Scotland Squad - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Squad

wanderer

Reynolds shouldn't be in there. No idea about Ritchie. He is a decent player but better than GMS or Phillips? May ahead of Watt and Griffiths is a joke.

When was the last time a player won a penalty and scored in a cup final but was slated the next day for being called up to the squad?

That doesnt hide the fact that he really is a below average player. Its a scandalous decision to include him.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We know what Naismith can do. When do you suggest we try other options if we canny do it against Gibraltar?

Sorry but that attitude stinks to high heaven (no offence). It is a qualifying match and considering we have qualified for sweet fanny adams this century we cannot aford to be complacent for one second. We treat Gibraltar with same determination and respect as if they were Germany and do a highly professional job and get the three points - not fanny around experimenting. Save that for the friendly.

I didn't know Matt Ritchie was eligible, but I'm pleased he is - cracking wee player and has had a terrific season for Bournemouth, who are flying. Forrest is my major complaint in that squad, I don't rate him at all, but other than that, I'm pleased enough. GMS, Armstrong, Gauld, Watt, Griffiths etc. can all feel hard done by; but it has to be a positive that we have so many good players competing for places in the squad. It's a long, long time since we could say that.

When was the last time a player won a penalty and scored in a cup final but was slated the next day for being called up to the squad?

Does the fact that 95% of people think he is massively over rated not say something.

Forrest isnt good enough, he shouldnt even be at Celtic.

Gibraltar - best starting xi, bring on the likes of Rhodes, Russell etc if we're (as expected) cruising to victory.

Northern Ireland - Play a strong team but maybe include a couple of uncapped/hardly capped players to give them more experience. Northern Ireland game, although it's a friendly, is still important in terms of our seeding for the World Cup draw in July.

Griffiths has never impressed me anyway so I don't see his exclusion as a big deal. Armong and Mackay-Smith is another matter as both are regular starters for Celtic whilst Forrest isn't? So how come he usurps them in the squad? Still as the old saying goes - In Gord We Trust.

Who is this MacKay- Smith of who you speak??

Think he will play a stronger (but slightly more experimental) team against Northern Ireland (and treat that almost like a qualifier), and make minimal changes to his usual team v Gibraltar to start with, but should we hit the ground running with that one, the changes will come thick and fast in this one.

The inclusion of Forrest is rather worrying. He really isn't very good at all. I can only assume WGS has concerns over the optics of now selecting GMS or Armstrong - both far superior players. Hoping this changes for the games that matter.

Reynolds playing as poorly as he has in a Dons shirt - obvioulsy some pressure to include someone from the Dons in the squad....

Sorry but that attitude stinks to high heaven (no offence). It is a qualifying match and considering we have qualified for sweet fanny adams this century we cannot aford to be complacent for one second. We treat Gibraltar with same determination and respect as if they were Germany and do a highly professional job and get the three points - not fanny around experimenting. Save that for the friendly.

This

I've got plenty of mates who have season tickets at Parkhead that would disagree with you.

Some folk that were slating the manager in September?

International football is so much about pace that it would be mental to leave Forrest out. Pace is the reason Anya is better at international level than club level. Forrest hasn't had his best season and injuries have certainly hampered his progress but there is a terrific player in there and he can be a top player for Celtic and Scotland.

The inclusion of Forrest is rather worrying. He really isn't very good at all. I can only assume WGS has concerns over the optics of now selecting GMS or Armstrong - both far superior players. Hoping this changes for the games that matter.

Reynolds playing as poorly as he has in a Dons shirt - obvioulsy some pressure to include someone from the Dons in the squad....

It could also be because Hanley is injured and there aren't many/any other CB options. We really could do with some decent ones coming through!

Think he will play a stronger (but slightly more experimental) team against Northern Ireland (and treat that almost like a qualifier), and make minimal changes to his usual team v Gibraltar to start with, but should we hit the ground running with that one, the changes will come thick and fast in this one.

Second time you've said this. You do realise Gibraltar match is a competitive match and we can only make 3 subs? How exactly will the changes come thick and fast?

Second time you've said this. You do realise Gibraltar match is a competitive match and we can only make 3 subs? How exactly will the changes come thick and fast?

ie. 2 subs at half time, and his third and final sub not long after...... don't be surprised if Rhodes (for a midfeilder to make us go 2 up front) and Ritchie come on at half time, and McCormack later on

Edited by wanderer

They were.

As Strachan has said he called them up over a year ago long before they went to Celtic. He has had to leave out 13 or 14 players that were there or thereabouts. I like what he said about showing loyalty to the players who have done the job for him so far and are in possession of the jerseys.

As for Forrest, yes a strange one but Strachan seems to know what he is doing and hasn't let us down yet. Probably in there for his pace to run at a Gibraltar defence though I don't see him starting anyway.

I know they were in previous squads, which means no one should have been even making accusations of bias towards Celtic.

Griffiths, GMS and Armstrong should have been in there based on merit.

But it is an incredible "problem" we have at the moment, where we are forced to leave out a lot of good players.

In friendlies.

We should be playing our strongest 11 in every qualifier.

Totally agree, in qualifiers it should be the strongest 11 possible. Let's not piss about, professional job, get the first goal, hopefully get comfortable before half time and then see what happens next!

Gibraltar line up:

McGregor

Hutton - Martin - Greer - Robertson

Ritchie - Brown - Fletcher - Anya

Naismith - Rhodes

Can't see us playing 1 up, and Naismith and Rhodes could link up really well for us in a game like this.

Anya's under pressure from Russell imo, but I think he'll hang onto his place, could well see Russell come on again tho. His ability on the ball may better suit the game.

Ritchie is in great form, I'll be surprised if he doesn't start ahead of Forrest.