Bbc - Scottish Football Doesn't Deserve More Cash (From Daily Mail) - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bbc - Scottish Football Doesn't Deserve More Cash (From Daily Mail)

combat

It's great to finally see Scotland stand up for itself

Slowly getting confidence back and asking for what WE DESERVE.

badger London

Nope badger the SPL management. Get an 18 team league, introduce a salary cap, introduce playoffs for the title, but do something, because what you have currently doesnt work

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As previously, sell them to someone else then. You could argue that the BBC are wasting cash spending any money on a highlights package that no one else is interested in showing . There is no competition for the product that the SPL offer, so you get what you are offered.

Yawn , not the point ...

Nope badger the SPL management. Get an 18 team league, introduce a salary cap, introduce playoffs for the title, but do something, because what you have currently doesnt work

It shouldn't matter, if we decided to start letting boys from the pub turn up to play after a few pints and play jungle rules we should still get 10 percent of the funding

It's really that simple

Gary Lineker gets paid more per annum than Scottish Football gets from the BBC, enough said.

That about sums up the whole debate here.

They couidnt give a crap about SCOTTISH football.

Nor the country for that matter...keep on paying your licence fee now ok or your get in trouble...........................

It shouldn't matter, if we decided to start letting boys from the pub turn up to play after a few pints and play jungle rules we should still get 10 percent of the funding

It's really that simple

No it's not. I would agree that possibly Scotland should get 10% of the licence fee to do with what it will in which case you could blow the feckin lot on the SPL for all I care. However last time I checked the bbc pay what they pay becuase itv would have it off them in a heartbeat. Likewise presumably the SPL could flog their rights to itv, channel 4, sky or al jeez era. Something is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it and that includes hamburgers, houses and football. It has feck all to do with London as some on this thread seem to believe ;-)

All good ideas. Want Doomcaster's job?

To be fair id take it and feckin fix it. You need an 18 team league and for the first few years a playoff for the title for the top four teams. After that see how it goes !! You might even find that people start watching it on tv instead of the EPL or the bundesliga or la liga and the bbc have to pay more than tuppence halfpenny to broadcast it !! Only my opinion of course ;-)

Not the point though - licence payers cash which is being grossly unfairly allocated to the English league, well thats novel eh ...

The licence fee is on the way out, if you don't sort your league out you could look back on this deal as positively bumper ;-)

As a licence fee payer I would like the bbc to get value for its money and not waste it. If itv offer a shed load of money for the highlights so be it.

We voted no

Our fault

This board is feckin priceless !!! What the feck has voting no got to do with how shite your league is? If you voted yes your league would still be shit !!! In an Independent Scotland granted but still shit

Nobby, yer being deliberately obtuse. The argument is we pay 10% of BBC fee and get fukk all back. Nothing, zero to do with sky/ STV/whatever. And nothing to do with quality or otherwise.

Pump several billion into any league and oddly enough it will attract loads of expensive foreign players...obv, MST games are still shite.

Nobby, yer being deliberately obtuse. The argument is we pay 10% of BBC fee and get fukk all back. Nothing, zero to do with sky/ STV/whatever. And nothing to do with quality or otherwise.

Pump several billion into any league and oddly enough it will attract loads of expensive foreign players...obv, MST games are still shite.

good post :ok:

This board is feckin priceless !!! What the feck has voting no got to do with how shite your league is? If you voted yes your league would still be shit !!! In an Independent Scotland granted but still shit

A bit harsh on SPFL, the clubs aren't doing that well on europe but we are generating a conveyor belt of talent.

The national team is on the rise and IF we do qualify for france, the whole of scottish football will get a lift from the SPFL down to the kids.

Compared to out rivals for france ireland, we should be very proud of all our leagues.

Edited by Robroysboy

Is the English Premier League that exciting? As a league the Championship is much more exciting and unpredictable, I don't think many would have had Bournemouth winning promotion. Truth is outside the top four foreign owned clubs no one has a chance of winning the EPL. If you're a Spurs,Everton,Newcastle fan you know that you haven't got a chance of winning the league or getting into the Champions league just like if you support St Johnstone or Dundee United you know you've no chance of winning the league either.

I agree with Nobby there is need for reform to create a league where more than one club can win but that doesn't mean the league's rubbish - relegation is recent years have been a lot less predictable than the EPL but that doesnt mean that Scottish licence fee payers shouldn't see a better return on the money they pay.Crazy that a smug presenter with silly facial hair should get double the whole of Scottish football.

Is the English Premier League that exciting? As a league the Championship is much more exciting and unpredictable, I don't think many would have had Bournemouth winning promotion. Truth is outside the top four foreign owned clubs no one has a chance of winning the EPL. If you're a Spurs,Everton,Newcastle fan you know that you haven't got a chance of winning the league or getting into the Champions league just like if you support St Johnstone or Dundee United you know you've no chance of winning the league either.

