What's Your Squad For Gibraltar And N.ireland? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What's Your Squad For Gibraltar And N.ireland?

TartanDave

Because he has the potential to be better than any other forward we have. These two games an an ideal time to get someone like Watt in to see how he gets on. If we were playing Germany and Poland, folk would probably prefer more experienced players.

Remember, Watt has a good u21 record, and experience in the Champions League and Europa League. Not many of his rivals have that experience.

Also, international football is about picking the best inform players you can. I honestly can't see why anyone would be against Watt being called up.

Agreed.

I dont think Watt will be anywhere near the squad.

Did he not have a bit of a bust up with the SFA? He got left out of U21 sqauds and had a few strong words to say on Twitter about Mark Wotte.

He has only scored 4 goals for Charlton and 3 for Standard Liège this season.

Jordan Rhodes back in the squad and start against Northern Ireland surely. He's on fire in the championship just now.

Fletcher to start against Gib for me. Not an outstanding goal scoring record but I think he gives alot to the team attack wise with his hold up play and bringing others into the game. This could be the game where he hopefully nets a couple

Tony Watt offers something different, hes direct, fast and is on fire. I know that he has scored 4 goals for charlton but he has 4 assists and 3 mom performances under his belt, not saying he should start but he should def be considered.

But I dont really get the hype with S Fletcher starting, too slow, low on confidence and made of glass

Gordon

Marshall

McGregor

Hutton

Bardsley

Berra

Hanley

Wilson

Martin

Robertson

Whittaker

Brown

Fletcher

McArthur

Phillips

Naismith

Morrison

Anya

Bannan

GMS

Fletcher

Griffiths

Watt

Russell

Would be pretty happy with that squad - if possible would like to see Stuart Armstrong, Jordan Rhodes and Ryan Jack in it though, maybe in place of a couple of the regulars

Worth noting that (I think) Hanley and Morrison are a booking against Gibraltar away from being suspended. It might be worth leaving them out for that reason alone.

I didn't know that, I'd definitely hold them back then.

GK - McGregor, Marshall, Gordon

They pick themselves at this point. As long as these three are fit, they seem head and shoulders above anything else we have.

Def - Hutton, Bardsley, Martin, Hanley, Berra, Robertson, Forsyth +Liam Cooper

Pretty much picks itself. I could maybe see Strachan leaving out Bardsley and Forsyth and just taking Whittaker, following the 'smaller squads' statement a while back. I'd leave out Greer this time and take Liam Cooper instead. We don't have many young players at centerback and Cooper is Captain for Leeds in the Championship. Seems to be well thought of there and so these seem like good games to get him involved and see if he can adapt.

Mid - Brown, DFletcher, Morrison, Gauld, Armstrong, Anya, GMS, Russell

A little light on defensive mids as we're not going to need 2 against Gib. Gauld's progress at Sporting puts him well placed to start imo, Russell and Anya likely on the flanks. No Maloney, I don't think we'll need him for this one and the season's literally just kicked off in the US, so it'd probably be good to him to let him play as many games as he can there. Will be back in come June.

Fwd - Naismith, SFletcher, Rhodes, McCormack

No reason not to take Rhodes to this one imo. We should be playing 2 up against Gib, otherwise we really do risk having an isolated man crowded out by them just filling the box with bodies. Rhodes finds spaces and gets on lose balls.

Almost identical to last few squads with only a few changes. I'd be raging if I was normally in squad but got dropped just to let some younger boys get experience..

not if you are the likes of dorrans and burke who are always just there to make up the numbers

Struggling to guess as there will no doubt be a few players in decent form missing out.

This is what I expect -

Marshall, McGregor, Gordon

Hutton, Whittaker, Martin, Hanley, Berra, Greer, Robertson, Forsyth.

Brown, McArthur, Fletcher, Anya, Morrison, Maloney, Burke, Bannan.

Fletcher, Naismith, Rhodes, Griffiths.

Players like Watt, McCormack, GMS, Jack, Armstrong, Boyd, Bardsley, Bryson, Phillips, May and others could be in there. Possibly the hardest squad in years to predict, particularly because of the opposition.

Edited by PASTA Mick

Hopefully Gauld is in the main squad. He's still working his way through the team at Sporting, but it would give him a tremendous wee bounce and without being too disrespectful to Gibraltar, they are perfect opponents for an official debut and a chance to get some confidence. The fans would go absolutley mental too.