Linksfield Stadium Aberdeen - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Linksfield Stadium Aberdeen

Was trying to find old data for capacity on Linksfield ; but not much on Internet

Was used for rugby ; North midlands v Wallabies 1947 then v all blacks in 1978

I do recall a low terracing running all the way round and the main stand ( watched stock car racing as a kid)

I had it pegged as 10,000 plus but likely never saw these numbers

Don't think was used for any big football games aside from juniors

Edited by Auchinyell Sox Change

Was trying to find old data for capacity on Linksfield ; but not much on Internet

I do recall a low terracing running all the way round and the main stand ( watched stock car racing as a kid)

I played there quite a few times against Lewis Utd who used it as their home ground in the Junior league. Can't imagine that latterly it was anything near 10k capacity. I don't think the main stand ran the length of the pitch and don't recall any low terracing (although you got me thinking). There was a running track so maybe this replaced it? Edited by SMcoolJ

scotland played Argentina there aroundabout 73/74/75 my first rugger game, schoolboys got in free and got the afternoon off school,hence my first rugger game....cheers Mr Williamson.....

I played there quite a few times against Lewis Utd who used it as their home ground in the Junior league. Can't imagine that latterly it was anything near 10k capacity. I don't think the main stand ran the length of the pitch and don't recall any low terracing (although you got me thinking). There was a running track so maybe this replaced it?

Last time I was there mid 80s there was a cinder track in front of the terracing

Judging by photos this indeed was blitzed to make way for a proper athletics track

The old stand was pretty sizeable

I found some photos on EE website

One shows cyclists with terrace behind

Mr Williamson - was that the tall, thin PE teacher at Harlaw with fair/greying hair and a moustache? If it's the one I'm thinking of he took us for rugby when we were in 2nd year and was convinced that it was still 3 points for a try...

I played there quite a few times against Lewis Utd who used it as their home ground in the Junior league. Can't imagine that latterly it was anything near 10k capacity. I don't think the main stand ran the length of the pitch and don't recall any low terracing (although you got me thinking). There was a running track so maybe this replaced it?

I played there for Lewis Utd (after they left New Advocates park) and Mugiemoss Juniors. Rosemount and Parkvale played there IIRC.

The main stand did not run the full length of the pitch but there was basic standing terracing from behind one goal round to behind the other goal. I would not imagine it was 10k capacity though.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/local/gallery-sporting-chance-for-all-at-aberdeen-s-famous-linksfield-stadium-1.361118

check out photos on this link

theres one with police on the pitch - have no idea what this is about

does look like a sizeable stand though - and you get an idea of terracing from other photo

classic with david wilkie too in the pool