Downes Syndrome - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Spare a wee thought today for these wonderful kids.

My mate (TA man) has a wonderful wee boy, who spreads happiness to all. Did a wee kilt-walk, and just...well, wonderful.

We're all busy people, but there by the grace of God, and all that.

Just a wee thought for the day.

I have a (grown-up) niece with this condition, and while some of the sufferers - and their families - really do struggle, many lead very positive lives and are incredibly loving and loved.

Nice one, Flora. (And all who put so much effort into helping others.)

Edited by Wibble

My wee niece has downs, an she's a wee cracker. Bit of a handful sometimes, no sense of danger for example, but I don't think my sister would have her any other way.

Edited by biffer

Unlucky with the day picked , maybe should have delayed or brought forward to get more media coverage.

fell oot with a tube years ago over a ds kid , it ended badly for him .

I used to be a swimming teacher and took classes up in Aviemore 80-83 wonderful to coach and know .

My mate (TA man) has a wonderful wee boy, who spreads happiness to all. Did a wee kilt-walk, and just...well, wonderful.

Well said mate :ok:

Had a workmate whose daughter had DS.He was the best most patient person i've ever met.When I start moaning about everyday things I just have to remind myself about him to realise how brilliant some people are at dealing with mega adversity.

There is a wee guy I see passing work who has Downs (he's in his 20's), he always has a smile on his face, (and puts one on mine), and has banter with some of the lads about how good Celtic are.

It puts everyday problems into perspective when you see him going about.

Years ago my daughter Fiona was diagnosed pre-natal as Downs with massive hole in her heart. She was stillborn. Beautiful girl - I'm reminded of her whenever I see any people with Downs. Never had any dealings with anyone with Downs - but the primary school that my other daughters went to - the head teacher accepted a couple of Downs kids into mainstream schooling. Certainly give the other children an appreciation of those less fortunate. It surprised me that the children with Downs are still counted when it comes to league tables of exam results - consequently school went down the pass percentage tables - but a perfect example meaningless statistics.

I can never reason why Frankie Boyle made a joke about Downs - absolutely nothing funny about it or to joke about.

Thanks Flora for bringing it to my attention and well put.

Do you mean Big G Flora? Fellow Dandy?

Years ago my daughter Fiona was diagnosed pre-natal as Downs with massive hole in her heart. She was stillborn. Beautiful girl - I'm reminded of her whenever I see any people with Downs. Never had any dealings with anyone with Downs - but the primary school that my other daughters went to - the head teacher accepted a couple of Downs kids into mainstream schooling. Certainly give the other children an appreciation of those less fortunate. It surprised me that the children with Downs are still counted when it comes to league tables of exam results - consequently school went down the pass percentage tables - but a perfect example meaningless statistics.

I can never reason why Frankie Boyle made a joke about Downs - absolutely nothing funny about that attention seeking #####, I hope he gets run over.

Sorted that for you bud.

Well said Flora, I have dealt with sufferers through work. Amazing people and I salute anyone that gives up their time to support and help them.

I can never reason why Frankie Boyle made a joke about Downs - absolutely nothing funny about it or to joke about.

I really don't know fit te say te that.

Yer a good lad

My son Lewis who is almost nine has Downs and is a total superstar, he goes to mainstream school does Tae Kwon Do and plays football every Saturday morning. He's been with me on two away trips too ( Spain & Lichtenstein)

Perhaps a little known fact is that there are 3 kinds of Downs and a huge variance in terms of severity. He is very lucky to be at the less severe end of this spectrum, while he has his challenges he brings so much joy into the lives of people who he comes into contact with. I am so proud of him and the only limits he has are the ones other people try to put on him.

People like to label people with Downs as "loving" and "always happy" simply not true Lewis has his moments and is grumpy like his mum :) the point being everyone with Downs has their own personality just like me and you...

his life is made much more difficult though by me taking him to watch Falkirk :)