Fkin Beeeeeeeeeee! - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wee fella has been running around all weekend shouting "no touch eh bees" and wagging his finger.

He was in the park the other day trying to catch them, and was told by his mum and nana not too touch them.

Maybe he was right and they were wrong?

We live on the top floor of a tenement flat and over the past few days I've seen 1 or 2 buzzing about the windows (and battering off them!). I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but they seem fecking huge compared to usual. I'm also pretty sure that one of them had a red under carriage which I thought was quite unusual for bees?

My wee fella has been running around all weekend shouting "no touch eh bees" and wagging his finger.

He was in the park the other day trying to catch them, and was told by his mum and nana not too touch them.

Maybe he was right and they were wrong?

I'd go with your missus and your maw. Untrustworthy wee bastards - better safe than sorry.

I used to be like that Kirk but since reading Bzzzz's posts about bees I've learned to live alongside them and spend many a day in the garden sharing the shade of my parasol with them in the summer months.

I just can't have them near me. The buzzing makes me shite ma pants, even if its a bluebottle or just a normal houseflies.

I leave them bee (see what I did there) when I can but if they are too close I usually run away.

We live on the top floor of a tenement flat and over the past few days I've seen 1 or 2 buzzing about the windows (and battering off them!). I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not but they seem fecking huge compared to usual. I'm also pretty sure that one of them had a red under carriage which I thought was quite unusual for bees?

Pretty much all of the bumble bees you see at this year of year are queen bees looking for somewhere to build a nest. They are much bigger than ordinary bumble bees. Some species are bigger than others.

Here is a website to help you identify different species

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/

• 3 weeks later...

Did they nick your clubs? Have you reported the wee bastards to the polis?

I sense another insurance claim coming on. He must have been playing shyte with his new clubs so he is on the look out or another set. Eventually he will realise that the fault is with the wizard and not the wands.

• 4 weeks later...

Bzzzz, help me out here. Been trying to persuade the missus that we need to do our bit to help the bee population of Moray. She was having none of it until she saw Springwatch tonight.

So, now I've got the green light what do I do? Got a largish garden complete with an area of wild flowers and I'm happy to plant more. I keep my grass quite long too, which is good for making a nest according to Michaela. What else should I be doing?

Bzzzz, help me out here. Been trying to persuade the missus that we need to do our bit to help the bee population of Moray. She was having none of it until she saw Springwatch tonight.

So, now I've got the green light what do I do? Got a largish garden complete with an area of wild flowers and I'm happy to plant more. I keep my grass quite long too, which is good for making a nest according to Michaela. What else should I be doing?

Lavender! Get loads of lavender! Bees love love it. Also you can get wild flower seeds from the garden centre, batter loads of them in.

For future bee action get cotoneaster and buddleja planter to flower next year.

This site is magic...

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/

Lavender! Get loads of lavender! Bees love love it. Also you can get wild flower seeds from the garden centre, batter loads of them in.

This site is magic...

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/

Cheers pal, looking forward to sharing the garden with lots of bees this summer :ok: If I see a wasp I'm taking a flamethrower to the ####in lot though :shocked:

This site is magic...http://bumblebeeconservation.org/

That site is magic! We've had more bees in the garden this year than ever before, every flower seems to be occupied at once all of the time. My 8 year old has not long taken an interest in them and got a book on them out her school library which she's reading across from me as I type this. We appear to have white tailed, garden bees and Common Carders in the garden going by that site.