Scottish Players Summer Transfer Rumours - Page 53 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players Summer Transfer Rumours

ProudScot

49 minutes ago, Rab The Crab said:

Och I know, instead we can just concentrate on all the Scots who are currently regulars in the Bundesliga.

I like the look of McHeinz and that laddie McMuller has something about him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, aaid said:

And has taken a step backwards and dropped down a level to do it.   That's the bottom line. 

If he is playing full games in the premiership rather than playing 5 or 10 mins here or there then thats not a backwards step.

I wouldn't even count the Premier League a backwards step to the Bundesliga IMHO the strength and depth throughout the league is better in england than germany  

On 8/25/2017 at 10:46 AM, er yir macaroon said:

Disappointed about Burke, but if he gets a game every week at what is a crucial age, it might not be such a bad thing. Also West Brom will be closer in style and ability to Scotland than Leipzig.

Bloody better than getting mega splinters in his arse at Leipzig. He'll more readily be used at a team striving for results and form than one that qualified for the Champions League and is settled. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Bloody better than getting mega splinters in his arse at Leipzig. He'll more readily be used at a team striving for results and form than one that qualified for the Champions League and is settled. 

Good move for the lad in premier league..

Needs to sort out his positional play though

1 hour ago, Rab The Crab said:

To play alongside or to replace Martin I wonder?

Not sure it matters. His not-particularly-high level has been found.

Need to start looking at Cooper, Souttar, Lindsay etc 

When was the last time a centre half was given a debut for Scotland? Mulgrew, Martin, Greer, Reynolds etc aren't getting any younger or any better.

and we know what Hanley is capable of...

3 minutes ago, norsefox said:

When was the last time a centre half was given a debut for Scotland? Mulgrew, Martin, Greer, Reynolds etc aren't getting any younger or any better.

Absolutely agree with trying the younger lads. They Cant be any worse than what we have and at least they get experience and start geling together.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Absolutely agree with trying the younger lads. They Cant be any worse than what we have and at least they get experience and start geling together.

I'm not sure I'd include Cooper as a younger lad I think he's about the same age as Hanley if not older.  I still think there's a half decent player in Hanley, he had a couple of decent seasons in the EPL and always looked reliable, maybe that will come back with a run of games.

1 hour ago, norsefox said:

Cooper plays at same said "not particularly high level."

Hanley is however a horrible defender.

3 hours ago, norsefox said:

Someone can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but was the last centre halves given a debut back in 2010 versus The Faroe Islands?

I've just gone through every friendly in the last seven years and it's the same names in every game.  I can't think of anyone being given a debut in a competitive match at CB.

Danny Wilson and Gary Kenneth both got their first caps in that match.  We've had a lot of different full backs, but almost no variation at the CB.

Absolutely mental that no one else has been given a shot in that time - even against Canada, Qatar, Gibraltar etc...

EDIT: Apparently Russel Martin and Hanley's first games were in 2011 v Wales - not that that is a significant improvement

Edited by norsefox

To be fair, it's hard to think of many Scottish centre backs that deserved to make their debut in that time... I doubt whether more than half the posters have seen Cooper play, and Souttar and Lindsay are only just getting to the experience/age where they could be considered.

That said, I do think that Steven Anderson is worth a shout. Despite his age, if we were to drop any points in the next week, I'd have him in for the Slov games.

7 hours ago, norsefox said:

Someone can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but was the last centre halves given a debut back in 2010 versus The Faroe Islands?

I've just gone through every friendly in the last seven years and it's the same names in every game.  I can't think of anyone being given a debut in a competitive match at CB.

Danny Wilson and Gary Kenneth both got their first caps in that match.  We've had a lot of different full backs, but almost no variation at the CB.

Absolutely mental that no one else has been given a shot in that time - even against Canada, Qatar, Gibraltar etc...

EDIT: Apparently Russel Martin and Hanley's first games were in 2011 v Wales - not that that is a significant improvement

Gary Kenneth's debut was August 2010 against Zlatan Ibrahimovic & co in Stockholm.

It took Zlatan all of 4 minutes to score....................

8 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Anyone that thinks Cooper is better the Hanley needs to think about why they waste money watching football. 

arent you the guy who kept babbling on about Ross Wallace deserving a call up?

:lol:

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

arent you the guy who kept babbling on about Ross Wallace deserving a call up?

:lol:

In 2009/10, yes. He did deserve a call-up. Certainly ahead of Commons who was playing LM for us at the time. 

Funny thing is Wallace would still walk into every team in Scotland other than Celtic. 

15 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Anyone that thinks Cooper is better the Hanley needs to think about why they waste money watching football. 

Strange comparison. I've not seen much of Cooper playing, but the fact that he can also play at left-back tells you he's more like Russel Martin than Hanley.

Hanley is an old-school defender who's good in the air and likes to throw himself into tackles.

If Cooper is better in the air than Russell Martin, then he's probably good enough to be in the squad.

21 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm not sure I'd include Cooper as a younger lad I think he's about the same age as Hanley if not older.  I still think there's a half decent player in Hanley, he had a couple of decent seasons in the EPL and always looked reliable, maybe that will come back with a run of games.

Hanley is no world beater, but if he plays 90 minutes every week, he's one of our better options. If he's not at it, he's s puddin'.

6 hours ago, davew said:

Strange comparison. I've not seen much of Cooper playing, but the fact that he can also play at left-back tells you he's more like Russel Martin than Hanley.

Hanley is an old-school defender who's good in the air and likes to throw himself into tackles.

If Cooper is better in the air than Russell Martin, then he's probably good enough to be in the squad.

Good in the air? Perhaps at winning a ball no one else is competing for.

how many headers have we conceded this campaign? Remember his free header against England??

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Main problem with our CB's is that they are all left-footed so we get an imbalance. Read with dismay that Liam Lindsay is another. Hanley is right footed but plays on the left. Russell Martin is the only RF I think. What foot does Harry Souttar kick with so to speak?

Hanley probably only plays left to accommodate Martin. He would play right with Berra or Mulgrew.