Unpopular Opinions About Scotland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Unpopular Opinions About Scotland

ErsatzThistle

Ever had (or currently have) an opinion that perhaps goes against the grain when it comes to our national team ?

For example: Did you never really see the fuss about a player everyone else regards as a legend ? Did you think certain famous goals were overrated ? Did you hate an otherwise iconic Scotland strip ? Or do you think Aberdeen players should never again be considered for international selection ?

Let it out !

It'll be interesting to see what you guys who watched the team during the 60s, 70s and 80s may have to say.

One thing though, let's try not to get too bogged down in debate and rather keep these "TA heresies" coming thick and fast !

Three from me:

1. Alan Hutton's international form is in decline, and I say that as a Hutton fan.
2. Charlie Adam was mostly useless and a panic merchant at international level.
3. Managers past and present have an annoying habit of calling up players for games not using them, then playing them in friendlies over promising young players purely to "reward them" for turning up a number of times. I hate that kind of thing.

What's yours ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pratt

No need to be abusive. You can pick out certain games and certain goals over the course of his 102 caps and given the success and impact he had at club level, I think he underachieved at International level.

James McFadden wildly over rated.

Brigadoon Kilt Wearing Shortbread Fans

"Needing" an Old Firm representative in the dug out for some peculiar reason

whatabout normal Kilt wearing fans ?

No need to be abusive. You can pick out certain games and certain goals over the course of his 102 caps and given the success and impact he had at club level, I think he underachieved at International level.

I would agree. My first ever game was the Spain 84 game, he scored an absolute beauty that night. He scored a similar one in Belgium not longer afterwards but I do always remember there been a big media thing about him not doing as well for Scotland as he was doing for Liverpool. When you looked at him from Liverpool from 78 to about 84 he was outstanding, probably world class, but he never really produced that level for Scotland in that time period aside from, as you say, certain games and goals. He wasn't consistently great for Scotland and considering some of the diddy teams at international level at the time it could be argued that 30 goals was a poor return from 102 games. He possibly/probably had a far better team around him at Liverpool however? He was a good player for us but he could have been so much more.