Scott Arfield Wanted By Canada - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Arfield Wanted By Canada

wanderer

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Gordon's then as well. Hmm I suppose you were assistant to Sir Alex. :wtf:

A great performance for me is something like Goram against Holland, Hutton against Italy or maybe even Miller against Italy. While Bannan had a good game and played well it wasn't a "great" performance. Unfortunately great performances are few and far between these days. People throw superlatives around far too easily these days.

Fair enough Fairbairn but the point being then (even by your estimate) he had a good game then and others have pointed out other games he has done well for us in. See the pattern as to why he is involved? Unlike say some people not peeing themselves at the prospect of Griffiths getting called up as in all of his games he has been naff.

Fair enough Fairbairn but the point being then (even by your estimate) he had a good game then and others have pointed out other games he has done well for us in. See the pattern as to why he is involved? Unlike say some people not peeing themselves at the prospect of Griffiths getting called up as in all of his games he has been naff.

To be honest it's the only good game I can remember him having for us and personally I wouldn't have him in the squad but that's another debate.

If it were Stuart Armstrong or Ryan Jack that were thinking of swapping Scotland for Canada I'd be very pissed off. But they aren't.

Don't doubt that Arfield is a half decent player but there are so many other good midfielders in front of him just now at international level that we can't fit him in. I honestly wouldn't begrudge him going to play for Canada. Good luck to him if he does.

Fair play to him though, should he decide to fight it out for a place in the Scotland squad.

I completely agree with Jagtag that Bannon is over-rated. After initially breaking in at Villa he was subsequently overlooked. And he was not first pick at Crystal Palace. For Scotland he has shown glimpses but is not a dominant player. His set-pieces are poor, generally floated rather than whipped. Plus like Jagtag I was screaming for him to be nowhere near the penalty against Croatia. Luckily Naismith was clever enough to anticipate what happened. I would have any of Dorrans, Armstrong, Arfield, Cairney ahead of Bannon.

Out of interest how does Arfield qualify to play for Canada?...

Wow, I am gobsmakked here, his Pokeness. is stumped on a fitba Question.. :wink2::wink2::wink2: I didnt think such a thing was possible,,, seriously...

Don't really see how Arfield merits a call up for us. Yes, he's in the premier league, but he doesn't seem like a particularly effective player at that level. He's mostly playing wide right, and has a sum total of 1 assist all season. That's not playing into the squad for me. I'd rather give an opportunity to the likes of Russell who's in double figures fro assists and goals combined (similarly ritchie) at the top of the league below. When Arfield was at that level he wasn't very productive either. 10 goals 4 assists over 2 seasons and 75 appearances.

I'm not saying he's bad.. But he seems like a steady player, not one who will make a difference. Strachan's said a few times now he's looking for forward players who can do something a little different. A bit of skill or pace to eliminate an opponent because at international level, defenses tend to be very well marshalled and playing in front of them is far less effective as a result. Arfiend doesn't striker me as a player who offers us something different. He's not quick and he's not particularly skilful. He's probably on the list of 40-50 or whatever, but i don't see him making the squad any time soon given the quality of some of the players who didn't make the cut.

Arfield will be thinking that he is playing well and has been for a few years but can't get near the Scotland squad. He has a chance of international football and obviously has a connection to Canada. I say, if he goes for it then good luck to him and I hope he plays well. We've had our chance to cap him and haven't, by the looks of it he won't be near the Scotland team any time soon anyway.

We don't need him, so good luck and I hope he plays a few decent teams on Canada duty.

Arfield plays left or right midfield.

In those positions we have: Maloney, Anya, Forrest, Bannan, and Ritchie.

Then we have GMS, Phillips, Boyd, Burke, and Armstrong.

In terms of Arfield's playing style, he is most similar to Bannan and Boyd.

Bannan is technically a better player, and Boyd even harder working, and is much more of a goal threat.

IMO the competition is simply too strong for Arfield to get near the team.

The competition for a place in the squad is fierce. This can only help our chances in the group. All GOOD.

The few times I've seen Burnley this season Arfield has been a stand out, driving forward from midfield, he was playing in the middle of park, not wide right.

The couple of times I've Bannan he's been pish.

So I'd have Arfield.

Any idea which games those were? Cos from what I can see whenever he's played in the middle they;ve almost always got beaten by 2-3 goals. They've never won with him playing there and only drawn one.. against bottom club Leicester. I'm not saying he cant have a good game and the team can lose, when it actually happened.

Bannan's not played in the middle for us, he's played on the right. So if you want Arfield for the middle, you'd be dropping someone other than Bannan. Morrison? Maloney?

Any idea which games those were? Cos from what I can see whenever he's played in the middle they;ve almost always got beaten by 2-3 goals. They've never won with him playing there and only drawn one.. against bottom club Leicester. I'm not saying he cant have a good game and the team can lose, when it actually happened.

Bannan's not played in the middle for us, he's played on the right. So if you want Arfield for the middle, you'd be dropping someone other than Bannan. Morrison? Maloney?

if i was scot arfield i would argue i should be in the side ahead of Maloney, who was playing for relegation candidates in the division below mine and now plays in a joke league, plus is old and I'm in my prime