Any Mechanics On Here? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I had my car serviced - normal annual service - then about 3 weeks later the car was back into the same garage to get winter tyres replaced with summer tyres. During the tyre change, my garage gave my car a 'complimentary health check' and identified some things which needed done.

This included the windscreen wipers which were apparently leaving a film on my windscreen - hadn't spotted it before this date, did for a bit after but nothing major - and my break pads were running low. Six weeks later, I've had another email saying that the break pads will now need replaced urgently.

Now - my issue is...shouldn't have this been picked up during the service 3 weeks earlier? Could it really have changed that much in 3 weeks - I don't do much mileage...maybe 14 miles a day at most.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a work-generating thing by the garage..which is quite a big chain.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my car serviced - normal annual service - then about 3 weeks later the car was back into the same garage to get winter tyres replaced with summer tyres. During the tyre change, my garage gave my car a 'complimentary health check' and identified some things which needed done.

This included the windscreen wipers which were apparently leaving a film on my windscreen - hadn't spotted it before this date, did for a bit after but nothing major - and my break pads were running low. Six weeks later, I've had another email saying that the break pads will now need replaced urgently.

Now - my issue is...shouldn't have this been picked up during the service 3 weeks earlier? Could it really have changed that much in 3 weeks - I don't do much mileage...maybe 14 miles a day at most.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a work-generating thing by the garage..which is quite a big chain.

Did they give you a check sheet or report from the normal annual service?

Buy new wiper blades yourself halfords or a garage , cheap enough and they will stick em on.

Try and wipe the old ones with fairy in case of oil put on them .

Get a second opinion on the pads , especially if not spongy or squealing .

Keep a service record on pads. Discs etc ,itll let you know how often you are between sets .

As a tip ,I wait while doing mot or service so anything can be pointed out .

Edited by fishcumnock

they are sending you massive signals they are scamming lowlife chunts. just dump the whankers and find something else.

Soon as their replacements start sending you the same signals, dump them too.

This is the world of whank that is now dealing with any kind of tradesman in the UK.

the service could be nothing more than an oil change and a quick poke around your car. £150 please for a stamp in the book.

It does sound like they think you will sign up for anything and they are milking it.

On the other hand you may actually need new brake pads. At the very least get a 2nd and 3rd opinion on your brakes. Brakes are something you dont want to scrimp on.

Are there colours blue and yellow if so they are well known for generating work. Plenty of stories about screwdrivers through the sills so you have to get welding done

My 23 year old daughter had to get a new tyre at a branch of a place which ryhmes with 'fast sh1t', no problem with that.

However, they told her that the front tyres had less than 1000 miles left before they were illegal.

I only found out about this when she wanted money towards new tyres for her birthday.

The tyres had 5mm tread all round, which I reckon is at least 6000 miles safe life left.

Utter, utter scum, who prey on peoples

(especially young women), fears to get their bonus.

Edited by munroskh

Sickgit ?

Are there colours blue and yellow

'the ones to trust' once quoted me for a new cat converter when I was in getting tyres. The guy went to great lengths to explain how it had collapsed internally and was rattling as well as probably reducing the performance of my car and it was an MOT fail.

Only problem was my car never had a cat fitted.

to the OP - where are you from and what kind of car is it?

maybe somebody on here can recommend a reliable garage to have a look at it?

It's a Qashqai and I'm in Glasgow. Used the company because they are very near where I work and I really need to get the car into work as I'm down at Pacific Quay which is a pain on public transport from Baillieston. It's convenient for me to drop the car off on my way to work and pick it up at the end of the day. It's not the company that most folk have been referring to - it's a Peugot dealer which also does servicing.

I've been driving for over 30 years and the brakes feel fine to me - responsive and no squealing and I spend most of my time on the M8 so I test them regularly. The service was an annual service and the first MOT which is why I'm particularly sceptical about this 'health check' which they didn't do when I changed from summer to winter tyres.

There is a very small garage close to where I work where quite a lot of folk from the office go so I might give them a go.

Did they give you a check sheet or report from the normal annual service?

No, they just stamped the book and said everything was fine. It was an MOT too and I got the MOT with no caveats.

It's a Qashqai and I'm in Glasgow. Used the company because they are very near where I work and I really need to get the car into work as I'm down at Pacific Quay which is a pain on public transport from Baillieston. It's convenient for me to drop the car off on my way to work and pick it up at the end of the day. It's not the company that most folk have been referring to - it's a Peugot dealer which also does servicing.

I've been driving for over 30 years and the brakes feel fine to me - responsive and no squealing and I spend most of my time on the M8 so I test them regularly. The service was an annual service and the first MOT which is why I'm particularly sceptical about this 'health check' which they didn't do when I changed from summer to winter tyres.

There is a very small garage close to where I work where quite a lot of folk from the office go so I might give them a go.

I think sime peole need brake pads every 15,000 miles - think i am normally 40-60K because i am light on the breaks - so if 3 year old car could be due - if you have alloys look through the gap and you can get a good look if they are close to discs and still have wear - new pads should have around 0.5 inch of pad on them - you need to find a homer and just get them to maintain your car

An annual service is a full service, so any work that might need done over the coming weeks/months should be flagged up at the service. Unless you're a heavy-footed driver it's highly unlikely brake pads/shoes would wear so rapidly as they are made of pretty tough material. And wipers don't leave a film on the screen. All they do is smear the film that tar and other residues in the air leave on the screen. A screenwash solution in the washer bottle will take care of it.

If you ever think a garage is ripping the pish tell them you want the old parts they intend replacing. That way you can check the wear and tear for yourself. Amazing how many times they will change their mind on the necessity for changing them if you do this.

Car 'health checks' are much the same as half-price MOT's and low-price servicing - they're a hook to get you in.

Try looking at http://www.goodgaragescheme.com/to see if there's any other options near you.

Just out of interest, how many people change their tyres from winter to summer or vice versa?, never heard anyone doing this before. Seems an unnecessary outlay to me.

drove 23 yeasrs in aberdeenshire and never even gave it a thought - got to work in bad weather most days unless 2 foot type thing in low profiles driving Golf GTI or similar - typically only days didnt go was when snow ploughs were too busy to come round class c roads

Just out of interest, how many people change their tyres from winter to summer or vice versa?, never heard anyone doing this before. Seems an unnecessary outlay to me.

I wouldn't do it here but in countries with a proper winter it's common.

yeah , never did that in Abz ; but in Calgary is pretty much a must have (some folks try to get away with it ; usually seen stranded at side of road)

they just lifted up the stones off streets yesterday(bigger than grit, for traction) - usually means time to to swap out winter tires

they don't plough to the bone here, esp on side roads

downside is lots of windscreen damage from small stones pinging about

- got our first new windscreen in 8 years last week - as last one was a mess ; no insurance on screens as loads of cracks/chips

Aye, sounds mental to me too. Depends where you stay I suppose. But most folk in Scotland probably only had a couple of days snow all winter. It's another marketing con trick IMO. The problem with these sort of things is that the more people do it, the closer we get to some dafties suggesting that it should be compulsory. Although those same dafties will probably own a tyre supply company, so maybe not so daft after all?