Summer Football - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Summer Football

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The details of how it would work are needed and what happens in world cup or European championship year.

Also they have summer football in Sweden. Are their crowds bigger than ours?

I don't see how that would affect Scottish football much.

As you say, Swedish football manages it and they appear more often than us in bif tournaments.

You also have the African Cup of Nations on at the moment with players from all over the top leagues in Europe.

I'm all in favour of it and think the crowds would go up.

I'm a real part-timer but would defo go to more games if we had matches right through the better weather months.

Can I ask if football and say rugby goes summer season up in Scotland, what the hell are you gonna do to fill your miserable winter Saturday afternoons?

I believe both football and rugby was positioned as winter sports to give the 'working man' something to do during the winter.

I'd hate summer football, it's a winter game, playing on rock hard summer pitches in your pre season friendlies was always crap. Half lit, january freezing wet Saturday's was when I loved playing, proper football.

It's different playing but we're talking about watching.

There's still enough rain in Scotland in summer not to make pitches rock hard - especially compared to winter pitches frozen solid and called off.

I agree though, it is a traditional winter sport (like rugby) but I think it's worth a go. There wasn't TV coverage back then either.

We'd watch English and European football over the winter in the warmth of our homes or pubs and go out in the summer sun/rain to see our own teams more often.

Genuine question. Are teams average attendances in Scotland far higher in August to October than they are in November to February?

For the argument of much higher attendances to hold water then you would see teams have far higher attendances in September than in January or February and I really don't think that's the case.

Edited by iainmac1

No.

Never in my puff have I decided not to go to a football match because it has been cold / windy / wet (any permutation from the three).

Some of my most enjoyable football experiences have involved attending matches when it has been freezing or blowing a gale.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Season should start in March and end at the festive period.

Correct. You do not have to be a marketing genius to work out that games in June & July will be better attended than ones in January & February. Especially in a country as North as Scotland, perhaps they have not noticed the weather. It is lunacy really and self harming, i.e. the SFA way. Never happen.

I'd chuck my season ticket if they moved to summer football.

"There was a full card last midweek but it did not appeal to thousands of fans at different clubs, who stayed away in their droves due to the freezing weather, dangerous travelling conditions and trying to recover financially after the festive season."

**** off, Sunday Post.

Edited by Charlie Endell

"There was a full card last midweek but it did not appeal to thousands of fans at different clubs, who stayed away in their droves due to the freezing weather, dangerous travelling conditions and trying to recover financially after the festive season."

**** off, Sunday Post.

Haha, how dare the Sunday post pose the question?!

One advantage of summer football is that it might fill a vacuum for football across the whole of the uk. They play football in summer here in oz and that's simply because it doesn't compete with rugby league, union and Aussie rules.

Season should start in March and end at the festive period.

Keeps all the well attended festive fixtures and the worst weather tends to be January/February.

This. Plus Standardised cheaper tickets; standing areas; alcohol; better facilities and entertainment. Scottish clubs and adminstrators still behave it's the 70s and they are not competing against any other sport, entertainment or pastime for people's money. Would be so easy to implement for one season as a pilot and note any difference in terms of attendances, standard of play and overall feedback......

I wasn't criticising the SP for posing the question, more the pish about freezing weather and folk recovering financially from Christmas. They should stick to the price of scones in Betty's Tea Room.

For any delicate petals there's always crochet classes or flower pressing when it's a bit chilly or breezy.

Edited by Charlie Endell

No.

Never in my puff have I decided not to go to a football match because it has been cold / windy / wet (any permutation from the three).

Some of my most enjoyable football experiences have involved attending matches when it has been freezing or blowing a gale.

Agree though would add in that sometimes I've decided not to go to an away game due to travelling conditions.

Games played in horrific conditions tend to stay in the memory.

I would agree with this.

Playing in July this season was just plain pish. I've much better things to be doing in summer.

Maybe start the season a few weeks earlier and have a January break so I can go skiing.

The no standing pish did not help. Huddling together like a mass of penguins in antarctica provided some respite but to have to sit isolated in a cheap plastic seat in january and february, i mean what utter phud thought that one up.

As for the weather masochists are you mad? Balmy summers day, few jars, saunter along to the football in a pair of shorts, beer gardens aplenty, sunglasses, possibly sunburn, real laughter not brought on a by a shivering attack... Or go in Feb, take your pick.

I've not gone to football loads of times because of the weather. Sitting, barely moving for 2 hours when it's freezing, raining and blowing a gale? Why would anyone want to do that?

Guest faircity

One advantage of summer football is that it might fill a vacuum for football across the whole of the uk. They play football in summer here in oz and that's simply because it doesn't compete with rugby league, union and Aussie rules.

Would probably a few bob onto any TV deal as, like you say, there is a huge void during the summer and I'd reckon the broadcasters would fight for the coverage rights.

A midsummer shutdown would to accommodate world cups and Euros, busiest holiday periods could be factored in too. It would certainly makes trips into the highlands a lot more appealing too.

I'd definitely back it.

I've never not gone due to weather.

Yourself and Charlie Endel will go regardless of the weather and regardless whether the football takes January and February off instead of June and July.

Change to "summer football" might encourage more folk to join you and become die hards like yourselves.