Fatherhood - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

OK folks due to be a first time dad any day now (he was due yesterday) so the question is what tips do you all have, best piece of advice you were given.

Already been told by several people "don't look down" so anything apart from that will be welcome

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although the reasons change over time, they never stop keeping you awake at night.

It will fly past quicker than you'd ever imagine so just make the most of it even when the going gets tough. They have to be allowed to be themselves & learn to find their own way in life. That can be tough so don't let interfering wives/relatives try to influence who he supports.

I was at the birth of both my kids & am forever glad I was. Good luck :ok:

Guide, don't push. Influence, don't boss. But above all enjoy every second because they will change so quickly and you'll never get back the days and times that have passed and cherish every memory - often the littlest memories will make you smile the biggest.

Folk will tell you all sorts of shite about how hard labour is, sleepless nights, the terrible twos, etc etc. Heard no end of negative stuff.

Ignore those c.unts. It's brilliant, absolutely the number one thing that will ever happen to you.

Savour every moment with him, it's all magical :)

My advice is don't listen to people's advice. You'll be fine making your own way through, listen to your own instinct. Too many parents offer their words of wisdom only for you to find out they didn't have a clue in the first place.

That said I hope you enjoy every moment of it, being a parent is the greatest gift going, and that includes the 3 o clock in the morning cuddles when it's just you and your little son/daughter. Special times.

All the best!

Folk will tell you all sorts of shite about how hard labour is, sleepless nights, the terrible twos, etc etc. Heard no end of negative stuff.

Ignore those c.unts. It's brilliant, absolutely the number one thing that will ever happen to you.

Seconded, the amount of negative sh1t really effed me off in the end. Which is how I got to the ignore all advice mentality. Think on the bright side and go for it!

:ok::ok::ok:

The first poo is like tar.

Don't worry if you have never changed a nappy before, most blokes haven't. My first was my eldests tar poo nappy. A steep learning curve.

Dummies work for us. We held off for a number of weeks as we didn't like them. But by a few months into it we tried him and they were great.

Try the gas and air, it's pretty trippy. Like being instantly pissed, then sober within 30 seconds.

J

Although the reasons change over time, they never stop keeping you awake at night.

It will fly past quicker than you'd ever imagine so just make the most of it even when the going gets tough. They have to be allowed to be themselves & learn to find their own way in life. That can be tough so don't let interfering wives/relatives try to influence who he supports.

I was at the birth of both my kids & am forever glad I was. Good luck :ok:

Aye na chance of that happening Mrs is a man u and England fan but my boy will be raised being a Killie and Scotland fan lol

start saving...if you think it cost a lot when they are a baby wait till they become teenagers....

Oh! and don't forget -- http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_football.cfm?page=3795

Already promised my dad that he can buy him his first Scotland strip

Don't worry if you have never changed a nappy before, most blokes haven't. My first was my eldests tar poo nappy. A steep learning curve.

Dummies work for us. We held off for a number of weeks as we didn't like them. But by a few months into it we tried him and they were great.

Try the gas and air, it's pretty trippy. Like being instantly pissed, then sober within 30 seconds.

J

Ye I'm lucky in that I've changed plenty of nappies before so that doesn't worry me. Def going to try the gas and air midwife was saying its frowned appon but every dad sneeks a go in lol

This without a doubt. Wee girl is 3 months old. Best thing that's ever happened to me by some distance.

We have also been quite lucky with the sleepless nights so far. Goes down around 8pm then that's her till 8.30am most mornings.

Mrs Angus_Young also had a section. On the face of it, it seems a lot more straight forward than natural. She made a pretty speedy recovery and the birth itself was a quick process. Of course the wee one being healthy was all we were really bothered about.

Unbelievable feeling seeing her for the first time. A moment I'll cherish till the day I die.

J

Same for me actually. You pick it up easy enough.

We were also adamant about not using dummies. She is starting to teeth though and it definitely helps sooth her.

It's a good point actually because everyone has their own ideas about absolutely everything. It's all about what works for you eh.

OK folks due to be a first time dad any day now (he was due yesterday) so the question is what tips do you all have, best piece of advice you were given.

Already been told by several people "don't look down" so anything apart from that will be welcome

Hope the birth goes well and both wife and baby are healthy sod you like, any names yet i take it Nicola is quite a popular name for a girl at present Steven or Gerrard for a boy.If you need a Liverpool FC shirt sending up give us a shout especially since your wife is a Man Utd fan :ok:

Run.

There's still time.

Sorry didn't notice the HE bit.

Wee tip for bottles (if you are using them).

fill them to 2/3 of the required amount with boiling water then stick them in the fridge (once cooled) . Then when the time comes you just need to fill it to the correct level with boiling water and add formula. Brings it to the perfect temp. Seems quite a basic thing but at 4am not having to wait 15-20 mins on a bottle cooling whilst the wean screams is vital for your sanity. :)

Savour every moment. Like people have said, there is NO feeling like it in the world when you see and hold your baby for the first time.

I sobbed like a wean maself both times !! :lol:

Make time for your missus anaw. :ok:

Enjoy the ride, it is the best ever :bouncy:

fill them to 2/3 of the required amount with boiling water then stick them in the fridge (once cooled) . Then when the time comes you just need to fill it to the correct level with boiling water and add formula. Brings it to the perfect temp. Seems quite a basic thing but at 4am not having to wait 15-20 mins on a bottle cooling whilst the wean screams is vital for your sanity. :)

Or just use room temperature water, much easier and neither of my two ever grumbled about it. Never read anything about the milk having to be warm, think it's a parents invention to make their lives harder/more stressy.

Hope the birth goes well and both wife and baby are healthy sod you like, any names yet i take it Nicola is quite a popular name for a girl at present Steven or Gerrard for a boy.If you need a Liverpool FC shirt sending up give us a shout especially since your wife is a Man Utd fan :ok:

Would be worth the doing just to see the look on her face. We 95%sure of the name just not saying in case he comes out and he looks nothing like his name. At least the other half is letting me have a good Scottish name

That's a handy one cheers I'll try and remember that one

I'm braw at it!

Although being one of them Beith ones you're going to have to sit down and explain to him how his mum can also be his aunt. That's going to be pretty awkward.

Lol trust you. No fear on that front she comes from north Essex hence her being a man u fan lol