Shanghai - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Things I bought - Cashmere scarves £5, Michael Kors leather handbag -£19, Tag and Omega kinetic watches £30 each.

You've changed Chris, i mind we used to spend all our money on dairylea dunkers and pints in the Todd.

Good stuff Broono. Wanted to get the Maglev just to say we'd been on the thing but you reckon just taxis when we're in town then? The Mrs is five months pregnant so she can enjoy the views from the rooftop bars while I get pished.

I was going to say to get the MagLev for a one off. Its only a 5er but is effectively a white elephant as there are only 2 stations; the airport and Pudong. So most people need a lengthy taxi once they get to Pudong anyway! Just watch out for scam taxis at the Pudong MagLev.

Another thing, download "Hola" internet app for your phone before you go. Lets you go on the net and apps as if from UK or USA so you can get on Facebook and Twitter to criticise the Chinese government. Also if you want to use bet365 while there you'll need it.

You've changed Chris, i mind we used to spend all our money on dairylea dunkers and pints in the Todd.

I know! Changed days though, is the Todd still open? A very happy memory for me there was 2 weeks before loan day and couldn't afford a night out, dropped the jackpot in the puggy and off to TFI we went. Apparently we had labs on a Friday, who knew!?

I know! Changed days though, is the Todd still open? A very happy memory for me there was 2 weeks before loan day and couldn't afford a night out, dropped the jackpot in the puggy and off to TFI we went. Apparently we had labs on a Friday, who knew!?

Don't know i hope so. It was open last year as someone mentioned they were there. My best memory is watching Sheep handing off presents in pass the parcel like a world class scrum half after he had been tackled. I mind when we went to the Scotland B team vs ireland (kevin kyle with an oil tankers turning ability) i was rooked but managed to play that general knowledge wild west game and won enough for a few pints.

The only good thing about labs was the Russian profs giving an impromptu 2 hour lecture on eric the red :-)):ok:

Cloud 9, the bar in the Hyatt at the top (88th floor) of the Jin Mao tower gives spectacular views.

If travelling by taxi without a local, make sure you have the address of where you want to go written in Chinese. Also get a business/address card of your hotel when checking in.

I take it the water isn't safe to drink?

I'll have to visit >

20090806kfc01.jpg

wash it down with some

JohnsDaphne_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg?img

or maybe some

C_2_foto_226522_image.jpg

I've been living in China for the last eight months. I'd recommend it for a year. The heat is a bit unbearable at times in Shanghai in the summer. You leave your flat and are dripping in sweat a minute later. The water is definitely not okay to drink. The food's superb. I eat the street food every other day and am yet to have food poisoning. I live in Beijing and the language barrier's a problem but it seemed to be less of a problem in Shanghai. Dead easy to get the train away for the weekend to cities you've never heard of that are twice the size of London.

A live update to our trip so far, and a few tips for anyone interested. We managed to wander between planes in the 90 minutes we had at T5 on the way out but our bags didn't, cheers BA, a day without our luggage. We got the Maglev in just to say we'd been on it. It's quick but drops you off nowhere near where you want to be. Despite Broono's advice, we were jet lagged, tired and angry about lost luggage when we got off the MagLev and jumped into a red taxi without thinking. Broono was correct, we got ripped off! Took an hour in rush hour traffic to reach our hotel and despite a meter running, when we got near he pressed a few buttons and hey presto, the price doubled. Stung us for about £10 on top of the fare. Argued a bit,called him some names and payed him. Although the Mrs pointed out that as we were standing outside the cab with our hand luggage and nothing in the boot, we could just have told him to get tae and walked away. She had a point. Not harm done really.

We haven't used a proper cab yet as we're on the Pudong side of the river next to a metro station and the traffic is mental, so metro it is. It's quick, the signs and announcements are in English too, and it is dirt cheap. 30-40p each one way into town,about six or seven stops.

China is still very much a smoking culture, every bar,hotel,shop,restaurant etc absolutely reeks. It reinforces that the smoking ban at home is the way forward.

A real nasty habit that both men and women have in Shanghai is spitting. Just no need for everyone to be snorting up big greeners onto the pavement.

The skyline looking over from the Bund back to Pudong is absolutely stunning, one of the most spectacular in the world, and best appreciated at night.

There are a couple of nice temples to visit. There are several observation decks in the big Pudong skyscrapers, one of them is worth a look on a nice day. We went up the one in the Jin Mao tower.

The open top tour busses are gash and not really worth the money. The commentary is a bit thin on the ground.

The street food looks great but the Mrs is five months gone and is paranoid about food poisoning so we've been eating in restaurants.

We're kind of glad we've visited but won't be in any hurry to visit again. We much preferred Hong Kong,Tokyo and Kyoto as Asian city breaks. If you are coming out here, two or three days and you'll see everything Shanghai has to offer, combine it with somewhere else in China or further afield in Asia.

The Hola VPN app doesn't seem to work, don't know whether it's me being computer illiterate or the Chinese have blocked it. Either way, five days without Facebook and Twitter is no bad thing really.

Apologies to the OP who I think was enquiring about Shanghai living rather than to visit.