Scotland Players In Action - Page 164 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think thats a tad harsh on the boy, Arfield is a good player and playing in a good league for a premiership bound side

He played in EPL last season. He wasn't good enough then either. Playing in the EPL is some fantastic barometer of a good player. Arfield is a bang average English league player. Never good enough of international football.

He played in EPL last season. He wasn't good enough then either. Playing in the EPL is some fantastic barometer of a good player. Arfield is a bang average English league player. Never good enough of international football.

Kyle Lafferty and Josh Magennis play international football, and relatively successful! Most games in the premiership are a better standard than a lot of your international games. Airfield is no world beater but he is better than bang average.

If that was the case then who is good enough for International football?

Also as in International football I take it you mean Scotland and not NI, ROI, Iceland etc?

I agree in part with you but with the level we are at now - Poorest home nation, really a very very below average side and an extremely poor domestic league at home in Scotland... If a player is playing in the EPL we really should be taking a look at them.

I don't get this we are the poorest home nation..............

ok we didn't make the finals but that was more down to us being in a hard group than being poor..

if we were in NI group we would of got there. if we had Greece as out number1 seeds then we would have qualified.

we have improved a lot over the last few years and with a few changes we will be even better.

ok we didn't make the finals but that was more down to us being in a hard group than being poor..

if we were in NI group we would of got there. if we had Greece as out number1 seeds then we would have qualified.

we have improved a lot over the last few years and with a few changes we will be even better.

What are you basing that on!?

We are delusional if we don't think we are the poorest home nation at the moment. They have players who can score goals in international football - Something we lack unless we are playing Gibraltar or other sides among the worlds poorest.

We are the poorest home nation at the moment but only cos we didn't qualify for the euros.in truth there is very little between any home nations with the exception of England.I do think we had a strong group in qualifying this time and results of the head to head between positions 1 to 4 show this to be true.we always have at least one game in an otherwise medicore qualifying campaign where we shoot ourselves in the foot.we are not feeling very good at the moment.

Edited by allyc

I am inclined to agree.

We got a group with the World Champions, a side with arguably the most inform striker in Europe at the time and was always going to be a flip of a coin between us and the Republic on who finished ahead of the other (plus we were saying on here for months that Georgia were a tricky side who would take points off someone.... and sod's law it was us!)..... was always a case of we were going to finish 3rd or 4th before the group even kicked off.

NI got a group we would have given our right arm for. I am not saying we would have won the group, but we would easily have been in the top 3 in that group.... I think we were in the same seeded pot as Finland

Wales, if you take Bale out of their side is man-for-man not that much stronger than us (maybe they have a stronger defense, but we have more depth in quality keepers, would say there is very little between our midfield's, and we probably have the better depth in strikers.... as I said, major difference is they have Bale, whereas we have nothing close to a player in that league who can win games on his own)

I am inclined to agree.

We got a group with the World Champions, a side with arguably the most inform striker in Europe at the time and was always going to be a flip of a coin between us and the Republic on who finished ahead of the other (plus we were saying on here for months that Georgia were a tricky side who would take points off someone.... and sod's law it was us!)..... was always a case of we were going to finish 3rd or 4th before the group even kicked off.

NI got a group we would have given our right arm for. I am not saying we would have won the group, but we would easily have been in the top 3 in that group.... I think we were in the same seeded pot as Finland

Wales, if you take Bale out of their side is man-for-man not that much stronger than us (maybe they have a stronger defense, but we have more depth in quality keepers, would say there is very little between our midfield's, and we probably have the better depth in strikers.... as I said, major difference is they have Bale, whereas we have nothing close to a player in that league who can win games on his own)

Wales are streaks ahead of us. Bale aside - Ashley Williams is the sort of centre half we have been waiting 20 years for. Aaron Ramsey is more creative than any player we've had since the Collins/McAllister era and players such as Ben Davies, Joe Allen and James Collins play for top clubs in the EPL - Something none of ours do.

My main point being we are delusional about where we are at.

We are at rock bottom, we need to start again. We need to clear out some tried and tested failures - Change our tried and tested (and failed) formation and give ourselves some renewed hope and enthusiasm with some new younger players and a new system introduced.

It's important to look for an opportunity during times of adversity - This is exactly that. We can start afresh now as we can't get any worse and have nothing to lose. Flogging an extremely dead horse into the next campaign is the worst thing we can do and providing we can admit and realise where we are then we can move forward in the right manner looking to the future with hope.

Wales are streaks ahead of us. Bale aside - Ashley Williams is the sort of centre half we have been waiting 20 years for. Aaron Ramsey is more creative than any player we've had since the Collins/McAllister era and players such as Ben Davies, Joe Allen and James Collins play for top clubs in the EPL - Something none of ours do.

My main point being we are delusional about where we are at.

We are at rock bottom, we need to start again. We need to clear out some tried and tested failures - Change our tried and tested (and failed) formation and give ourselves some renewed hope and enthusiasm with some new younger players and a new system introduced.

It's important to look for an opportunity during times of adversity - This is exactly that. We can start afresh now as we can't get any worse and have nothing to lose. Flogging an extremely dead horse into the next campaign is the worst thing we can do and providing we can admit and realise where we are then we can move forward in the right manner looking to the future with hope.

Looking at the Welsh team, players I would take from them are Bale (naturally), Williams, Collins (is West Ham really a "top club"?????), Ledley (who all are/or just about the wrong side of 30) Andy King and Ramsey.... that is only 6 players from their team, and yet from our squad I would still take all 3 of our keepers, Hanley, Martin, Robertson, Hutton, Brown, D Fletcher, Ritchie, Naismith, S Fletcher, McArthur, Morrison, Anya and Rhodes.

We are not rock bottom as a result we did not get out of a tough group.... the Vogts era was rock bottom when we struggled to get a side together and had to play guys like Rab Douglas, Lee Wilkie, Stevie Crawford etc plus the bottom of the barrel in English one-cap wonders.

Still feel a element of the blame for our failure to qualify is down to Strachan due to his failure to have a Plan B when his original game plan fails within the first 15 minutes of a game, and to be far to loyal to certain players who were majorly off form at the time.

I agree with this. The Faroe Islands took 6 points off Greece. That's the equivalent of Gibraltar beating Germany twice in our group - was never going to happen.

Unfortunately, with only 7 or 8 games a year, international football is really all about results. More so than club football.

Our performance levels are much better in general and we score more goals. Off the top of my head, was Georgia away the only game we failed to score in? If we can stop giving away the cheap goals I think we're on the right path, which is something that can be fixed.

Sorry but that's just complete crap. Lets not forget that neither Poland nor the Republic of Ireland beat us and had we been able to hold onto the lead in Warsaw we'd have had a better head to head record against both of them.

The World Champions were so unassailable that both Poland and the ROI beat them.

As for saying its sods law that Georgia were going to take points off someone, well its always us.

It was a tough group but we should have been capable of finishing second in that group and at one point very likely.

I am inclined to agree.

Did you actually watch all of our games? Apart from the away game in Germany, we were absolutely p i s h in the rest of them.