Your Clubs Best Signing? - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Clubs Best Signing?

Very very difficult as I grew up during the NIAR & Advocaat eras. Laudrup, Gazza, De Boer, Van Bronckhorst, Numan, Mols... All fantastic. But the Great Dane stands out for me, so I'd go with Laudrup.

For Cheltenham, since I started following them, despite having seen players like Jack Butland, Luke Garbutt and Marlon Pack; I've got to go with big Stevie Elliott. Uncompromising, no-nonsense defender who'd run through brick walls for the club. Great to have him as assistant manager now - hopefully he'll help keep us up.

Hijacking the thread....do you go to Cheltenham games? Keep an eye on Denny Johnstone...had his

Gh hopes for him at Celtic but he turned down a new deal in the hope of getting first team football at Birmingham...just been shipped out on loan to Cheltenham ..big laddie with a lot of skill.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rajamaki was something else too or at least he was against Berwick!! You had a really good team of footballers then. Cut above.

Just googled him to see they made their debuts and we beat you at our place 22 October 94. :!: Time flies.

Rajamaki probably stood out more as he was a winger and had long hair ha ha but what a team we had McInnes and Mahood with Lindberg in midfield

Jesus was that really 1994 !!!! Time flies right enough :yikes3:

Best youth: Shaun Maloney

Best Scottish signing: Paul Lambert

Best non-Scottish signing: Henrik Larsson

Biggest let-down: Rafael Scheidt. £5m for a Brazilian 'international' that played 3 matches.

Interesting format:-

Best youth: Steven Naismith

Best Scottish signing: Tommy Burns

Best non-Scottish signing: Drago Lekovic

Biggest let-down: Hate to say it Christophe Cocard. Was a great coup to pull off and there were some moments of brilliance, but in the cold light of day he cost the club 15 grand a game...

Brian Martin, "bIg Buff" for motherwell. A £350,000 signing from St Mirren. Alot of money back in the day but worth every penny. :ok:

Biggest let down, Shaun McSkimming from Kilmarnock. Alex McLiesh paid roughly the same money as Big Buff and he couldn't hit a cows arse with a baseball bat.

Biggest let down for me was an Irish striker named Vinny Arkins in the early 90s who funnily enough had started out at United before going back to Shamrock Rovers. He was on the verge of signing for Celtic but ended up signing for us. I couldn't believe at the time that we managed to get a guy that was being courted by Celtic. Expected big things but he turned out to be horse dung.

Edited by Ormond

Biggest let down, Shaun McSkimming from Kilmarnock. Alex McLiesh paid roughly the same money as Big Buff and he couldn't hit a cows arse with a baseball bat.

Eddie may would have to get an (dis)honourable mention too in that case!

£200k + kirk and Mcgrillen IIRC.

Mcleish should've never been given a chequebook!

:lol:

Shaun singed for youse right after we'd played at Fir Park. I mind reading the Well programme, the pen pictures of the visiting squad were all one word descriptions like "pacy" or "solid", then it got to McSkimming's which was like "Shaun is without a doubt Kilmarnock's best player, equally effective in defence and attack...blah blah blah" for about half a page. Utterly bizarre! In conclusion:-

Either 1) The programme editor was related to McSkimming.

or 2) The programme editor had a direct influence on signing policy.

or 3) The deal was already done and McLeish wanted to butter up the Well fans....

Owney Coyle for the Diamonds. The latter 2 times (3 if you include his loan) - as I was just a bambino first time around :shocked:

Owen Coyle only played for Airdrieonians twice. He played for Clydebank twice too. :wink2: We signed him as player coach after that.

Best opposition players for me...

Dons - Eoin Jess

Celtic - Larsson/Lubo

Dundee Utd - Kjell Olofsson

Kilmarnock - Cocard

Hearts - Mirsad Beslija

Dundee - Speroni

Hibs - Ulises De La Cruz/Sauzee

Livingston - Goran Stanic

Gretna - Fabian Yantorno

Caley - Marius Niculae

Let downs at Rangers? I don't think I've got enough time to type them all out. Guivarch, Salenko, Van Vossen, Boli, Ferguson (Dunc), Snelders, Rozental, Prodan, Thern, Bjorklund, Hendry, Ritchie, Capucho, Emerson etc etc etc!

Hard to disagree with any of that although I do think you are being a bit harsh on Hendry. Advocaat didn't like him as a player for whatever reason. I personally didn't think he did much wrong.

Hard to disagree with any of that although I do think you are being a bit harsh on Hendry. Advocaat didn't like him as a player for whatever reason. I personally didn't think he did much wrong.

He was my favourite Scotland player at the time and I'd wanted us to sign him for years. I thought he'd be the new Richard Gough for us but for the year and a bit he was with us he was just a bit "meh" and didn't seem the same dominant, aggressive centre half I'd watch play for Scotland.

Interesting format:-

Best youth: Steven Naismith

Best Scottish signing: Tommy Burns

Best non-Scottish signing: Drago Lekovic

Biggest let-down: Hate to say it Christophe Cocard. Was a great coup to pull off and there were some moments of brilliance, but in the cold light of day he cost the club 15 grand a game...

Big drago was a legend only bad memory of him was when he got sent off against Raith? For handling outside the box. His face was a picture when he realised what he had done Edited by hunchy

It's great to see a a lot of Killie fans say that Tommy Burns was a top singing for them, expected to see more mentions of McCoist, Durrant and Cocard. Was too young to have seen Burns' play for Killie but I knew he always spoke very fondly of his time at Rugby Park and the fans in particular.

It's great to see a a lot of Killie fans say that Tommy Burns was a top singing for them, expected to see more mentions of McCoist, Durrant and Cocard. Was too young to have seen Burns' play for Killie but I knew he always spoke very fondly of his time at Rugby Park and the fans in particular.

I was also too young to see him at his best. My old man rates him as one of his most feared opponents though, along with McGrain. That means they were both cracking as he is a grumpy auld shite :-))