Ni Fans - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ni Fans

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, thought the folk of Belfast were brand new when I visited there (thought it was even better than Dublin)..... even the Northern Ireland Supporters Club bar, which at first glance was not my cup of tea, made us very welcome and had a cracking time in there.

Boy who does the Black Cab City tour (proper hard type knuckle dragger!) was brand new and recommended his tour to many folk.

You've gave me a laugh mate, thanks.

Firstly, 'sevconians' - cracking. Are you 12?

Secondly, 'scum of the earth' - really?

Lastly, I never saw any Rangers fans in the Scotland end, maybe apart from myself, however I had a tartan scarf and a black jacket on - I hope that's ok?

What we did have near us was 2 German men supporting Scotland which amused me briefly before I remembered how cold I was.

Speaking German doesn't make you German. :wave:

Cracking post mate.

People get wound up at an oppositon's fans singing a song? Really? People must live really sheltered lives if that upsets them.

What I found most bizarre was people booing NI fans doing the bouncy? It was'nt even the same 'version' of the Rangers equivalent.....

Thought the vast majority of the Scottish support done well by ignoring them last night.

But when you have bangers like the four guys infront of me shouting, "We are the 45", "f**k the Queen", "Go back and support the dead club..."

Nice one lads.....

Kind of undermined the point of your whole post there

Shows how daft it was of the SFA to agree to play them.

Unless we draw another British Isles team in a competitive game, we should never play of them again. Honestly, what did the SFA expect from last nights game, it was obvious that the bigots would be out.

The SFA wanted to play them, as far as I was aware, for the chance to boost our rankings. I am sure before the game was announced there was analysis done of the handful of potential opponents, which if we won, would give a decent jump to our rankings, and they were the easiest/most likely to get a game arranged against. We have moaned for long enough about either lack of friendlies or what appears to be no interest in our rankings when considering friendlies so we can't have it both ways. The fans of the side are an unfortunate sideshow but if last nights win sees us in pot 2 for WC 2018 draw then it was well worth it IMO,

Would you be bothered if they were singing racist songs and making monkey noises? If you would be, do you just consider sectarianism less bad?

You do realise the 2 songs ScotlandFanMuir mentioned were GSTQ and Rule Brittania, neither of which are remotely sectarian. The people who sing them may hold sectarian views but those songs aren't.

He did have a house in Glencoe and was a regular at Highland Games (dressed in kilt). Just saying :ph34r:.

He's one of our own... Knighted by the "Gracious Queen" that should be saved by God :shocked::wave:

Witnessed the "square go" outside the West stand as i left and both sides going for it so not exactly guys taking liberties. 2 of the guys involved got away and up towards the south side of lesser hampden before being caught. one old boy trying to get to them/get them free seems to be giving the police a hard time. Also seems to be scuffles amongst their own fans last night in the away end.

Sadly had some Clown in the West stand further along our row that thought it was funny trying to sing the sash and do "the bouncy". Really dont understand how with all the technology etc we have these days peoples mindsets are still set to 1690.

I never heard any sectarian songs within the ground last night, thought I'd added that point in but I didn't. We were in a pub in Rutherglen before the match which only contained 2 NI fans so never heard anything pre-match either.

It's the level of of 'offended' folk were reaching just by the NI fans singing GSTQ and Rule Brittania which was my point of the last post. It's like, really?

To answer your question, no - sectarianism isn't less bad' than racism.

so you never seen or heard trouble so it never happened haha! class

Kind of undermined the point of your whole post there

Didn't say anywhere in my post that I was annoyed by it. Just saying is it required?

Can't we go and watch Scotland and put aside petty differences for 90 minutes? I'm a Rangers fan and don't expect to hear pish related to my club in the Scotland end, surely not much to ask? (as I said, not annoyed by it, just bemused)

Same goes if it was ROI we were playing last night; I wouldn't expect to hear anti-celtic pish, or hear any anti-[insert Scottish club] for that matter.

