning). He was well past his prime by that stage, but ran himself into the ground for the team that night. I think he was so fvcked he had to lie down at one point (may have been cramp I suppose) and the commentator (probably the late, great Arthur Montford) making a joke about it. By the time the games in Germany came around he really was on the way down as a player, but still it was fitting such a great player actually got to play in the Finals.