Scottish Players Summer Transfer Rumours - Page 29 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players Summer Transfer Rumours

ProudScot

5 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Good move.

We need Rhodes playing. Griffiths and Rhodes is a partnership that would work and both a good age too.

Will Strachan ever pick Rhodes though? Hmmm.

His chances are playing are slim at the best of times so he needs to get regular minutes & goals at club level to have any chance.

I agree Griffiths and Rhodes would work but you get the feeling there is more chance of Strachan playing himself up front than Rhodes.

I am a firm believer if he got the chances that S. Fletcher has Rhodes would be sitting with at least twice as much goals as Fletcher and our chances of being in France for the euros would have increased as well.

Its all ifs and buts though...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Good move.

We need Rhodes playing. Griffiths and Rhodes is a partnership that would work and both a good age too.

I think if Rhodes gets into the boro team and scores goals in the premier league then yes.
If he is a bench player or not in his clubs squad, as has been the case so far, then no.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

I think if Rhodes gets into the boro team and scores goals in the premier league then yes.
If he is a bench player or not in his clubs squad, as has been the case so far, then no.

And if he's in a Championship club's starting XI and scoring then - on past evidence - no also.

The only win (internationally speaking) for Rhodes is to either break into the Boro team or get a move to a WBA or the like who will play him at that level.

Don't know why the likes of WBA, Hull etc haven't popped a bid in. All the links seem to be exclusively with Championship clubs.

4 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Don't know why the likes of WBA, Hull etc haven't popped a bid in. All the links seem to be exclusively with Championship clubs.

Because as with McCormack, he's in the invidious position of being an established Championship striker but completely unproven in the Premier League and at International level.  This means he's basically overpriced and would represent a risk and poor value for a Premiership team.  This probably means that he could command a fee of around £10million to a championship club but a premier league team wouldn't see him as being worth that.   If he were to stay at Middlesborough, play regularly and score maybe 10 goals then that would see him established as a "Premiership" player and would be of interest to other clubs.

A very good parallel would be Stephen Fletcher who was promoted with Burnley and did relatively well although they were relegated.  That basically led to him getting a move to newly promoted Wolves and then to Sunderland.   If Burnley had never been promoted that season, Fletcher would never have been transferred to a premier league team.

6 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Maybe people just have to accept that the collective thinking of, say 40+, Premiership managers in the last few seasons is correct and that Rhodes isn't good enough for the Premier League in England. These clubs have scouts, decent managers, analytics tools coming out of their ears, sports science that probably wasn't invented 5 years ago, you have had clubs in trouble in January and desperate for players to help them stay in the BPL and in need of a goalscorer (Newcastle last season a prime example)........and yet not one team or manager has taken a gamble on Rhodes. In short this collective of managers is in a better position to judge a player than we are. Is it possible that every single one of them is wrong?

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Maybe people just have to accept that the collective thinking of, say 40+, Premiership managers in the last few seasons is correct and that Rhodes isn't good enough for the Premier League in England. These clubs have scouts, decent managers, analytics tools coming out of their ears, sports science that probably wasn't invented 5 years ago, you have had clubs in trouble in January and desperate for players to help them stay in the BPL and in need of a goalscorer (Newcastle last season a prime example)........and yet not one team or manager has taken a gamble on Rhodes. In short this collective of managers is in a better position to judge a player than we are. Is it possible that every single one of them is wrong?

It seems to be a 'thing' with Championship strikers, not just with Rhodes. Kind of touches on what aaid said. Most strikers like Lambert, Vardy, Ings, Austin etc all had to play their way to the EPL via promotion. None were bought into that league.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

Because as with McCormack, he's in the invidious position of being an established Championship striker but completely unproven in the Premier League and at International level.  This means he's basically overpriced and would represent a risk and poor value for a Premiership team.  This probably means that he could command a fee of around £10million to a championship club but a premier league team wouldn't see him as being worth that.   If he were to stay at Middlesborough, play regularly and score maybe 10 goals then that would see him established as a "Premiership" player and would be of interest to other clubs.

A very good parallel would be Stephen Fletcher who was promoted with Burnley and did relatively well although they were relegated.  That basically led to him getting a move to newly promoted Wolves and then to Sunderland.   If Burnley had never been promoted that season, Fletcher would never have been transferred to a premier league team.

Fletcher moved to Burnley in the late summer after they had secured promotion. Sound theory on the rest of it though.

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I can't see why he would. Good lad and poacher but reminds me of Boyd. Not going to work, hold the ball up and bring others into play the way Fletcher does. I think Rhodes wouldn't score any more than Fletcher but Fletcher will set up more and work harder for the team. At home to the Crap like Malta, Lithuania and England ? I'd say maybe and play 2 up front the way Eck did in the home games in 2007.

6 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

I can't see why he would. Good lad and poacher but reminds me of Boyd. Not going to work, hold the ball up and bring others into play the way Fletcher does. I think Rhodes wouldn't score any more than Fletcher but Fletcher will set up more and work harder for the team. At home to the Crap like Malta, Lithuania and England ? I'd say maybe and play 2 up front the way Eck did in the home games in 2007.

Rhodes is miles better than Boyd. Look at how he's rated by Boro fans, who laud him for his work rate and link up play. He's not the most technically gifted, but he works hard. Boyd was basically a goal hanger.

Edited by Rude Gullit

12 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Rhodes is miles better than Boyd. Look at how he's rated by Boro fans, who laud him for his work rate and link up play. He's not the most technically gifted, but he works hard. Boyd was basically a goal hanger.

Really? I only know a couple of Boro fans and they don't know why they bought him. Not good enough to get a game and will be sold at a massive loss before next week. Unfortunately a typically Scottish story. 

14 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

Really? I only know a couple of Boro fans and they don't know why they bought him. Not good enough to get a game and will be sold at a massive loss before next week. Unfortunately a typically Scottish story. 

Most on the Boro boards seemed to be expecting the archetypal moocher, but have been pleasantly surprised to find that there's much more to his game. Don't think many would say he's in Negredo's class, that said.

6 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

You sound like another Sky Sports ejaculator. 

Jack Ruddy (18 year old keeper who went out Spain when his folks moved there and signed Real Murcia, but returned to UK to sign for Bury) is on the verge of signing for Wolves, but Man United also sniffing around apparently.

5 hours ago, wanderer said:

SSN saying Hearts have rejected a 2nd bid from Wigan for Callum Paterson that was a improvement on their bid last week for him.

The first bid was less than the development fee we would get for him if he leaves when his contact is up at the end of the season

apparently the second bid is £700k

16 hours ago, hannibal smith said:

The first bid was less than the development fee we would get for him if he leaves when his contact is up at the end of the season

apparently the second bid is £700k

Yeah, reading this morning that Hearts are guaranteed £350k for him regardless of getting a fee for him or not before his contract expires and want something closer to £1m for him.

10 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yeah, reading this morning that Hearts are guaranteed £350k for him regardless of getting a fee for him or not before his contract expires and want something closer to £1m for him.

Celtic could use a good right back - £1million a bargain for Paterson

Edited by ProudScot

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Good for Hearts, shame none of the EPL teams are interested, with the silly money sloshing around there the club could get at least double that amount.  From a Scotland point of view if he does go and I think I'd prefer him staying at Hearts then I hope he finds a decent club - Wigan could be that, Caldwell has had a very promising start to his managerial career. 

1 hour ago, bossman4 said:

Talksport and BBC saying Spurs lead the way for Oliver Burke, £10 million being mentioned.

Unless he's going to do a Delle Alli and come to a Prem team and make an instant impact, would rather see him play a full season before a move