I agree with Nobby there is need for reform to create a league where more than one club can win but that doesn't mean the league's rubbish - relegation is recent years have been a lot less predictable than the EPL but that doesnt mean that Scottish licence fee payers shouldn't see a better return on the money they pay.Crazy that a smug presenter with silly facial hair should get double the whole of Scottish football.

Agreed.

For me the English premiership is one of the most boring leagues in europe. I'd watch a Championship match before a premiership match any day. I'd also watch an SPFL match before it knowing I'm less likely to see overpaid players with inflated egos cheating and conning refs.

Scots pay 10% of the licence fee right enough but that doesn't mean the bbc have to spend 10% of what they spend on English football. Make the league more exciting and they will pay more, simples . And I would agree there are shite games in the epl but overall it is still a much better package. You need fundamental changes to your league set up because as previously stated what you currently have isn't working.

see the complete arrogance of that lady p*sses me off. We wouldnt give aflying f&ck what they paid for the EPL highlights package if they paid scottish football 10% of that.

She seems to forget that 10% of what they pay for the english highlights comes form viewers in scotland, or at least indeirectly is funded by viewers in scotland. I know the bbc will make a lot of money selling the epl rights to other countries but 10% the initial investment for that has come from scottish TV licence payers. in effect we own 10% of the BBC so why the f*ck are we not egtting 10% of the football spend?

10% of the epl deal would make a massive difference up here. whether it would be good or not i dont know but we should still get it.

Thats just ridiculous though.

The BBC doesn't exist to subsidise British companies. They are a business who at the end of the day will try and get the best deal possible. They are not going to pay £20 million for Scottish TV rights because that is not the market value. In fact if it wasn't for the BBC we'd be lucky to ever see Scottish football on TV. Who is going to pay for it? STV? They would likely bid even less than what the BBC pays for it at the moment.

They dont pay £200 million a year for Match of the Day just cause the BBC are nice guys who want to support the English premier league. They pay that because that is what other broadcast companies would be willing to pay.

The simple solution is to devolve the BBC.

Scottish licence fees should go to a Scottish BBC. Simple.

But as to the market value. Scottish football has a "brand value" comparable to countries like Poland, Austria, Norway, and Belgium.

And all of those countries leagues have much bigger TV deals than Scotland.

links

https://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/07/06/the-sfaspl-tv-myth-how-we-compare-to-europe/

http://www.football-marketing.com/2010/03/29/ranking-of-european-tv-broadcasting-rights-for-2010/

Nope you shouldnt. If you had a league that was exciting and more that one (two when Rangers make it back) team had a chance of winning then maybe. You can moan all you want about the EPL but at least there are generally 4/5 teams in with a shout of winning it at the start of a season. the SPL are selling a product like it or not and outside of the fans that actually go to games not too many people will pay to see celtic win the league for the next 5 seasons.

Sorry nobby, I understand your point of view but its bollocks. It only holds water if the BBC were fully self funded. Its not. We contribute 10% of the funding to a supposed public service broadcaster. Where is the public service in spending f&ck all of our investment in the thing we care about and want to watch. I know lots of people watch motd but I hardly ever do. It means f&ck all to me regardless of how good and silky the football is.

Thats just ridiculous though.

The BBC doesn't exist to subsidise British companies. They are a business who at the end of the day will try and get the best deal possible. They are not going to pay £20 million for Scottish TV rights because that is not the market value. In fact if it wasn't for the BBC we'd be lucky to ever see Scottish football on TV. Who is going to pay for it? STV? They would likely bid even less than what the BBC pays for it at the moment.

They dont pay £200 million a year for Match of the Day just cause the BBC are nice guys who want to support the English premier league. They pay that because that is what other broadcast companies would be willing to pay.

Its not rediculous and you are completely wrong. Its not a normal business. What other business is funded by a mandatory fee from people who have no say in how its spent. It is not a normal business, it is a nationalised organisation which should exist and function for the good of all its contributors. So please don't call my view rediculous when you are so wide of the mark. Edited by ShedTA

Scots pay 10% of the licence fee right enough but that doesn't mean the bbc have to spend 10% of what they spend on English football. Make the league more exciting and they will pay more, simples . And I would agree there are shite games in the epl but overall it is still a much better package. You need fundamental changes to your league set up because as previously stated what you currently have isn't working.

Bollocks. Yes they should. It is a national public service. That is exactly what it exists for and what it should do. Your view is exactly what the problem is and will see the death of the licence fee.

Your view that the EPL is better is entirely subjective and flawed. Better for who and better in what way. Something is only better if you want to watch it and I dont.