Scott Arfield Wanted By Canada - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Arfield Wanted By Canada

wanderer

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he wants to play for Scotland enough then he'll tell them where to go.

If he doesn't then good riddance.

TBH I think this is where McGhee going around and naming every available player going as potential call up's is going to hurt us..... going around promising a call up and that they are in our plans.... call up never comes and all the time (in Arfields case) players from a lower league are getting a call up on a regular basis, or straight to the front of the line.

TBH probably looks at the squad for the up coming games and is wondering why Bannan is picked ahead of him

Perhaps because Bannan has been a regular in the squad who, when called upon, has not let us down? I would hope he is being more pro-active than his thinking - something along the lines of what areas he can improve his game.

Arfield plays left or right midfield.

In those positions we have: Maloney, Anya, Forrest, Bannan, and Ritchie.

Then we have GMS, Phillips, Boyd, Burke, and Armstrong.

In terms of Arfield's playing style, he is most similar to Bannan and Boyd.

Bannan is technically a better player, and Boyd even harder working, and is much more of a goal threat.

IMO the competition is simply too strong for Arfield to get near the team.

Arfield plays left or right midfield.

In those positions we have: Maloney, Anya, Forrest, Bannan, and Ritchie.

Then we have GMS, Phillips, Boyd, Burke, and Armstrong.

In terms of Arfield's playing style, he is most similar to Bannan and Boyd.

Bannan is technically a better player, and Boyd even harder working, and is much more of a goal threat.

IMO the competition is simply too strong for Arfield to get near the team.

Spot on davew.

Perhaps because Bannan has been a regular in the squad who, when called upon, has not let us down? I would hope he is being more pro-active than his thinking - something along the lines of what areas he can improve his game.

hasnt let us down not the same as being good enough. Bannan has shown nothing in a Scotland shirt.

I think Bannan is a good wee player who is calm in possession and brings balance to the side. Played in both our wins over Croatia (missed a penalty at Hampden admittedly) and played well in Dortmund too.

Did he not also get man of the match v Lithuania few years back?

Useful player to have around, and call upon when needed, but unlikely to get a starting place given our midfield options these days.

I think Bannan is a good wee player who is calm in possession and brings balance to the side. Played in both our wins over Croatia (missed a penalty at Hampden admittedly) and played well in Dortmund too.

Nail on the head. He was great in Dortmund (stand out for me) and like I said I cannot recall him having a stinker for us. He has held his own very well at international level unlike some others we have tried out hence why he is a regular in the squad. It is a shame some can't see this.

Some people probably credit him with an assist for Naismith's goal in the Croatia game.

Played in both our wins over Croatia (missed a penalty at Hampden admittedly) and played well in Dortmund too.

He was a passenger against Croatia at home. Kept giving away possession and poor delivery from set pieces. When we got the penalty and I saw him run to grab the ball I was screaming at him to f*ck off and leave it To someone capable of scoring it and knew he would miss. Thankfully Naismith knew too and was quick off the mark.

He does work hard covering back but so far has rarely offered too much going forward.

happy to see him play but keep him away from set pieces and penalties.

I think we are strong in some positions and weak in others and it just so happens that our stronger department is where Arfield plays. The goalkeeping department we have never been stronger, in central defence we are thin on the ground of real top notch central defenders whilst in full-back areas we are not too badly off. In midfield we are really pretty strong with a lot of depth there but up front we are thin on the ground for international class goalscorers.

If Scott Arfield feels Canadian he should play for Canada.

He was a regular for Scotland U21s when at Falkirk so I would be surprised if he felt Canadian.

Over the years I've seen numerous youth players break through with Falkirk who I thought had the potential to become internationalists. I never felt that way about Scotty. He's done well to get to where he has but I think international football would be a step too far for him.

It goes without saying that I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though.

He was a regular for Scotland U21s when at Falkirk so I would be surprised if he felt Canadian.

Over the years I've seen numerous youth players break through with Falkirk who I thought had the potential to become internationalists. I never felt that way about Scotty. He's done well to get to where he has but I think international football would be a step too far for him.

It goes without saying that I'd be delighted to be proved wrong though.

Refreshing. :ok:

A club supporter not blinded by loyalties to their club's past or present players. Very good. :cheers3: