Scotland Players In Action - Page 194 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of our problems has to be the fact none, bar 1, of our players play at the top of the tree.

Epl players performing at WBA, Hull etc and not much better than those at Celtic, Hearts etc. 

Some of the play yesterday by our Hull players was incredibly bad. Robertson will never be a defender as long as we have holes in our bums.

20 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Part of our problems has to be the fact none, bar 1, of our players play at the top of the tree.

Epl players performing at WBA, Hull etc and not much better than those at Celtic, Hearts etc. 

Some of the play yesterday by our Hull players was incredibly bad. Robertson will never be a defender as long as we have holes in our bums.

Just watched the highlights of the Hull game and I think you're being harsh on Roberston.  I don't think you could put the fault for any of the goals at his feet, or Marshalls for that.   The first two goals were from deep free kicks and the third was a penalty. 

3 hours ago, RabtheBruce said:

Tierney is a better defender so would probably have started anyway, but given Robertson's pace and attacking prowess, we should probably try and accommodate both in the starting 11. Alas, not to be at Wembley.

Genuine question here just because I hear it a lot, is Tiernay a better defender than Robertson?  I have seen Robertson a few times for both Hull and Scotland (and Queens Park once), he makes mistakes and I wish he didn't but its not unusual for young defenders to do that and have seen him put in some very good performances against some top clss opposition as well. 

Fair question. I don't think Robertson's a poor defender merely that he's better going forward imo. Both are good players who can attack and defend well, however, I'm more impressed by Tierney's defensive capabilities. I'm not a Celtic fan but that boy really knows how to defend well. Both are already good players and could go on to be very good. We desperately need at least one quality centre half to emerge in this campaign. Berra isn't the answer imo.

21 minutes ago, Alan said:

Don't understand the obsession with McCormack. He's a decent player but where would you put him in the team and who would he replace?

It's not an obsession but as you say he's a decent player, who's probably not been given a fair chance and is bizarrely ignored despite scoring more and playing more than others in the squad. 

If it's true he's said he doesn't want to join the squad unless guaranteed a start then Strachan should just say that. 

13 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Genuine question here just because I hear it a lot, is Tiernay a better defender than Robertson?  I have seen Robertson a few times for both Hull and Scotland (and Queens Park once), he makes mistakes and I wish he didn't but its not unusual for young defenders to do that and have seen him put in some very good performances against some top clss opposition as well. 

Tierney is certainly a more complete footballer and you could easily see him playing in midfield he's so good on the ball and at picking a pass.  Robertson's quicker so when defending is just a matter of winning a race, he has Tierney there.  Robertson's major weakness seems to be that when he has a bad game, it is an out-and-out shocker.  Doesn't make a mistake in isolation but loses confidence and makes error after error.

10 hours ago, Alan said:

Don't understand the obsession with McCormack. He's a decent player but where would you put him in the team and who would he replace?

I would say he is best as cover for snody in the forward mid role. He wouldn't make it as the lone striker but is able to make the passes around and in the box and also add goals

1 minute ago, noctonjock said:

Hanley not even on the bench for newcastle tonight . Think its time to consider Berra instead

Berra simply has to start v Englan. Played almost every game and before tonight is part of a defence that was the best in the Championship along with Huddersfield and Brighton.