Scotland Players In Action - Page 186 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

3 hours ago, aaid said:

He did reasonably okay and looked like a prospect when he first came into the Villa first team but faded badly after his first season.  Holloway - who had previously signed him on loan at Blackpool - signed him at Palace but he got punted shortly after and Pulis and then Pardew didn't fancy him at all. 

Thanks for the memory nudge ! Yes I remember his move now - was it on the back of his 'off the field' issues ? Think he did not bad for Holloway but can understand that certain Managers will always require a level of 'physicality' that Bannan just doesn't have. He needs a Manager who believes the trade off in terms of his other qualities is worth it.

If he is playing well, fit, and has put his issues behind him then it's great news that his form is so good.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Yeah because Pulis did such a shit job at Stoke and now is doing terribly at WBA. 

As for Pardew, look at the difference between Newcastle before and after he left. 

You might not like them as individuals or like their style but you can't say they are not good managers. 

you can. they are not good managers. they are effective managers in terms of stifling the opposition, playing direct football and grinding out results using a tried and tested formation with players they know will play to that system and do a job for them. these managers will stop teams from getting relegated or push for promotion and are therefore effective. good managers develop young players and existing players, change tactics and formations, attempt to play football that fans want to see and are ambitious.

22 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Thanks for the memory nudge ! Yes I remember his move now - was it on the back of his 'off the field' issues ? Think he did not bad for Holloway but can understand that certain Managers will always require a level of 'physicality' that Bannan just doesn't have. He needs a Manager who believes the trade off in terms of his other qualities is worth it.

If he is playing well, fit, and has put his issues behind him then it's great news that his form is so good.

don't understand this. what trade off - he works hard, is tenacious, forever tackling, and is one of the most gifted passers of the ball in the Division/Scotland squad. the trade off you suggest is that all your midfielders need to be over six foot and have wrestler builds? to do what with? the merest of nudges/contact merits a foul in most games in most leagues..........

15 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

you can. they are not good managers. they are effective managers in terms of stifling the opposition, playing direct football and grinding out results using a tried and tested formation with players they know will play to that system and do a job for them. these managers will stop teams from getting relegated or push for promotion and are therefore effective. good managers develop young players and existing players, change tactics and formations, attempt to play football that fans want to see and are ambitious.

I'm sure the Palace fans, having just got to the Cup Final or WBA fans having just knocked Spurs' championship chances off the rails don't see it that way.

43 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

don't understand this. what trade off - he works hard, is tenacious, forever tackling, and is one of the most gifted passers of the ball in the Division/Scotland squad. the trade off you suggest is that all your midfielders need to be over six foot and have wrestler builds? to do what with? the merest of nudges/contact merits a foul in most games in most leagues..........

Didn't say I agreed with it, just that it possibly exists that some Managers will pack the team with 6 foot plus athletes.

7 hours ago, aaid said:

We'll see. He certainly was when he was at Villa and Palace. 

I think the difference is he is playing for a team that suits his style of play and playing regular. As someone pointed out his time at villa went downhill after his off field antics and the resultant club ban. After that he just couldn't get himself going again

9 minutes ago, hunchy said:

I think the difference is he is playing for a team that suits his style of play and playing regular. As someone pointed out his time at villa went downhill after his off field antics and the resultant club ban. After that he just couldn't get himself going again

That's probably true, although he is also playing at a lower level now, which I'd say is also a big factor  

I was only pointing out to someone who said that he wouldn't be out of his depth in the Premiership, that he has demonstrably been exactly that in the past.

Jordan Archer won Millwalls player of the year award last night.

With Millwall in the mix to go up from League 1 this season, if they can get into the Championship next season could be a serious option for us in the goalkeeper department.

Edited by wanderer

8 hours ago, Rab The Crab said:

How has he done out there, many starts/goals?

He's a regular starter now. Seems to link up well with Michy Batshuayi who is a real natural striker. Stevie 'link up' Fletcher tends to provide the chances for the other guys, which isn't that bad in reality. I just wish his agent (or whoever it is) would stop hyping him up as a big goal scoring striker.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Looks like Scott Brown is out of the two friendly games in June.

A few years ago that would have been worrying. Now, he's no big loss.

Perhaps, but he probably does need an extended break. Let's see how he looks in the Champions League qualifiers. If he can reproduce the form of 6 years ago, then fine.

48 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Another 90 min for S. Fletcher in a Marseille win. There would be much urination if this was a different player. I predict Scotland will benefit from this move, and I hope it's permanent.

Hasn't he only scored one goal though? Not a stat worth urinating over.

4 hours ago, Al1978 said:

Hasn't he only scored one goal though? Not a stat worth urinating over.

Hes no a striker though thats the thing, he creates a lot and holds the ball up well, never has been an out and out scorer