Scotland Players In Action - Page 170 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear he is playing better. Many players are very good in the championship; Bryson, Martin, Shinnie even - however the step up to international football is a questionable one for them.

I'm not saying it is the case for BB but he has been very poor in his most recent games for us and is short of EPL quality

...and yet Strachan says he was born to play international football. He was dropped because he wasn't playing for his club.

...and yet Strachan says he was born to play international football. He was dropped because he wasn't playing for his club.

"ProudScot" incessantly slags off the SPFL and also generally dismisses Scottish players who play in the Championship. He holds the EPL as the one true test of a player's ability and if players are not playing in the EPl, then he doesn't rate them as players or rate them as being good enough for Scotland. Basically SKY has him brainwashed and he is unable to make an assessment of his own as to whether a player is any good regardless of what division they are playing in. It's not his fault.......

"ProudScot" incessantly slags off the SPFL and also generally dismisses Scottish players who play in the Championship. He holds the EPL as the one true test of a player's ability and if players are not playing in the EPl, then he doesn't rate them as players or rate them as being good enough for Scotland. Basically SKY has him brainwashed and he is unable to make an assessment of his own as to whether a player is any good regardless of what division they are playing in. It's not his fault.......

its hard to argue that the EPL isn't better than the championship. Thats the point of a league pyramid system - the EPL is better than championship. The more players playing at that level the better surely. Would be better if they were also playing in the bundesliga or la liga but they are not

its hard to argue that the EPL isn't better than the championship. Thats the point of a league pyramid system - the EPL is better than championship. The more players playing at that level the better surely. Would be better if they were also playing in the bundesliga or la liga but they are not

That is completely ridiculous. No one is saying that the EPL isn't better than the Championship. That would just be stupid. What some folk are saying is that you don't have to play in the EPL to be good enough for Scotland.

ProudScot is a troll or an idiot. One of the two and his nMe on this forum has to be the most ironic of them all.

Edited by Marky

The league is better. That doesn't necessarily mean that every player who plays in the EPL is better than any player who plays in "lesser" leagues. You should be able to assess a player's ability yourself and not have the league or team they are playing at inform you. For example I would say Robertson (Championship) and Shinnie (SPFL) are better full backs than Hutton or Whittaker.

That is completely ridiculous. No one is saying that the EPL isn't better than the Championship. That would just be stupid. What some folk are saying is that you don't have to play in the EPL to be good enough for Scotland.

ProudScot is a troll or an idiot. One of the two and his nMe on this forum has to be the most ironic of them all.

Lol

What we need is players playing in the top teams in the top Leagues.

We don't have any at the moment. Not counting this season in the EPL but I think the top teams are.

5 or 6 in the EPL 2 in France 6 in Spain and 3 or 4 in Italy not that many teams when put like this.

without any top players and the SPL struggling we will always struggle.

after the top teams I don't think there is much difference between the EPL and the Top of the Championship.

I would rather have a top Championship player than a struggling EPL player.

I would rather have a top Championship player than a struggling EPL player.

Are they not the same players?

Last year Anya was a top Championship player, this year he is a struggling EPL player. Bridcutt and Bannan have gone from struggling EPL players to good championship players.

What you are saying sounds like you'd drop them after they take a step up. That is madness and encourages players to sit in their comfort zones.

I think the point being made is that the more players playing at a higher level we have the better.

EPL is a higher level than the Championship, the Championship is a predominantly higher level than the SPL etc.

It's not rocket science that players 'become' better players when they drop down from the EPL to the Championship - They perform better as the level of opposition drops.

I think the point being made is that the more players playing at a higher level we have the better.

EPL is a higher level than the Championship, the Championship is a predominantly higher level than the SPL etc.

It's not rocket science that players 'become' better players when they drop down from the EPL to the Championship - They perform better as the level of opposition drops.

But surely the only or sorry best way to become a better player is to play against better players and teams so yeah the likes of anya is struggling a bit in the EPL but surely he and others will Benefit in the long term they will be fitter more alert etc which can only benefit the international team so for me and I will use anya as an example I would rather he be struggling a bit in the EPL than being a superstar in the championship

But surely the only or sorry best way to become a better player is to play against better players and teams so yeah the likes of anya is struggling a bit in the EPL but surely he and others will Benefit in the long term they will be fitter more alert etc which can only benefit the international team so for me and I will use anya as an example I would rather he be struggling a bit in the EPL than being a superstar in the championship

Exactly. They will be playing against better players in the Premier League so they are better off there for the benefit of our national side.

Steven Fletcher on for the last 10 mins, got an amazing reaction from the crowd. PSG winning 2-1.

Yeah, the Marseille ultras had the saltires out. Gullible mugs. Saying that, a little bit more luck on the break of the ball and he could have had a couple of goals in those 15 mins.

Last year Anya was a top Championship player, this year he is a struggling EPL player. Bridcutt and Bannan have gone from struggling EPL players to good championship players.

He actually struggled to get a game in the Championship. Was surprised when he started the first dozen or so games in the EPL this season.

Exactly. They will be playing against better players in the Premier League so they are better off there for the benefit of our national side.

Thats my view too. For example, next season - I'd much rather Norwich stayed up and struggled than got relegated and were pushing for promotion.

Surely its better that Russell Martin is playing against the likes of Aguero and Costa than playing against Rotherham or Bristol City's strikers.

Thats my view too. For example, next season - I'd much rather Norwich stayed up and struggled than got relegated and were pushing for promotion.

Surely its better that Russell Martin is playing against the likes of Aguero and Costa than playing against Rotherham or Bristol City's strikers.

Spot on.

It's good to see Bannan, Bridcutt and others having good seasons in the Championship but I won't be gettiing too excited until they step back up a division and continue to impress.

Edited by PASTA Mick

Spot on.

It's good to see Bannan, Bridcutt and others having good seasons in the Championship but I won't be gettiing too excited until they step back up a division and continue to impress.

The Premiership doesn't necessarily prepare players for International football even though it's players are of a high standard. England continually under achieve at that level and it's probably a lot to do with the 100 mile an hour stuff on offer in that league.

The Premiership doesn't necessarily prepare players for International football even though it's players are of a high standard. England continually under achieve at that level and it's probably a lot to do with the 100 mile an hour stuff on offer in that league.

Maybe not, but do you think the Championship does?

Preston are a pretty average Championship side and their best player is a Scottish player with 1 cap. There some some poor sides in that division, particularly, when you compare it to international football.

Playing against the likes of Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal will prepare you much better for international football than any game in the Championship. Anyone that can't see that is kidding themselves on.