Don't Come Home Too Soon - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Don't Come Home Too Soon

Stuart87

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2T68AXsUAEI

I've listened to this song a few times recently and as I was only 10 at France 98, it got me wondering what kind of reception this song got when it came out.

Also interested in other fans views of this song. I know people say it's a bit negative but I think it's a great football song yet I hardly ever hear it played at Hampden or away games. Listening to this gets me excited about what the buildup to France 2016 would be like should we qualify.

It was a lukewarm reception at best..... there was no real out and out hate towards it, just it was not a football chant that could be belted out by the fans.

I also think the meaning of the song was lost on a number of people as folk felt it was somewhat defeatist.

Its a song that has actually grown on me over the years. Its not a football song, but in terms of a actual song, its a lasting memory of a period of great music (Britpop).

Sure there is also a interview where Jarvis Cocker said it was one of his top 5 Britpop-era songs.

Edited by wanderer

It's a good song by a great band :ok:

Is it not one of their highest charting songs?

At the time Del Amitri had been somewhat of a odd choice...... they had been about for almost forever, and had some good songs, yet never seemed to make a dent in the charts (and this was when music was actually good!).

Rumors at the times were Travis were the front runners to do the song, but they had only just started making a name for themselves and were not seen as high profile enough, and all the reports from England were Oasis was going to do their song (but was nothing more than just press speculation) and Del Amitri seemed a more household name to go for.

"Don't Come Home Too Soon" - It is kinda like saying, ayyyye we know your gonna come home at the group stages, just try not to lose the first 2 games and at least take it to the 3rd. Pfft.

As opposed to losing the first two and not playing a third match you mean?

Is it not one of their highest charting songs?

At the time Del Amitri had been somewhat of a odd choice...... they had been about for almost forever, and had some good songs, yet never seemed to make a dent in the charts (and this was when music was actually good!).

Rumors at the times were Travis were the front runners to do the song, but they had only just started making a name for themselves and were not seen as high profile enough, and all the reports from England were Oasis was going to do their song (but was nothing more than just press speculation) and Del Amitri seemed a more household name to go for.

They had a top ten hit in America with one of their worst songs. Don't Come Home Too Soon was dreary but the rousing World Cup songs are ing awful so it was a bit of a no win.

he must have been taking the piss surely.

Not sure. It was one of the two resident Man City fans on TAMB who was telling me, who is seriously into Pulp (ie Type of fan who hunts down EP's from 1992 of a limited to 100 prints of a single)

They had a top ten hit in America with one of their worst songs. Don't Come Home Too Soon was dreary but the rousing World Cup songs are ing awful so it was a bit of a no win.

I knew of a couple of songs, but that song was seriously bad, and all the worst that it never seemed to be off the radio or the video was on constant loop on MTV at the time.

It was a lukewarm reception at best..... there was no real out and out hate towards it, just it was not a football chant that could be belted out by the fans.

I also think the meaning of the song was lost on a number of people as folk felt it was somewhat defeatist.

Its a song that has actually grown on me over the years. Its not a football song, but in terms of a actual song, its a lasting memory of a period of great music (Britpop).

Sure there is also a interview where Jarvis Cocker said it was one of his top 5 Britpop-era songs.

I like it, its got a Scottish humour to it. No a bad song and a decent band.

The video was embarrassing, they tried a comparison to the Brazil Nike advert at Rio airport but Colin Hendry kicking the ball off a wall at Prestwick didn't quite have the same appeal.

Awful song.

Pish was completely ripped down here as a 17 year old.

Didn't help that the superb "3 Lions" had a reboot for the WC 98, and was just as popular.

It still grates to this day that it was such a good song and translated effortlessly into the terraces.

I wish somebody had have told a 17 year old me that by the time you get to 35, you still wouldn't have seen Scotland at a major tournament, I would have made much more of an effort to go.

J

I suspect those who hate it probably do so because they would prefer an out-and-out cheesy 'football song'.
Football songs tend to be...... Daft!

I think those who like it do so because they can separate it from the football and judge the song on its own merits.
It's probably the most serious football song I've ever heard.
Or to put it another way; the most un-football, football song I've ever heard.

I quite liked it and base that opinion purely on the song and not any reference to football.

I tend to think when football meets music, it's usually naff.

Didn't help that the superb "3 Lions" had a reboot for the WC 98, and was just as popular.

That is the problem..... Euro 96 and "3 Lions" was a proper good football song that ticked all the right boxes and not be classified as "cheesy"......

Even though its England through and through, I think a number of people would say it's somewhat of a "guilty pleasure".

Lightning Seeds are one of my top 3 bands from the 90's, and being a fan of them its hard not to come into contact with the song (given its bound to appear on a "very best" album.... it even was part of their set list for a short time, but thankfully they knew better than to play it up here).

We have never had anything that has come remotely close (We Have a Dream maybe at the most)

Edited by wanderer

Purple Heather..... was just effectively the squad adding backing vocals to a Rod Stewart track from a album he did in the late 80's, rather than a brand new specific song.

Purple heathers a great song but don't think I've heard the version.

It's a brilliant song. Everyone just lazily focuses on the title and say it's negative. What about.....

"The world might not be shaking yet, but pretty soon you'll see, even long shots make it" or

"You might not believe it yet, but pretty soon you'll see, even long shots make it".

It's a brilliant song. Everyone just lazily focuses on the title and say it's negative. What about.....

"The world might not be shaking yet, but pretty soon you'll see, even long shots make it" or

"You might not believe it yet, but pretty soon you'll see, even long shots make it".

Or something like that...

you missed out "You won't be on that stupid plane" poetry at its finest. just watched the video, no wonder we never got out that group hendry, calderwood and durie look like half cut 50 year olds kicking a ball about smashing glasses in a pub car park