Euro 96 - Wembley - Where's Wally Game - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 96 - Wembley - Where's Wally Game

giblet

Finally scanned my Euro 96 picture of a section of our fans. Got this picture from the Daily Record as me and my mate were in it. You can see by the fashion it was flipping hot. also, notice this was pre Bertie era, so no Glengarrys. The fashion TA police would have a field day now with this. See if any of you old campaigners can find yourself.

(I'm in top left hand quarter with a baseball cap :blink: waving a flag)

280uv5t.jpg

Edited by giblet

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game just seemed to pass in flash, but what a day!

My dad had hunted for tickets from the minute the draw was made, and one day a guy in his golf club had got hold of a telephone number of a agent in London selling tickets (no questions asked about postal address.....) that he was suppose to keep quiet about.

Where we got tickets was by the segregation fence, so was as good in the scotland end.... But didn't click until 10 minutes into the game that half of West Kilbride was in this section as the telephone number that was suppose to be a secret had done the rounds lol

Honestly can not remember half time as the whole game just seemed to pass in a flash.

Looks near the front - we were up the back a bit to the right

Have never experienced such an all day high to an almighty crashing low when Gasgoigne scored

Walked out just after the ball hit the net and the concourse was almost empty apart from a few others who felt the same

Couple of big polis seen us and must have seen how we were and to be fair they showed a great deal of empathy as we passed them

Went down on Ian Sharps organised bus - it left Buchanan Street or maybe Anderston bus station at Friday midnight

The reason i think it was Anderston was because we were jarring in the Bon Accord but maybe we got a taxi back down

Massive hangover as we approached London but had got pally with 2 big Hibs boys on the bus - Raymond was one and his pal - and they had vodka in a big coke bottle

Got to Trafalgar square and carry oot ran out quite early - it was roasting and we all got burnt

Manage to find a wee off sales up Whitcomb Street just off the square that nobody else had noticed and stocked up - met Bob Mortimer as we were going up Whitcomb Street and he ran away from us when we noticed him on the other side lol

The Tube to Wembley was incredible but my mate who was standing at the carriage door got pulled off by the Police at Baker Street when it was jumping and took his drink off him - i had to get off as well

After a stop and search we got the next tube - which was full of England fans

We sobered up quite quick and after getting to Wembley station felt a bit more safe with more Scots around us again

I had to run for a pee and just as i got out the toilets about 200 England casuals arrived on another tube

Thought it was going to explode going up Wembley way but the Police quickly segregated everyone

Our bus was parked at Wembley so after the game it was right back on it and up the road with a wee stop off for a carry out

Looks near the front - we were up the back a bit to the right

Have never experienced such an all day high to an almighty crashing low when Gasgoigne scored

Walked out just after the ball hit the net and the concourse was almost empty apart from a few others who felt the same

Couple of big polis seen us and must have seen how we were and to be fair they showed a great deal of empathy as we passed them

Went down on Ian Sharps organised bus - it left Buchanan Street or maybe Anderston bus station at Friday midnight

The reason i think it was Anderston was because we were jarring in the Bon Accord but maybe we got a taxi back down

Massive hangover as we approached London but had got pally with 2 big Hibs boys on the bus - Raymond was one and his pal - and they had vodka in a big coke bottle

Got to Trafalgar square and carry oot ran out quite early - it was roasting and we all got burnt

Manage to find a wee off sales up Whitcomb Street just off the square that nobody else had noticed and stocked up - met Bob Mortimer as we were going up Whitcomb Street and he ran away from us when we noticed him on the other side lol

The Tube to Wembley was incredible but my mate who was standing at the carriage door got pulled off by the Police at Baker Street when it was jumping and took his drink off him - i had to get off as well

After a stop and search we got the next tube - which was full of England fans

We sobered up quite quick and after getting to Wembley station felt a bit more safe with more Scots around us again

I had to run for a pee and just as i got out the toilets about 200 England casuals arrived on another tube

Thought it was going to explode going up Wembley way but the Police quickly segregated everyone

Our bus was parked at Wembley so after the game it was right back on it and up the road with a wee stop off for a carry out

It was up the back, never felt so low after the 5 minutes when we missed the penalty and then Gascoigne scored. We had the better of the first half, England changed their style and came out fighting in the second half. At the time of the penalty we were definately on top. Seem to remember a shout for a penalty on McCoist during the second half as well.

It was up the back, never felt so low after the 5 minutes when we missed the penalty and then Gascoigne scored. We had the better of the first half, England changed their style and came out fighting in the second half. At the time of the penalty we were definately on top. Seem to remember a shout for a penalty on McCoist during the second half as well.