Edited by rossh

I never heard any sectarian songs within the ground last night, thought I'd added that point in but I didn't. We were in a pub in Rutherglen before the match which only contained 2 NI fans so never heard anything pre-match either.

It's the level of of 'offended' folk were reaching just by the NI fans singing GSTQ and Rule Brittania which was my point of the last post. It's like, really?

To answer your question, no - sectarianism isn't less bad' than racism.

So if you did hear songs like The Billy Boys being sung that would be different?

Cracking post mate.

People get wound up at an oppositon's fans singing a song? Really? People must live really sheltered lives if that upsets them.

What I found most bizarre was people booing NI fans doing the bouncy? It was'nt even the same 'version' of the Rangers equivalent.....

Thought the vast majority of the Scottish support done well by ignoring them last night.

But when you have bangers like the four guys infront of me shouting, "We are the 45", "f**k the Queen", "Go back and support the dead club..."

Nice one lads.....

I didn't realise the bouncy was a Rangers thing. Shows what I know.

I didn't realise the bouncy was a Rangers thing. Shows what I know.

It's a Stirling Albion thing - stolen.

We were doing it aeons ago.

I remember a particular incident at Arbroath when, mid-bounce, we were instructed by the stewards that we were being "too rowdy".

We immediately adapted it to "We're gently swaying, gently swaying....."

The SFA wanted to play them, as far as I was aware, for the chance to boost our rankings. I am sure before the game was announced there was analysis done of the handful of potential opponents, which if we won, would give a decent jump to our rankings, and they were the easiest/most likely to get a game arranged against. We have moaned for long enough about either lack of friendlies or what appears to be no interest in our rankings when considering friendlies so we can't have it both ways. The fans of the side are an unfortunate sideshow but if last nights win sees us in pot 2 for WC 2018 draw then it was well worth it IMO,

Think you've got that one the wrong way around. I think playing NI was actually a friendly that damaged our ranking, even with a win (as the friendly against Qatar will be if it goes ahead). Sure someone like TartanPar will be able to confirm though.

You do realise the 2 songs ScotlandFanMuir mentioned were GSTQ and Rule Brittania, neither of which are remotely sectarian. The people who sing them may hold sectarian views but those songs aren't.

I know that. I don't think his ire is just at those who objected to those songs. He just doesn't "get" people being offended by what is sung at football matches. I took the most extreme example of unacceptable behaviour at football to demonstrate that there are some things that almost everyone would agree are beyond the pale and it really just depends on where you draw the line.

I said to my boy before the national anthems that he wouldn't ever hear me booing another country's anthem and neither should he, but that I thought I might be in a minority last night.

It's a Stirling Albion thing - stolen.

We were doing it aeons ago.

I remember a particular incident at Arbroath when, mid-bounce, we were instructed by the stewards that we were being "too rowdy".

We immediately adapted it to "We're gently swaying, gently swaying....."

Hooligans.

It's quite simple, if you don't like the oppositions chants...then drown them out by singing louder! Unfortunately Hampden park and for the matter the tartan army are no longer an intimidating place to go and play.

Like an earlier poster stated though, we have 'doe a deer' as our main chant...inspiring for the players I bet!

So glad I didn't go to this match and for that matter will be missing this weekends game as well going by all these posts.

It's quite simple, if you don't like the oppositions chants...then drown them out by singing louder! Unfortunately Hampden park and for the matter the tartan army are no longer an intimidating place to go and play.

Like an earlier poster stated though, we have 'doe a deer' as our main chant...inspiring for the players I bet!

So glad I didn't go to this match and for that matter will be missing this weekends game as well going by all these posts.

So, you won't be adding your voice to help drown out the opposition fans?

I'm actually looking forward t o Sunday and actually enjoyed last night more than I expected. Second half was ruined by so many subs being made but that was always going to be the case.