Your Clubs Best Signing? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Clubs Best Signing?

This should generate a few different names depending on your age...

In the time that you have followed your club, which player has been the best signing in your view? Doesn't have to be for a fee or a big name, just the one that has given best value.

For me it would have to be big Billy Urquhart in his 2nd stint following his move to Rangers and then Wigan.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really difficult for me:

Steve Archibald for £20k from Clyde then sold for £800k would be a possibility

Gordon Strachan and Peter Weir were outstanding signings

Loved Stuart Kennedy at right back bought from Falkirk

Jim Bett was pure class

Theo Snelders made us forget about Jim Leighton

Hans Gillhaus came to us from the European Champions and went on to play in the World Cup finals as an Aberdeen player

Charlie Nicholas was headline grabbing one

But I'll plump for my avatar - King Joey Harper - x 2 given he came back after going to Everton then on to Hibs.

I would say Billy Dodds as I absolutely loved him at Dens, however he ruined my childhood memories by turning out to be a jug eared fud.

So its between Nemsadze and Canniggia, CC was a bewildering signing for Dundee, his turn of pace and eye for a pass was amazing, he was one of those players that you couldnt believe were playing for your team. But my favourite has to be Nemsadze, what a player he was, could turn on a sixpence, his dribbling and passing were sublime.

Those years nearly killed my club, in all honesty, was it worth it, Yes, it really was. What a couple of seasons.

Very very difficult as I grew up during the NIAR & Advocaat eras. Laudrup, Gazza, De Boer, Van Bronckhorst, Numan, Mols... All fantastic. But the Great Dane stands out for me, so I'd go with Laudrup.

For Cheltenham, since I started following them, despite having seen players like Jack Butland, Luke Garbutt and Marlon Pack; I've got to go with big Stevie Elliott. Uncompromising, no-nonsense defender who'd run through brick walls for the club. Great to have him as assistant manager now - hopefully he'll help keep us up.

So its between Nemsadze and Canniggia, CC was a bewildering signing for Dundee, his turn of pace and eye for a pass was amazing, he was one of those players that you couldnt believe were playing for your team. But my favourite has to be Nemsadze, what a player he was, could turn on a sixpence, his dribbling and passing were sublime.

Those years nearly killed my club, in all honesty, was it worth it, Yes, it really was. What a couple of seasons.

It says a lot about those crazy days at Dundee that Ravanelli doesn't even get a mention.

:lol:

Canniggia and Ravanelli playing for Dundee, even now that doesn't sound real! 2 of the most iconic players in the world at one time.

Really difficult for me:

Steve Archibald for £20k from Clyde then sold for £800k would be a possibility

Gordon Strachan and Peter Weir were outstanding signings

Loved Stuart Kennedy at right back bought from Falkirk

Jim Bett was pure class

Theo Snelders made us forget about Jim Leighton

Hans Gillhaus came to us from the European Champions and went on to play in the World Cup finals as an Aberdeen player

Charlie Nicholas was headline grabbing one

But I'll plump for my avatar - King Joey Harper - x 2 given he came back after going to Everton then on to Hibs.

McGhee would make that shortlist ?

Re contributions during the golden years

And a certain cross from the wing....