Game Of Thrones - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a load off shite

I enjoyed the first series but after Sean Bean was taken out the second series was pish. I gave up half way through that series. Her indoors watches it solid still. But then most over here are obsessed with fantasy crap. I think they really believe that Europe is like that. Castles, swords, tarts and hunks. Stupid c,unts.

I actually quite enjoy it, but seen all episodes to date so not new to it.

It's not the new ones it's an earlier one. I've never really been a fan off all that fantasy pish though.

Much prefer a Rab C or Still Game box set or a Berlin Wall/WWII documentary if I'm feeling clever

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Never been a fan of all that Scottish class obsessed comedy pish.

Agreed. For me Rab C is one of the worst things produced for Scottish TV in a very long time. Although that might be in part down to my overwhelming urge to hurl expletives at the screen every time Elaine C Smith's smug coupon makes an appearance!

Hard to give anything a real critique after one or two episodes. I watched a couple of episodes of Rab C years ago and thought it was the biggest pile of horsesh1t I'd ever had the misfortune to have come across. I wasn't really sure about Game of Thrones to start with and I'm certainly not into "Fantasy p1sh" either. However, the more you watch it the more you realise there's quite a lot to it. It's more political than I would have imagined. A medieval West Wing....(with b00bs) if you will. I like it - suggest you give it a proper chance (and no, the quid pro quo is not me watching Rab C - that just isn't happening).

Considering the whole game of thrones is set about the skeleton of the war of the roses, and apart from 3 dragons which don't appear till the end of the first series, it's hardly a massive fantasy setting. It's basically a war of the roses period drama with one character who is on another continent who just happens to have 3 dragons. Plus the others of course, but they don't turn up till book 3 , and the prologue of the first book i guess.

It's hardly middle earth or Azeroth.

Considering the whole game of thrones is set about the skeleton of the war of the roses, and apart from 3 dragons which don't appear till the end of the first series, it's hardly a massive fantasy setting. It's basically a war of the roses period drama with one character who is on another continent who just happens to have 3 dragons. Plus the others of course, but they don't turn up till book 3 , and the prologue of the first book i guess.

Throw in the White Walkers and Melisandre and it becomes a bit more Fantasy. Oh, and the giants.

Throw in the White Walkers and Melisandre and it becomes a bit more Fantasy. Oh, and the giants.

"the others" are the whitewalkers, they've taken out the "Warg" storyline as well. Sure some giants a couple of dragons and some mysticism. However the story is the war of the roses pretty much, the point wasn;t it had no fantasy in it, the point was it was basically a period drama set around the war of the roses with dragons and others are the periphery both plot-wise and geographically.

As opposed to say a wizard coming looking for a magic ring that turns you invisible while 9 wraiths on magic horses look for it.

"the others" are the whitewalkers, they've taken out the "Warg" storyline as well. Sure some giants a couple of dragons and some mysticism. However the story is the war of the roses pretty much, the point wasn;t it had no fantasy in it, the point was it was basically a period drama set around the war of the roses with dragons and others are the periphery both plot-wise and geographically.

As opposed to say a wizard coming looking for a magic ring that turns you invisible while 9 wraiths on magic horses look for it.

I somehow get the feeling you are possibly comparing GOT to the war of the roses? Am I right?

Well it's more a fact than a comparison, Martin has spoken about it loads of times, the original story didn't even have dragons in it. The first edition foreword was thanking a friend for persuading him to put Dragons in it.

Scott Bakker Prince of nothing triology is based on the first holy crusade.