Republic Of Ireland V Poland - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Republic Of Ireland V Poland

Geed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised how many people seem to be aiming for 3rd place or at expect that to be our final position.

We need to remember that both Ireland and Poland have played Gibraltar already, thus giving them a 3 point head start. The group table will reflect reality a bit more after Sunday.

Ideally you'd want Germany to run away with it so our rivals aren't picking up bonus points. Unfortunately that hasn't been the case. But we have had the upper hand on head to heads so far.

I'm rooting for a demoralising 0-0 draw.

Well even if you do not wish to predict results I would still say that 18 points will get us at least 3rd. I do not think it is mathematically possible to have more than three teams finish with more than 18 points.

If four teams are on 10 points after sunday (the half way stage) then its obviously possible that the said four teams could all finish with more than 18 points.

Not saying it will happen but its not beyond possibility - (your own predictions have Poland and Ireland drawing both their games. If they win one each they will both have more than 18 points)

Their luck will run out eventually . . . .

You beat us last time out, so by definition our luck did run out.

The only good thing that might come from the Scotland defeat is hopefully O'Neill won't persist with the awful, negative Trapatoni 2.0 tactics. You're a decent team, but our approach to the match was so negative, we had shot ourselves in the foot from the off.

Think there is two ways of looking it at........... Poland win basically helps us get some space between us and Ireland, but means that we will struggle to finish higher than 3rd..... Ireland win and they peg back Poland for us, with 4 teams in the mix for 3 spots (and we still have to travel to Dublin and Tbilisi)

Draw is best result for us all round, but if I had to pick one team to win, probably would be Poland.

I think Ireland will get a 1-0 win in a really hard fought match.

One for the Banjaxed and the other (all very welcome :ok:) Irish lads on here - Do you think O'Neil will drop one or two players (Forde & Ward ?) from the first part of the campaign and partially rebuild his starting XI for the game against Poland ?

Another late ireland goal no doubt :banghead:

Their luck will run out eventually . . . .

Ah lads.........

The "another late goal" and "luck will run out eventually" comments.................sorry to see these been brought up again.

Pretty sure this was discussed to death in the " Scotland Vs Ireland" thread for the game in glasgow

At the moment I would say the most realistic position for us to finish in would be 3rd. I have run through possible/likely results scenario of games we, Poland and Ireland have left.

First of all Ireland:- I can see both of their matches V Poland ending in draws, the match against us being a draw, them winning against Georgia and Gibraltar and drawing at home to Germany.

Poland:- As I said I see both games V Ireland ending in draws, I see them beating Gibraltsr and Georgia, losing at Hampden against us and drawing against Germany.

As for us:- Two wins against Gibraltar, s draw in Dublin, a win at home to Poland, a draw in Georgia and a loss at home to Germany.

Those sets of results (I am presuming Germany will win the group - a bit prematue I know) would see the table finish like this:-

1st Germany

2nd Poland 19 points

3rd Scotland 18 points

4th Ireland 17 points

All speculation I know but certainly a plausible set of results.

Appreciate you said Speculation mate.............but Ireland beating poland and scotland and drawing with Germany in Dublin ,or Poland beating Ireland (home and away ) and beating Scotland in Glasgow is Plausible, or Scotland beating us in Dublin and Poland in Glasgow and drawing with Germany in Glasgow is plausible. There isnt a massive difference between the 3 of us.

Dont be wasting your time trying to guess the results..

I think Ireland will get a 1-0 win in a really hard fought match.

One for the Banjaxed and the other (all very welcome :ok:) Irish lads on here - Do you think O'Neil will drop one or two players (Forde & Ward ?) from the first part of the campaign and partially rebuild his starting XI for the game against Poland ?

Alright Mate

I wouldnt be surprised if Given starts ahead of Forde ....although i hope not. Forde hasnt let us done and deserves his place

Looks like Ward is struggling with an Injury....so i wouldnt be surprised to see Wilson take his place at left back

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Apologies Mate

I am relieved though...........dont think i could handle another 10 pages debating whether my country are lucky or not :wink2:

Well, dinae argue about it then. Just accept it and be grateful. We never get any luck but we have learned to live with that. :lol: