Scotland Players In Action - Page 181 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

It's effectively the Sporting reserves team, but have a actual league spot, so in a sense it is first team action he gets.

Way it works is I believe the first and B teams both train together at the same time, and if needed he can be called into the first team at any time (I am sure he has been on the bench for Sporting a couple of times already)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hes still got time on his side could be in our national team for another 14 years but its a bit of a set back that hes not playing or even regularly involved in the first team. This perhaps says a even more so about our national youth set up at club and national level where the great hope of Scottish football cant get first team football at one of the second to third level club sides - little bit depressing

10 hours ago, macy37 said:

He's 20 years auld now.

He should be playing football at a better level surely?

Portugal 1st div is a better level than the spfl though. Especially from a technical perpective. Gauld was saying he is miles behind the other players in terms of technical ability and he is one of our more technically gifted players.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Portugal 1st div is a better level than the spfl though. Especially from a technical perpective. Gauld was saying he is miles behind the other players in terms of technical ability and he is one of our more technically gifted players.

Do you believe that is really the case?

Aberdeen, Celtic etc would struggle in that league then?

19 hours ago, macy37 said:

Do you believe that is really the case?

Aberdeen, Celtic etc would struggle in that league then?

I believe that Celtic and Aberdeen would win the Portugese 1st division but that the style of football they played wouldnt be inferior in terms of technical ability. 

That playing a certain way can only take you so far and for a player to go right to the top he needs technical ability and live like an athlete. I think the Portugese 1st division is a better league in that regard than any division in Scotland and therefore is a better place for young players to develop.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I believe that Celtic and Aberdeen would win the Portugese 1st division but that the style of football they played wouldnt be inferior in terms of technical ability. 

That playing a certain way can only take you so far and for a player to go right to the top he needs technical ability and live like an athlete. I think the Portugese 1st division is a better league in that regard than any division in Scotland and therefore is a better place for young players to develop.

Interesting. Thanks.

Terrible crowds watch that league.

Makes our 2nd league crowds look fantastic even without the recent addition of the 'bigger' teams.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Spot on and it could be were Scottish and English football has gone wrong

I think it is tragic that celtic went and bought ryan christie, scott allan and stuart armstrong just to make them bench players. Even more tragic is that someone like colin kazim richard can come on before any of them. Armstrong was quality against inter milan and ryn christie set up 2 of our goals in the U21 game.

Its like the old days when celtic and rangers used to buy young scottish players and play them in the reserves. If Scotland are to become a greater team, the SFA needs to implement a plan to have at least 6 scottish players start each game.. or something like that. Instead of over paid foreign players and english loan players.

12 minutes ago, jamboman said:

I think it is tragic that celtic went and bought ryan christie, scott allan and stuart armstrong just to make them bench players. Even more tragic is that someone like colin kazim richard can come on before any of them. Armstrong was quality against inter milan and ryn christie set up 2 of our goals in the U21 game.

Its like the old days when celtic and rangers used to buy young scottish players and play them in the reserves. If Scotland are to become a greater team, the SFA needs to implement a plan to have at least 6 scottish players start each game.. or something like that. Instead of over paid foreign players and english loan players.

I would rather that young Scottish players would just wake up to the fact that going to the old firm is not a good career move. I'd rather see our players going to the likes if Rotherham and Preston than the old firm.

1 hour ago, Jagtag said:

I would rather that young Scottish players would just wake up to the fact that going to the old firm is not a good career move. I'd rather see our players going to the likes if Rotherham and Preston than the old firm.

Staying in  the SPL with anyone else is the worst possible career move. 

2 hours ago, Jagtag said:

going to Rangers doesn't seem to be too bad a move. Their manager has made it quite clear he wants a small squad where all the players are involved. The SPFL isn't a great standard for prospective internationalists but it's ok for 16-23 year olds.

3 hours ago, jamboman said:

In fairness to Deila - he is playing Scottish players  in Celtic's first team. At least 5 or 6 Scots are regularly starting for them. Thats more than some sides - eg Inverness 

If Christie, Allan and Armstrong aren't good enough to play regularly for Celtic then they aren't good enough for Scotland. Think next season will be critical for all three (Christie has a bit more time), although suspect Allan will be in English championship/league 1 next season.

6 minutes ago, Wolfgang Overthebar said:

In fairness to Deila - he is playing Scottish players  in Celtic's first team. At least 5 or 6 Scots are regularly starting for them. Thats more than some sides - eg Inverness

If Christie, Allan and Armstrong aren't good enough to play regularly for Celtic then they aren't good enough for Scotland. Think next season will be critical for all three (Christie has a bit more time), although suspect Allan will be in English championship/league 1 next season.

I think the worry is not that they aren't good enough for celtic then they aren't good enough for Scotland. As at this very point in time all three of them have at least 8 years of international football ahead of them and do have the ability to develop into international players in the future. The worry is they wont be developing by sitting on the bench and not playing first team football which I think is a disaster for the national team, I appreciate Celtic have absolutely no responsibility for having to developing players for the national team.

Someone at the SFA should be having these conversations with the player and their family when signing for teams (not just celtic) where the chances of playing first team football on a regular basis and developing their skills is limited

1 hour ago, borojock said:

I think the worry is not that they aren't good enough for celtic then they aren't good enough for Scotland. As at this very point in time all three of them have at least 8 years of international football ahead of them and do have the ability to develop into international players in the future. The worry is they wont be developing by sitting on the bench and not playing first team football which I think is a disaster for the national team, I appreciate Celtic have absolutely no responsibility for having to developing players for the national team.

Someone at the SFA should be having these conversations with the player and their family when signing for teams (not just celtic) where the chances of playing first team football on a regular basis and developing their skills is limited

Not disagreeing entirely with what you suggest. (the question of course is where is best for young Scots to develop? - not for this thread) 

However, Deila has picked a 19-year-old scotsman Tierney over Izaguirre - a 29 year-old with 82 international caps - this season. Its entirely possible Tierney's form will drop and he will lose his place but it cant be denied that Deila is prepared to give youth a chance and play at least a handful of scots every game.  

15 hours ago, jamboman said:

Your post should have been written in 2003. Celtic have at times been starting 7 Scottish players this season. In fact I am sure there was a game I watched recently where there were 8 Scots in the starting line up. As mentioned above Tierney has come through and displaced a regular (foreign) internationalist at left back. Young McGregor has had 20+ league appearances as has GMS. The reason Stuart Armstrong hasn't featured as much is because he has been drastically out of form. Should Deila keep on picking him just because he is Scottish?

Your point about Kazim-Richards coming on before Armstrong and Christie is utter nonsense. You realise that CKR is a centre forward and comes on instead of or to play along side Griffiths and the other two are midfielder players? You do understand the concept of positions on a football pitch don't you because your comments seem to think you should just chuck any player on....because they are Scottish. FFS.

Maybe you should look at other sides, including your own multi-national team, before having a pop at teams who are actually playing Scottish players. Celtic would, and do, manage your proposed 6 Scottish players no problems. Would Hearts?

Edited by Dalgety Bay TA

16 hours ago, jamboman said:

I think it is tragic that celtic went and bought scott allan  just to make them bench players.

As i've said on here many times, Scott Allan isn't very good. That's probably why he doesn't get a sniff of a game. A few look away passes doesn't make him brilliant.