Series Worth Watching - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Series Worth Watching

3 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

:ok:

I enjoyed it.  Apparently been renewed for a second season too.

Watched first episode last night, couldnt believe how hard it was to understand the deep South accents.  Glad for the subtitles, saw enough to keep me interested.  

A comedy show to look out for which is based around an American College football team is Blue Mountain State.  Its very "porkys" like in its humour, found it very funny.  Whole series including a film that was crowd funded after the show was pulled is on Netflix.

Into quite a lot of foreign language stuff at the moment.

Finished

Dicte (journo/detective/crime - Nordic),

The Out-Laws (darkest of dark crime/comedy - Belgian Flemish/French).

River - UK - John River is a brilliant police inspector whose genius lies side-by-side with the fragility of his mind. He is a man haunted by the murder victims whose cases he must lay to rest.

Watching

Dag (Comedy/Off the wall/Nordic),

Angelby (Nordic Thriller),

The Lava Field (Icelandic Thriller).

Still to watch....

Van Veeteren - The Van Veeteren detective series is based on the best-selling crimes novels by one of Sweden’s most popular mystery writers, Håkan Nesser. Set in the fictitious city of Maardam, in a made-up country that could be anywhere in Northern Europe, the series follows the murder cases of retired chief inspector, Van Veeteren, and his two crime squad protégés, Münster and Moreno.

Beck - Commissioner Martin Beck and his eccentric partner Gunvald Larsson investigate murders in the flawed social structure of Stockholm, Sweden.

Blindspot - Jane Doe is found in Times Square with no memory and mysterious tattoos on her body. (US)

Braquo - watched some early episodes. Four police officers of the SDPJ Hauts-de-Seine, Eddie Caplan, Walter Morlighem, Theo Wachevski and Roxane Delgado have their lives turned upside down when their colleague, Max, committed suicide, following a case in which he is unfairly blamed. They then cross the "yellow line", not hesitating to circumvent the law to achieve their purposes in order to wash the honor of their friend Max.  If you liked The Shield, this is like that - but on speed.

Fargo - Some way through Season 1 (Hiya, Lamia). Various chronicles of deception, intrigue and murder in and around frozen Minnesota. Yet all of these tales mysteriously lead back one way or another to Fargo, North Dakota (US)

Gomorrah - Ciro disregards tradition in his attempt to become the next boss of his crime syndicate. The internal power struggle puts him and his entire family's life at risk. (Italy)

I, Claudius - (UK- 1976) The history of the Roman Empire as experienced by one of its rulers.

Mannaveidar (I Hunt Men) - Icelandic - Dawn breaks over the serene Icelandic countryside. An elderly hunter and his trusty dog ready themselves for the first morning flight of the geese. A bullet is fired but the shot that rings out does not come from his gun. The hunter has become the hunted.

Magnífica 70 (Brazilian) - A man bored with his reality, works in the São Paulo government censorship department, is married to Isabel, but falls in love with Dora Dumar, an actress of the films he has the obligation to censor.

Marseille - France - A tale of power, corruption and redemption set against the rich backdrop of the French port city of Marseille.

No Limit - France - A terminally ill French secret service agent is hired by Hydra, a mysterious black ops organization set up by the government, to fight crime by any means necessary and receive experimental treatment in return. Also, his daughter hates him.

Hatufim (Prisoners of War) - Israel - After 17 years in captivity, Israeli soldiers Nimrode Klein, Uri Zach, and Amiel Ben Horin return home to the country that made them national icons. They work to overcome the trauma of torture and captivity while settling back into their interrupted family lives. Meanwhile, the military psychiatrist assigned to them finds discrepancies in the soldiers' testimonies, and launches an investigation to discover what they are hiding.

Romanzo Criminale - Italy - A criminal known as Lebanese has a dream: to conquer the underworld of Rome. To carry out this feat without precedent he puts together a ruthless and highly organized gang. Their progress and changes in leadership (Lebanese is followed by his cohorts Freddo and Dandi) take place over twenty-five years, from the 1970's into the '90's, and are inseparably intertwined with the dark history of modern Italy: terrorism, kidnappings and corruption at the highest levels of government. Throughout these years Police Lieutenant Scialoia sticks to the gang's trail, trying both to bring them to justice and to win the heart of Dandi's girlfriend Patrizia.

Thirteen - UK - 26-year-old Ivy Moxam steps out of an ordinary house, on an ordinary street, on an ordinary day. Ivy hasn't been seen for thirteen years, she was kidnapped in 2003 at the age of thirteen.

