Scotland Players In Action - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

I'm surprised Strachan is a fan of C.Martin. He is a very lazy player. He doesn't really fit into Strachan's philosophy. If the goals dry up for him, then i don't really see anything else worth picking him for. Fletcher, Naismith and others are just as good, and better, at holding the ball up as him.

Really? Watch him closely. He is always coming deep to win the ball. He holds it up well allowing midfield to go past him. Every time I watch derby he is one of the hardest workers on the pitch. He is not Balotelli.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Watch him closely. He is always coming deep to win the ball. He holds it up well allowing midfield to go past him. Every time I watch derby he is one of the hardest workers on the pitch. He is not Balotelli.

I know he comes deep to win the ball and hold it up. My point was that he isn't any better at doing that than a lot of our other strikers. His goals aside, he doesn't do much more. His workrate is far lower than Fletcher, Naismith, McCormack, Russell and Griffiths. Which is something Strachan expects.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm just surprised Strachan favours him ahead of others

I know he comes deep to win the ball and hold it up. My point was that he isn't any better at doing that than a lot of our other strikers. His goals aside, he doesn't do much more. His workrate is far lower than Fletcher, Naismith, McCormack, Russell and Griffiths. Which is something Strachan expects.

I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm just surprised Strachan favours him ahead of others

'His goals aside'. Sorry, but that is the most important aspect of a striker. If he puts the ball in the net, I'm not bothered about how hard he works, if others are doing the leg work. I suppose Gerd Muller wasn't good enough because all he did in a game was put the ball in the net. Horses for courses please !

'His goals aside'. Sorry, but that is the most important aspect of a striker. If he puts the ball in the net, I'm not bothered about how hard he works, if others are doing the leg work. I suppose Gerd Muller wasn't good enough because all he did in a game was put the ball in the net. Horses for courses please !

Granted I've seen very little of him, but from what I've seen I doubt Martin will ever be good enough to score goals at international level.

Scoring goals as a striker for Scotland is equally as important as workrate and creativity in THIS Scotland team.

Rhodes isn't being picked specifically because Strachan won't expect the rest of the team to create for him. (His words)

If it was only about putting the ball in the net then we might as well call up Kris Boyd.

Would we have scored those 2 goals against Germany and Poland if Fletcher (The striker) had your footballing philosophy?

Red for Brown.

I was disappointed in brown today, his last two games for Scotland he looked like a very classy midfielder and he ran the midfield in both games. Today he just wanted to foul players, a bit like the old Scott brown.

Need a full back in to replace Bardsley surely? A right back, Ryan Jack maybe!? Who's next after Hutton, Bardsley and Whittaker?

Ryan Jack is a midfielder.

Whittaker at right back is an upgrade on Bardsley. Good news.