Scotland Players In Action - Page 143 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James McArthur played the 90 mins in the win at Liverpool. Cleared one off the line but can't see much more from a quick google. Anybody watch the game ? Playing as the defensive/holding guy he probably doesn't get noticed much but he is a regular in that team - who have just gone above Liverpool and Everton so he must be playing well. Would be interesting to see how Scott Brown would do in that league.....

killiefaetheferry, on 09 Nov 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

James McArthur played the 90 mins in the win at Liverpool. Cleared one off the line but can't see much more from a quick google. Anybody watch the game ? Playing as the defensive/holding guy he probably doesn't get noticed much but he is a regular in that team - who have just gone above Liverpool and Everton so he must be playing well. Would be interesting to see how Scott Brown would do in that league.....

McArthur's absence from the team in Georgia was bamboozling to me. It was simply another example of Strachan sticking with his favourites, rather than looking at players and tactics objectively, to the detriment of the team.

McArthur's absence from the team in Georgia was bamboozling to me. It was simply another example of Strachan sticking with his favourites, rather than looking at players and tactics objectively, to the detriment of the team.

Griffiths absence appears farcical now

Why? He has proved he only scores against diddy SPL teams.

With you on this. Fed up with Celtic (and formerly Rangers) players, especially goalscorers, being touted as call-ups or mainstays, when in reality they are only scoring or playing well against relatively poor opposition. I'm thinking of the internationally acclaimed goalscoring expoits of the likes of Gary Hooper, Scott McDonald (sp ?) Wanyama, Giorgios Samaras etc. I see I am mixing up my argument with 'Foreigners' but I'm sure you get my point. These guys are failing in England but were a cut above in the SPL. Griffiths couldnae hack it at the top level so he is where he is, and playing well in a shite league.

The last I can remember Celtic being big or relevant enough in big boy terms was their Seville team era when the likes of Sutton would be able to play top 6 in England. Depressing for our game in Scotland. :angry:

McArthur is the sort of tidy player that doesn't stand out and so it's often difficult to see his value to the team.

He seems to be behind Brown in the pecking order and really could do with an extended run in the side. I'd say at the moment his form is better than Brown and probably has been for most of this year.

That said, it's really difficult for a manager to drop his captain especially during a campaign and when that captain is also captain of one of the OF clubs it's even more difficult.

While I'd say McArthur should probably be in before Brown, what is less clear to me is who the captain should be. I'm not sure you can look to Fletcher anymore, I'd put McArthur ahead of him at the moment.

It's good that he's coming back but I hope that Steve Bruce takes his time in easing Snoddy back into the Hull team. Another couple of games for the development side are what's in order. Too often are players suffering from bad injuries back playing again not fully fit or relying on painkillers.

It's good that he's coming back but I hope that Steve Bruce takes his time in easing Snoddy back into the Hull team. Another couple of games for the development side are what's in order. Too often are players suffering from bad injuries back playing again not fully fit or relying on painkillers.

I don't think there is any risk of that happening with how well Hull are currently doing. No need to rush him. What is important though is that after such a lengthy time out he is able to find the form he was showing before injury. With our next set of fixtures taking place in March it gives him plenty of time to find a bit of form!

aaid, on 09 Nov 2015 - 6:38 PM, said:

McArthur is the sort of tidy player that doesn't stand out and so it's often difficult to see his value to the team.

He seems to be behind Brown in the pecking order and really could do with an extended run in the side. I'd say at the moment his form is better than Brown and probably has been for most of this year.

That said, it's really difficult for a manager to drop his captain especially during a campaign and when that captain is also captain of one of the OF clubs it's even more difficult.

While I'd say McArthur should probably be in before Brown, what is less clear to me is who the captain should be. I'm not sure you can look to Fletcher anymore, I'd put McArthur ahead of him at the moment.

He didn't have to drop Brown in Georgia. I'd have played both McArthur and Brown in the deep lying positions, with Morrison further forward. Naismith in the central striker role.

It really wasn't rocket science. I said that was what was required before the game in Georgia. McArthur in there to anchor the midfield and protect us against the counter attacks.

He didn't have to drop Brown in Georgia. I'd have played both McArthur and Brown in the deep lying positions, with Morrison further forward. Naismith in the central striker role.

It really wasn't rocket science. I said that was what was required before the game in Georgia. McArthur in there to anchor the midfield and protect us against the counter attacks.

I think Morrison is better deployed further forwards as well, in the middle of the attacking three. That's where he generally plays for WBA.

Problem is I think Strachan sacrifices Morrison in his natural position - because he knows he can play in the holding position, albeit less effectively overall - so that he can have the attacking three of Anya, Maloney and Naismith, all three of who, to be fair, have made big contributions in this campaign.

Fletcher is more effective in the lone striker role than Naismith.

Your only option to bring McArthur in then is to drop either Brown or Morrison, and looking at their similar capabilities it's a case of dropping Brown.

Unless he has a real improvement in form over the remainder of the season, Strachan really has to look at sidelining Brown.

Edited by aaid