Droid Box - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Following the chat about sky and the ever increasing cost thoughts went into looking at one of these bad boys.

Anyone got one that could discuss their experience? And practical examples on how it works on their broadband?? Also is it legal in UK? I know streaming is so I assume it is!

Edited by flynnyboy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/221685425762?nav=SEARCH

Guys at work swear by it.You hard wire it from your router/hub/whatever they call them to your tele.

Thanks mate. From speaking to a few folk apparently you can link it from an excising sky dish which improves the quality immensely, apparently, but Im no exactly a technology expert so I'm kinda still in the dark.

Although I didn't realise it, I've got the equivalent of a Droid Box downloaded on my Macbook (which I've only realised from that Youtube vid above). I've been using it for movies and TV shows , which it's excellent for by the way, but didn't realise I could get live sports. Must have a look and see how it's done.

flynnyboy, you might be confusing Dreambox with Droidbox. Two different things.

The dreambox hooks into your satellite dish and with a cardsharing subscription (can be found for free), you get the full shebang of what the satellite can pick up. Sky have recently made moves to block the HD channels so you'll not get them any more (until the encryption is cracked).

The Droidbox is a bit of a con. Kodi, previously Xbox Media Center, is just software you install on an Android system which has a wealth of plug-ins for live sport, movies and all sorts of other video and music.

A semi-recent Android dongle can do the same for a quarter of the price :ok:

flynnyboy, you might be confusing Dreambox with Droidbox. Two different things.

The dreambox hooks into your satellite dish and with a cardsharing subscription (can be found for free), you get the full shebang of what the satellite can pick up. Sky have recently made moves to block the HD channels so you'll not get them any more (until the encryption is cracked).

The Droidbox is a bit of a con. Kodi, previously Xbox Media Center, is just software you install on an Android system which has a wealth of plug-ins for live sport, movies and all sorts of other video and music.

A semi-recent Android dongle can do the same for a quarter of the price :ok:

Aye it's Kodi I've got, it's magic.

I downloaded some XMBC software for my laptop, but found the quality of sports streams terrible, so I stopped using it. I have a Roku, but that seems locked down to be able to do anything dodgy with.

If there is a unit I could use (such as droidbox), that plugged straight into the TV with some recommended apps for decent streams/movies, then I may revisit it.

I hate doing this, because it is so feckin lazy, and I could probably find out myself, but....

....can somebody just tell me what I should go buy and what apps to download. £50 max.

Sorry....cheers!

That's the same as XBMC, aye?

I find it horrendous to use - cannae navigate my way around it.

I've got NAVI operating within it, but I can't get no satisfaction.

It is aye. Don't get me wrong it's not as user friendly as say Sky or Virgin but if you know what you're looking for then so far I've found it really good. I've only had it for a couple of weeks mind you and have watched a couple of movies and TV shows. From what I've seen I'd use it more to supplement Sky/Virgin (especially on demand movies) rather than replace it.

I have had a couple of the XBMC boxes (an Ouya console and another one, name escapes me) but have never found them really worthwhile sacking off Sky for.

Most of the movies and TV shows are off good quality - if you can find good sources. All they do is stream movies and shows uploaded to a variety of file sharing sites. I was getting pee'd off taking 10 goes to find one site that actually had the files accessible however.

Sports, or football, was a complete waste of time for me. They are again just versions of the various internet streams that many people watch. They suffer against the quality of movies/tv because movies/tv can be uploaded and then watched at your convenience. The sports are happening in real time so something somewhere has to get a feed in the first place, and then keep it online, and then stream it out and you then have to hook into that stream. On the handful of occasions I watched, usually for no more than 10 mins, the feeds could be patchy and the actual quality was v poor. I am sure they would be fine watched in a wee screen on your laptop or desktop monitor but taking that same "quality" and then sticking it on any TV that is 40" and up, well its like watching games underwater.

End of the day I just went back to newsgroups for TV and movies, a NAS drive, Sickbeard and SAB and leave my PC on at night and all my TV is there waiting for me in the morning.

Did Virgin not effectively put an end to these a few years when they upgraded their security?

Just had a look at this; Apparently not. But it doesn't seem very stable. Often going down for up to weeks at a time.

Parklife if someone is offering to get it set up for you you should take the offer. I did mine myself so only have the basics I could be bothered putting on from watching YouTube video etc. Its a pain in the ass but once its working it is good. Sports can be hit or miss especially football but it's great for movies and TV shows. I'm going to look into getting mine set up by someone that knows their shit when I get a chance.