Gordon Brown's Plan - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon Brown's Plan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me for I don't know the details but rather I've hear second-hand that
a) Gordon Brown has proposed a something and
B) George Osbourne has proposed a something-else - both trying to stem the flood of voters turning to Yes.
How does this work when some people (postal voters) have already voted?

Brown - one of the architects of this financial austerity tits up shambles - fronts up to tell us how we'll all be better off together.

As McDange says under what authority is this (for hire) after dinner speaker and former PM dud offering anything - as far as I was aware the establishment were getting their knickers wet over offering the devo max option on the ballot - now lo and behold it is being dangled back at us again.

The smell of desperation from BT is now turning into an indescribable stench.

Just saw Douglas Alexander on TV endorsing the Brown initiative. So is it official Labour policy, or BT policy? Where is Miliband, Darling, Cameron?

Whose 'powers' are these - the Labour ones? When will English backbenchers get the chance to vote them down? After the 2015 General Election?

Edited by exile

Forgive me for I don't know the details but rather I've hear second-hand that

a) Gordon Brown has proposed a something and

B) George Osbourne has proposed a something-else - both trying to stem the flood of voters turning to Yes.

How does this work when some people (postal voters) have already voted?

Neither of them are proposing anything new. So, no new powers, just the new responsibilities already proposed which actually means less money and therefore actually less power. GB has just made up some sort of timetable for us to get this extra responsibility with less money. So nothing new really.

Looks like their plan is to dress up the already published plans as real devo powers. Its basically a relaunch of what they did 6 weeks ago. they will bang on this to try and hoodwink a couple of % points of voters into thinking we are getting devo max when in reality it is extremely watered down powers.

It also means Westminster would have to ratify the powers and it would not be enacted till after the next election. With the UKIP pressure on a potential Tory minority gov, there would be a snowball in hells chance of that happening.

How can this one sided pish be countered and blown apart for exactly what it is?

Just keep telling everybody you know, who are prepared to listen, about how biased the BBC are. Have a few examples ready to give them. Folk are not daft, more and more of them are seeing through the BBC propaganda. We just need to keep on pointing out the BBC lies and scaremongering tactics. They seem to have gone into overdrive last night. I hope they keep this up until next Thursday. I have no doubt that the more blatant they get the more the last few remaining undecided folk will move to YES.

Far too late with these plans that will most probably not go through. Had Bitter Together come up with sufficient plans that back up that we'll be "better together" going forward rather than the scare-mongering tactics, they probably would've got the votes they wanted. Desperation now!

How can this one sided pish be countered and blown apart for exactly what it is?

Pretty easily. And the response should turn even more people to YES.

It all comes down to how these new powers are funded.

YES = revenue from natural resources + exisiting personal taxation.

NO = increased personal taxation (where does the oil revenue go do you reckon?).

Nobody likes paying taxes. NO think that they are being very clever here. If Scots want more powers, then let them personally pay for them (that should turn the Scottish electorate away from wanting expensive new powers they think).

However, these "new powers" can be paid for in another way. And Westminster won't like it.