Scottish Players Summer Transfer Rumours - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players Summer Transfer Rumours

ProudScot

The only player who will keep Tony Watt out of the team will be Steven Fletcher.

Fletcher will be rejuvenated by his move to Sheffield Wednesday and I reckon he will have one of the best ever scoring seasons of his career - 8 or 9 Championship goals by April and maybe 2 more in the league cup to take him to 11 overall.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, brant grebner said:

The only player who will keep Tony Watt out of the team will be Steven Fletcher.

Fletcher will be rejuvenated by his move to Sheffield Wednesday and I reckon he will have one of the best ever scoring seasons of his career - 8 or 9 Championship goals by April and maybe 2 more in the league cup to take him to 11 overall.

Scored a nice one the other night,do friendlies count?:o

18 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

SSN are saying that Norwich have bid £10,000,000 for Ross McCormack.

Liam Bridcutt may be signing for Leeds permanently.

It's strange that no EPL clubs seem too interested in a player who can command such large transfer fees in the Championship.

Might not be good news for Naismith if he goes to Norwich, since they play in similar positions.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

It's strange that no EPL clubs seem too interested in a player who can command such large transfer fees in the Championship.

Not really.  He's a proven goal scorer in that division but a complete unknown quantity at the higher level  and therefore represents more of a risk.  Given that he's 30 in a couple of weeks, he's not one for the future either.  Therefore you'd be taking a chance on a player unproven in that division who would have no resale value. 

16 minutes ago, andyD said:

I'd have expected a Sunderland, Crystal Palace or Bournemouth to have shown interest in him. They've got enough money being in the premier league still, and aren't blessed with quality options up front.

Maybe that just shows he isn't good enough for the EPL.

Craig Bryson, Barry Bannan etc - Players who looks good in the championship but then out their depth at EPL or international level.

Can almost hear the Barry Bannan defenders frantically typing from here.....

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I'm not sure what he's lacking that would make someone think he can't do it at that level tho. He's not the quickest, but the rest of his game is pretty solid. Who knows. maybe Moyes will take a look given he has i think 1 striker on his books.

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

Might not be good news for Naismith if he goes to Norwich, since they play in similar positions.

I think Naismith is in serious decline now anyway. In the last twelve months he's looked really poor at club and international level. It's time Norwich looked for a replacement and Strachan should be doing the same.

1 minute ago, andyD said:

Has Naismith not been scoring in pre-season? Pretty sure I saw his name go by the other day.

Naismith's plenty good enough to let Norwich make a serious promotion challenge this season.

What do goals in laid back pre-season friendly matches prove though ? I remember Chris Killin (remember him ? The Kiwi Kevin Kyle) going on a goal scoring spree during a Celtic pre-season once.

they don't mean anything in particular, but they are an indication of how ap layer is doing.

for example, fletcher scoring 2 and getting 2 assists recently for sheffield wednesday has been seen on here as a good sign that he's made a decent choice with that move, that he seems to fit into the team well and will likely be an important part of what was a successful team last season and that will probably repeat that this season.

On paper, Norwich are a strong team in the Championship and should be up there with Wednesday (and Newcastle, Derby, Brighton, Villa) so why Naismith's performance in pre-season should be frowned upon or dismissed seems like a double standard. His time at Norwich seems to have been well looked on by their fans so far, tho it's always hard coming into a team that is already in a relegation scrap.

For both players, the proof will be once the serious games get underway, but I don't see a reason to discard Naismith yet. He wouldn't be in the starting 11 for us right now if i were picking the team, but he's obviously a decent player who works hard and hopefully will get some confidence back by finding the back of the net this season, just as Fletcher will.

On 27 July 2016 at 1:20 PM, aaid said:

Not really.  He's a proven goal scorer in that division but a complete unknown quantity at the higher level  and therefore represents more of a risk.  Given that he's 30 in a couple of weeks, he's not one for the future either.  Therefore you'd be taking a chance on a player unproven in that division who would have no resale value.

That same logic applies to Championship teams though.  He is obviously attractive to Championship sides because he has a track record of scoring goals in that division, and ambitious Championship teams will hope those goals will get them promoted.  It seems unlikely that a Championship club would be prepared to spend that amount of money on a player just to help keep their heads above water or to jettison him as soon as they are promoted; like you say, he's nearly 30 so the chances of recouping any large transfer fee is diminishing rapidly.

I know the transfer market in England is overheated but there can't be that big a gulf in standard between the Championship and the bottom half of the EPL.

On 27 July 2016 at 3:52 PM, ProudScot said:

Craig Bryson, Barry Bannan etc - Players who looks good in the championship but then out their depth at EPL or international level.

Can almost hear the Barry Bannan defenders frantically typing from here.....

aye, frantic numerous responses. Maybe they just saw the irony of you suggesting someone else was out their depth.......

4 hours ago, TartanDave said:

West Ham with a 7 million bid for Robertson rejected. Don't tlookinghe'd get a game over Cresswell  personally. Hull fans on twitter want the fee trebled

Cresswell has got injured and is out for a few months , i presume this is why West Ham are looking at Robertson 

12 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Cresswell has got injured and is out for a few months , i presume this is why West Ham are looking at Robertson 

I see, still think Cresswell is a better player. Not sure Robertson would get a look in when both fit. I rate Cresswell as one of the best left backs in that league.