Tony's Revenge - France - Compelling yet humorous gangster story providing a rich, sweeping portrait of the evolution of organised crime in France from the 1950s to the present day, told through a series of flashbacks

Thank goodness I've retired and the long nights are coming in.

Edited by Flure

• 1 month later...

I started watching Designated Survivor on Netflix last night.

Kiefer Sutherland is a lowly government secretary who becomes the sole surviving member of the government after a bombing.

It gets decent ratings on IMDb, its like a weird Homeland meets house of cards combo.

Only 4 episodes in but has some promise so far.

On 10/23/2016 at 0:26 PM, Baz said:

I started watching Designated Survivor on Netflix last night.

Kiefer Sutherland is a lowly government secretary who becomes the sole surviving member of the government after a bombing.

It gets decent ratings on IMDb, its like a weird Homeland meets house of cards combo.

Only 4 episodes in but has some promise so far.

Binged watch the first four episodes last night and thought it was pretty poor.  Good idea, looks like one of these shite made for tv films that stations use to fill up the time slots late at night.  Bit schmaltzy, not a fan.

• 1 year later...

So, I mentioned on here to Ally yesterday that I have been watching the Band Of Brothers series. Finally finish watching it(outstanding tv) and as usual with true stories I go into geek mode researching on the net once they are over. Anyway, remember the wee Italian/American guy Frank Perconte who was in every episode? Died in 2013 aged 96. Turns out he is buried only two streets behind me a 2 minute stroll from my house here in my town Romeoville. 

Mental! 

27 minutes ago, giblet said:

Still to watch :  Power, Suits.

Power - semi watchable cliched nonsense with some awful acting. Leading lady not shy in getting the goods out.

Suits - gave up after 1 series. Hammy and Shmaltzy. For an American legal drama give Damages a go. Pretty good, much more grit. 

12 hours ago, Ormond said:

So, I mentioned on here to Ally yesterday that I have been watching the Band Of Brothers series. Finally finish watching it(outstanding tv) and as usual with true stories I go into geek mode researching on the net once they are over. Anyway, remember the wee Italian/American guy Frank Perconte who was in every episode? Died in 2013 aged 96. Turns out he is buried only two streets behind me a 2 minute stroll from my house here in my town Romeoville. 

Mental! 

After we played got humped in Jacksonville, I had a hire car and stayed on for a week and had a road trip to North Carolina.   I took a wee detour to go to Toccoa in Georgia which is where the training camp was.  Nothing much to write home about but there is a really good military museum which unsurprisingly features the "Band of Brothers" pretty heavily.  Maddest thing is that they have an entire stable where men were billeted prior to D-Day that they shipped over intact from England - a nice wee video about how they did it as well.

http://www.toccoahistory.com/

Gomorrah series 3 starting on Sky at the end of the month. I think the first two series are on Sky Go and available from the usual outlets and I don't think it's an over exaggeration to say it's one of the best TV shows to come out in the last decade.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

After we played got humped in Jacksonville, I had a hire car and stayed on for a week and had a road trip to North Carolina.   I took a wee detour to go to Toccoa in Georgia which is where the training camp was.  Nothing much to write home about but there is a really good military museum which unsurprisingly features the "Band of Brothers" pretty heavily.  Maddest thing is that they have an entire stable where men were billeted prior to D-Day that they shipped over intact from England - a nice wee video about how they did it as well.

http://www.toccoahistory.com/

That would’ve been pretty interesting. I enjoy visiting World War sites. I visited the Ponary massacre site near Vilnius just recently when I was over for the fitba’. Easily the most harrowing place I’ve been. Stuck in the middle of a huge forest in the middle of nowhere. It was an absolute bastard to find and as such I was the sole person in the whole site. Staring down into the extermination pits with not a peep around, imagining the deaths of 100,000 was chilling.

55 minutes ago, Mox said:

Gomorrah series 3 starting on Sky at the end of the month. I think the first two series are on Sky Go and available from the usual outlets and I don't think it's an over exaggeration to say it's one of the best TV shows to come out in the last decade.

Gomorrah is superb. On a very similar theme,  Suburra on Netlflix is also well worth watching

2 minutes ago, Newryrep said:

Latest Spiral ( French cop drama) started a couple of week ago on BBC 4  - will still be on iplayer for a while

Audrey Fleurot is easily the most rideable ginger of all time. If you liked spiral you should try Braquo and Witnesses both French and the later stars Ms Fleurot in the 2nd season

Just now, dan cake said:

Audrey Fleurot is easily the most rideable ginger of all time. If you liked spiral you should try Braquo and Witnesses both French and the later stars Ms Fleurot in the 2nd season

Must check it out  - yes she has a seriously naughty look about her