Droid Box - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, the only thing I'd use it for is sports. If it's shite for that, then there's not much point for me.

As I said I set it up myself so there may be better ways of getting sports on it. I've basocally just got the sports thing I found online for it. If someone knew what they were doing there may be better options.

• 1 year later...

1 of my friends has a ROKU box and he has access to Skysports etc and live UK channels - feeding off some subscription in carribbean - say GBP25  a month

Think i will get ROKU 3, dont see ROKU 4 being worth the extra money

I have a wee box that plugs in the side of the tv.

Its home screen is a bit like a tablet and you can download aps.  

There is one called showbox that until a month or so ago had the latest films and pretty good quality.  It seems to be not working the now, so I have added kodi.  This has things called add ons that act like aps.  there is one called ccloud that lets you watch tv channels all over the world allegedly.  Phoenix as well has tv and films.

These havent been as good as showbox was, they seem to have too busy streams and the sport channels rarely work when there is something worth watching.  I hope to get setanta working for the match but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm watching it on my Android box, Premier Sports through the Cosmix app and its working fine.  Pity it canna make us play any better :huh:

2 hours ago, wheres the pies said:

was actually thinking about getting one of them boxes what's the best ones to get ? 

another thread to read 

I'm going for ROKU cos thats what my mate has borrowed me and is working fine for the weekend although i will go for upgraded version 

16 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

I'll try that next time cheers

Download zemtv. You'll get any sports event you want in there 

17 hours ago, thistle do nicely said:

Saw Fletcher being interviewed on Maltese TV and that's as far as I got.  

Android boxes are piss poor for sport.

I used Wookie on my android box and it downloaded a whole range of add ons that are great for sport.

As Parklife said, zemtv is good as is Halow and NJM Soccer. Between them I never struggle to see a game and the quality of the streams are usually very good.

Phoenix sometimes have decent streams but I found their Premier League Pass streams to pixelate too often when watching them.

It can be quite daunting at first, but once you work out which addons are good for certain things it won't take you long to find what you're looking for.

21 hours ago, Lion Rampant said:

I used Wookie on my android box and it downloaded a whole range of add ons that are great for sport.

As Parklife said, zemtv is good as is Halow and NJM Soccer. Between them I never struggle to see a game and the quality of the streams are usually very good.

Phoenix sometimes have decent streams but I found their Premier League Pass streams to pixelate too often when watching them.

It can be quite daunting at first, but once you work out which addons are good for certain things it won't take you long to find what you're looking for.

Cheers, hopefully I can watch the France match.  Most of the alleged sports streams only showed sky sports 3 and the rest didn't work.  I've loaded the above ones and I'll add these two as well, thanks!

20 minutes ago, thistle do nicely said:

Cheers, hopefully I can watch the France match.  Most of the alleged sports streams only showed sky sports 3 and the rest didn't work.  I've loaded the above ones and I'll add these two as well, thanks!

I got the Scotland v Italy game on the Halow add on if I remember correctly.

The quality was ok, not in full HD but watchable and it didn't buffer at all during the game.

You can buy a great IPTV package from Alex press for just under €50 which gives all Sky UK, Germany, Italy and all sorts of other channels that works brilliantly. 

That's for the year. You can trial it for free for 48 hope or buy an individual month for around 6 euro.

Well worth it. Is that good I've got rid of my dreambox. 

34 minutes ago, hairy de janairy said:

I am interested in this but the recomended internet speed is 10 mps or better, i dont get that unfortunately.

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/shop/ebox-t8-aml-v3s-latest-tv-box-fastest-tv-box-16gb-s812/

I have a T8 version 2, it's teckle. I'd highly recommend the T8. Even after a year of almost daily use, mines is still going strong. :ok: 

Anyone who is more technical know if you can buy the "Now TV" box and just use as a regular Roku box ?

I think its just a Roku box but wonder if its banded like they do to phones

Notice Asda has them for GBP 15 while ROKU box is GBP 65 (and not delivered after 1 week ) 

On 02/06/2016 at 3:55 PM, hairy de janairy said:

I am interested in this but the recomended internet speed is 10 mps or better, i dont get that unfortunately.

https://www.entertainmentbox.com/shop/ebox-t8-aml-v3s-latest-tv-box-fastest-tv-box-16gb-s812/

10Mbps would be for 4k streaming... and there's not many 4k streams at the moment.

You can stream IPTV pretty comfortably with 2Mbps.   Although streaming full hd with multi sound tracks will require a lot more. 

The Nvidia Shield TV will take some beating for being the fastest box on the market.   Amlogic processors, like what's in that box linked, are nothing compared to the Tegra

13 hours ago, euan2020 said:

Anyone who is more technical know if you can buy the "Now TV" box and just use as a regular Roku box ?

I think its just a Roku box but wonder if its banded like they do to phones

Notice Asda has them for GBP 15 while ROKU box is GBP 65 (and not delivered after 1 week )   

The Now TV boxes are normally locked down.   I used the original version for a while and liked it a lot.  You can sideload one application (Plex, normally).    It's good for catch up telly.    

The newer version is slightly faster and offers full HD streaming... although I don't think Sky actually stream HD. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2016 at 0:54 PM, OLAS said:

10Mbps would be for 4k streaming... and there's not many 4k streams at the moment.

You can stream IPTV pretty comfortably with 2Mbps.   Although streaming full hd with multi sound tracks will require a lot more. 

The Nvidia Shield TV will take some beating for being the fastest box on the market.   Amlogic processors, like what's in that box linked, are nothing compared to the Tegra

The Now TV boxes are normally locked down.   I used the original version for a while and liked it a lot.  You can sideload one application (Plex, normally).    It's good for catch up telly.    

The newer version is slightly faster and offers full HD streaming... although I don't think Sky actually stream HD. 

what can you do with PLex

My IT friend was saying something abotu hacking a NOW box, and he has added Plex, and some story about using a home server

7 hours ago, euan2020 said:

what can you do with PLex

My IT friend was saying something abotu hacking a NOW box, and he has added Plex, and some story about using a home server

Aye, you can do that, but a home server will cost you if you want to use Plex's full capabilities such as streaming to different computers or phones on your network or remotely.    I have a low-powered NAS (an old 2tb WD MyCloud & around £150ish) that I hacked Debian on to and ran a Plex server.  It wasn't a nice experience so moved to Kodi.  

Plex server (and client, of course) is now going to be built into the Nvidia Shield TV.   The latest software is apparently going to be released tomorrow.  May make the change back if it works as I hope it does. 

Best purchase I've made for IPTV, movies and TV shows.  £150 from Amazon.   Nvidia claim it's also a first-class console as it streams PC games from their servers.   It plays pretty good but I'm not into games much since Sensible Soccer :P 

• 3 months later...