Sunderland Fans Supporting Adam Johnston - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sunderland Fans Supporting Adam Johnston

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

So because it's not illegal elsewhere you think its not really that bad?

What moronic logic is that?

Logic that you seem to be unable to comprehend. Something is awry if an action is considered so heinous that it merits 6 years imprisonment in the UK but yet most of our partner nations in the EU don't even consider it to be a crime. I'm not saying that laws shouldn't differ but the punishment seems excessive in that light.

5 minutes ago, joe545 said:

Logic that you seem to be unable to comprehend. Something is awry if an action is considered so heinous that it merits 6 years imprisonment in the UK but yet most of our partner nations in the EU don't even consider it to be a crime. I'm not saying that laws shouldn't differ but the punishment seems excessive in that light.

I'd think what he did would still be morally wrong in these other countries.

He also knew it was wrong and still did it.

5 minutes ago, joe545 said:

So we should just copy our penalties from other countries? 

We don't need to have our own opinions? 

Different states in the US have capital punishment whilst others don't. I'm assuming you think that's wrong too?

As a sovereign nation we are entitled to set our own laws and appropriate punishments. If don't like it why not move to where the law suits your tastes.

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And you know that for a fact?

No, you're just talking shite and you are defending his actions with your baseless excuses.

Do any of us know, for certain, what the police found on his phone or computer? 

I'll trust the judge over you, if you don't mind. 

At the risk of being called a paedo sympathiser, it sounds as though you are not completely comfortable with a six year sentence and are looking for other aggravating factors.  

He's a bad man, and obviously used his status to take advantage of a vulnerable person, but it's not equivalent to stranger rape at knifepoint, which is what the sentencing suggests. 

Edited by adamntg

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I'd think what he did would still be morally wrong in these other countries.

He also knew it was wrong and still did it.

I haven't heard a single voice on here say it was morally ok. He was 28 and she was 15 FFS. Who is going to defend that?

But, if they sentenced him to death I'd say that was too much. If they'd sentenced him to thirty years hard labour - that's too much.  Ten years - IMO, too much. Six years?  

Where is the line between appropriate and excessive?  I don't know, but, to me, six years is beyond it. 

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Different states in the US have capital punishment whilst others don't. I'm assuming you think that's wrong too?

As a sovereign nation we are entitled to set our own laws and appropriate punishments. If don't like it why not move to where the law suits your tastes.

Yes Joe - go back to where you came from. 

21 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Where did i say we should copy it? Your inability to understand a simple argument is astounding. 

If one state had the death penalty and another had a light or no punishment for the same offence, then I'd say that is wrong too.

The fact that the difference in punishment is so large between 6 years vs none at all, says to me that 6 years is excessive.

On 25/03/2016 at 11:46 PM, adamntg said:

At the risk of being called a paedo sympathiser, it sounds as though you are not completely comfortable with a six year sentence and are looking for other aggravating factors.  

He's a bad man, and obviously used his status to take advantage of a vulnerable person, but it's not equivalent to stranger rape at knifepoint, which is what the sentencing suggests. 

I'd be happy for him to be given 10 years. Maybe your hearing needs fixing. 

Rapists deserve life in my opinion and not the pretend life the courts currently dish out either but I'm a bit old testament in that respect. 

4 hours ago, joe545 said:

Where did i say we should copy it? Your inability to understand a simple argument is astounding. 

If one state had the death penalty and another had a light or no punishment for the same offence, then I'd say that is wrong too.

The fact that the difference in punishment is so large between 6 years vs none at all, says to me that 6 years is excessive.

Or maybe you should try seeing the whole picture. Maybe the lack of punishment is ridiculously light?

Personally I'd happily stick the filthy beast away for twice as long but our pathetic justice system will have him free inside 3 years.

6 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'd be happy for him to be given 10 years. Maybe your hearing needs fixing. 

Rapists deserve life in my opinion and not the pretend life the courts currently dish out either but I'm a bit old testament in that respect. 

I am a bit corned beef in my left lug to be honest, too many years of playing the drums.