Riga - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Riga

Duncan Blackheart

Hi folks,

Am off to Riga tomorrow. Have never been before - does anyone have any tips about where to go/ what to avoid?

Going with the missus, so I want to do a couple of nice restaurants. We're going to go to the markets and might attempt a wee boat trip if it looks good. We'll also take on the old town, so any suggestions for decent boozers are most welcome!

Cheers!

Years since I have been, but if you have time, maybe look in to a trip to Jurmala (its the Latvian equivalent of Largs or something) and really nice place (I prefer Ventspils, but it takes a eternity to get to from Riga, and type of place you need to stay a couple of days).

A lot of the bars I recall from the early 00's have closed down (Dickens Pub was one that went down in TA legend, but closed down in 2008) but Paddy Whelans pub is apparently still going strong (as Paddy boozers go, its one of the best).

The place can be a bit ropey, so take taxis at night. They're probably as costly as here, as is food and drink in the centre. Plenty of nice restauarants, but don't expect them to be deadly cheap.

Be a bit careful with some of the pubs as they are glorified knocking shops, with young girls all over single guys if they happen to wander in. Avoid pubs with guys in leather jackets as bouncers. I'm told that they are members of the ethnic Russian mafia that causes trouble in Riga.

Best place I went was "Bites Blūza Klubs", which is a blues / jazz club where you can eat and hopefully there will be a band on. Nice place to take the missus.

Jurmala is nice, but will be a bit quiet (and cold) at this time of the year.

If you're going to visit one museum make it the Museum of the Occupation; you'll see why the Latvians hate the Russians, who still make up a significant proportion of the population. If you like looking at buildings, you'll love Riga.

If you're going to visit one museum make it the Museum of the Occupation; you'll see why the Latvians hate the Russians, who still make up a significant proportion of the population. If you like looking at buildings, you'll love Riga.

Agree, fantastic museum.

Some of the photos in it are really haunting..... there is one of people being rounded up in the middle of the Baltic sea after trying to flee to Sweden in floating barrels!

Paddy Whelans was still active a couple of years ago when I was there. It is the main ex-pat pub in the city as far as I can tell. Upstairs you can get a bit extra on top of the usual beer and pub grub they offer. I agree with the Sky Bar call on top floor of some mid range touristy hotel... the opening times are actually a bit limited and there may be a queue for getting up there with young Rigans desperate to pay excessive prices for a drink with a nice view. If you don't get up there early though you may find it hard to get a window seat and you would be just as well sitting in the lobby bar as you wont see much. There is a lot to see relatively centrally and within walking distance. I was not that impressed with the museum of occupation (the only message was "we got well and truly shat on by the Germans and the Russians"). The markets in the old Zeppelin hangers are good fun - the fish market one is quite amazing if a little smelly obviously!