Tokyo - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tokyo

Hampden Diehard

I'm spending a weekend in Tokyo and haven't got a clue what to do. I don't want to spend two days looking at palaces and shrines. I like architecture and beer that isn't too hoppy. Any suggestions?

Why are you only spending a weekend here?

You should see at least one shrine and my recommendation would be the Asakusa shrine. Other places you should see are Akihabara electric town, the crossing at Shibuya, Tokyo Tower, Yoyogi park on a Sunday morning and Shinjuku at night time, if you haven't any real plans then Tokyo is great place for just walking around and people watching. Definitely buy a Suica card and keep it topped up for using trains, working out fares can be confusing if it's your first time here.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, gents. I'm on holiday in Seoul and am taking the opportunity to head to Tokyo for the weekend. Good point re travelling about; I know from Seoul that working out fares is a nightmare.

Looking forward to it and I'm taking in a fitba match on the Saturday evening as well.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

Cheers, gents. I'm on holiday in Seoul and am taking the opportunity to head to Tokyo for the weekend. Good point re travelling about; I know from Seoul that working out fares is a nightmare.

Looking forward to it and I'm taking in a fitba match on the Saturday evening as well.

What game you going to?

im off to japan for 2 weeks end of june, something i just found out i thought i would share incase you didnt know. only the atms in the post office and seven elevens will take non japanese bank cards and have english language option

im off to japan for 2 weeks end of june, something i just found out i thought i would share incase you didnt know. only the atms in the post office and seven elevens will take non japanese bank cards and have english language option

Thanks for the tip. I'm there for the first 2 weeks in August.

Does anyone have a link to J League fixtures for that time? I looked online but could not track them down.

Just back from 4 nights Tokyo/4 Nights Seoul on a booze cruise from Bangkok. Seouls good but Tokyos magic. In hindsight I wish I stayed for longer in Tokyo and Japan in general. Will be going back for longer in the future. So much to do we barely scratched the surface

FC Tokyo v Shimizu (?) on the 27th. A Chinese lad that supports Queen's Park has a Japanese mate is going to take me....just as well as my Japanese is unlikely to be that honed by then!

Nice one, that could be a very interesting game, FC Tokyo have started pretty well and are up in 3rd place, Shimizu S-Pulse are second bottom in 17th but are one of the highest scoring teams in J1 and also have the worst defence in the league! You'll enjoy FC Tokyos stadium too, definitely one of the best I've been to in Japan.

Pity you aren't around for a bit longer and I'd have shown you our local team Omiya Ardija who are in J2, our game is the following day.

If you've never been to a game in Japan then you can save yourself some money and time queuing by bringing your own beer to the stadium...The stadium staff will just make your pour it into disposable containers and give you cupholders to carry it in with...That's what we do every game.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Nice one, that could be a very interesting game, FC Tokyo have started pretty well and are up in 3rd place, Shimizu S-Pulse are second bottom in 17th but are one of the highest scoring teams in J1 and also have the worst defence in the league! You'll enjoy FC Tokyos stadium too, definitely one of the best I've been to in Japan.

Pity you aren't around for a bit longer and I'd have shown you our local team Omiya Ardija who are in J2, our game is the following day.

If you've never been to a game in Japan then you can save yourself some money and time queuing by bringing your own beer to the stadium...The stadium staff will just make your pour it into disposable containers and give you cupholders to carry it in with...That's what we do every game.

Enjoy!

Hi Derek,

I'm visiting in September and one of the grand sumo tournaments is on so we're hoping to get tickets for it at the Ryogoku Kokugikan. I've read that there's agencies that can book tickets but not sure how reliable or expensive these are in terms of guaranteeing tickets. I have the details for the sale dates on the official website but have also read that this may need some Japanese to navigate through the order process (even although there is English on the website) so this may be problematic. Have you ever been or have any advice?

Also, cheers for the info on the fitba above! :) I was maybe going to consider a baseball match rather than football. Is that worth doing and which would have the better atmosphere and evening out?

Edited by AlfieMoon

Enjoy!

Unfortunately it was only a last minute thing, so I was only able to spend two nights in Tokyo, but I hope to go back next year and I'll make an effort to spend more time there. As a wee aside, two days and didn't see one bit of litter!

Tokyo's a great place, and the game was excellent. Terrific atmosphere and we were seated up above the noisemakers.

As a non-lager drinker, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the beer was in Tokyo. Spent a good few hours in the Beer Station which served up some excellent non-lager beers.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately it was only a last minute thing, so I was only able to spend two nights in Tokyo, but I hope to go back next year and I'll make an effort to spend more time there. As a wee aside, two days and didn't see one bit of litter!

Tokyo's a great place, and the game was excellent. Terrific atmosphere and we were seated up above the noisemakers.

As a non-lager drinker, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the beer was in Tokyo. Spent a good few hours in the Beer Station which served up some excellent non-lager beers.

Nice one! Glad you had a good time here!

Not surprised about you not seeing any litter, that's standard. I'm here almost four years and only ever seen one piece of dog shite.

Hi Derek,

I'm visiting in September and one of the grand sumo tournaments is on so we're hoping to get tickets for it at the Ryogoku Kokugikan. I've read that there's agencies that can book tickets but not sure how reliable or expensive these are in terms of guaranteeing tickets. I have the details for the sale dates on the official website but have also read that this may need some Japanese to navigate through the order process (even although there is English on the website) so this may be problematic. Have you ever been or have any advice?

Also, cheers for the info on the fitba above! :) I was maybe going to consider a baseball match rather than football. Is that worth doing and which would have the better atmosphere and evening out?

Cheers Alfie,

I'll be looking into this too as I have a 5 day holiday in September...I went to Sumo three years ago in Shizuoka and I'm sure I just bought tickets at a local convenience store, I think?

I'll have a look later after work.

Cheers