McCoist was still in his Roy of the Rovers era and it was all set for him coming on as sub and scoring the penalty

He wanted to take it, McAllister grabbed the ball off him and the rest is history

Was the segregation fence just to the right of that picture? Maybe about 5 or 10 seats?

Wish our away support was like that now.

Not a glengarry, pipers jacket or fecking feather to be seen.

It's a good point.

It's all got a bit ridiculous in recent years - it does look like a big fancy-dress party, with almost everyone having chosen the same outfit.

And the TA is getting older too, as well as more homogenous.

That picture from 1996 does hammer home how it's changed. Not for the better, to my taste.

Was a great half-time though. And the difference between 96 - needed a bit of attention but basically safe - and 99 - not safe at all - was enormous

It's a good point.

It's all got a bit ridiculous in recent years - it does look like a big fancy-dress party, with almost everyone having chosen the same outfit.

And the TA is getting older too, as well as more homogenous.

That picture from 1996 does hammer home how it's changed. Not for the better, to my taste.

Was a great half-time though. And the difference between 96 - needed a bit of attention but basically safe - and 99 - not safe at all - was enormous

Dressing up in fancy dress for football isn't my bag. It seems for many fans (especially those who are older than me ), dressing up, showing off badges etc and getting pished is more important than the football.

That night we ended up in a club just off Shaftesbury Avenue called "Borderline". Played Britpop classics all night. Following day, we were at the Aussie "The Church" at Kings Cross for 10am. That place was mental, great times.

think it was a wee bit more, can remember seeing the fence and the Scottish fans the other side, maybe about 20 seats away.

We were at fence to the left of the Scottish support, and though not many shirts or scarfs to give it away (I had my scarf and Scotland shirt on, but my dad made me zip it up and put my scarf in my pocket.... though after 10 minutes we stopped caring and were giving it full pelt) there was plenty of Scots in our section (as I said, most of them my Dads golfing buddies dotted 3 or 4 seats/rows away from us).

Remember on the way up to the game we met these two undercover policemen on the train, who had clearly had "enough" of working and told us to get off at the next stop (2 or 3 stops from Wembley) where they took us to this pub.....turned out there was a fair share of the undercover mob unhappy that they were missing out on this, so were taking turns at nipping to the pub for a couple of hours.

I was only 14 at the time (but was still over 6ft) and though my dad let me have a bottle of Bud at Trafalgar, that was suppose to be my only "treat" of the day..... next thing I know I am getting a double whisky put into my hand by this undercover Met copper :-))

Edited by wanderer

Dressing up in fancy dress for football isn't my bag. It seems for many fans (especially those who are older than me ), dressing up, showing off badges etc and getting pished is more important than the football.

Each to their own but I think the variety of hats and fancy dress make the whole atmosphere lighter. I think that this has been a big factor in giving the TA a better name over the years.

Yep the best half time ever. Incredible. I also think that was the day that the English looked at us and thought they would rather be like us and attempt to get rid of their unwanted everywhere tag. Since that game I feel they tried to address and eradicate their hooligan problem. Obviously it still exists but to a far far lesser extent. To me it also saw the demise of the English carrying union flags and start using their St. George flag. You will rarely see a union flag now compare to the 80s and 90s at England games.

Yep the best half time ever. Incredible. I also think that was the day that the English looked at us and thought they would rather be like us and attempt to get rid of their unwanted everywhere tag. Since that game I feel they tried to address and eradicate their hooligan problem. Obviously it still exists but to a far far lesser extent. To me it also saw the demise of the English carrying union flags and start using their St. George flag. You will rarely see a union flag now compare to the 80s and 90s at England games.

always thought it was strange how so many foreign hooligan groups would use the union jack on their flags and then at the same time be baying for blood when playing against English teams. also never really understood why England fans\hoolgans would use it rather than their own national flag.

Each to their own but I think the variety of hats and fancy dress make the whole atmosphere lighter. I think that this has been a big factor in giving the TA a better name over the years.

As I said, not my bag but I'd prefer it if folk put as much effort creating an atmosphere. Pubs usually bouncing before away games then half the away end too pished /sleeping to support the team

it's a big too much "Look at me I'm crazy".

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that.

always thought it was strange how so many foreign hooligan groups would use the union jack on their flags and then at the same time be baying for blood when playing against English teams. also never really understood why England fans\hoolgans would use it rather than their own national flag.

Union Flag was hijacked by BNP, National Front, Combat 18 etc. Hence why the right wing element of England's support had it as flag of choice. Rule Britannia and all that.