Graduates With A Decent Degree... Be A Pilot - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Graduates With A Decent Degree... Be A Pilot

Obviously no good for me, but, this lot are keen to take prospective pilots on and their press release landed on my desk - fancy it?

CTC Aviation selected to train Wizz Air future airline pilots for the next 5 years

Airline pilot training and resourcing company CTC Aviation, has entered into an exciting new 5-year partnership agreement with Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) airline Wizz Air to provide selection and training services for their new airline pilot career programme. The new programme will be delivered under the regulations of EASA and includes training for an Integrated ATPL combined with an Airbus A320 type rating.

This new programme has been designed to enable graduates to join the airline directly as co-pilots, flying Airbus A320 aircraft on the Wizz Air European network. CTC Aviation was selected by Wizz Air following a competitive tendering and evaluation process. Graduates will receive a complete programme of training from CTC Aviation and develop skills that are relevant and focussed towards the overall operational needs of Wizz Air.

The new programme not only supports a growing need by the airline for additional high quality co-pilots trained full-time as airline pilots from the outset, but also to meet a planned future need for Wizz Air Captains as their significant fleet growth plans take effect.

The foundations of the programme are based upon the existing flagship brand of CTC WINGS. It will be designed and funded in such a way so as to be accessible to a broad range of talented applicants thus enabling genuine diversity and opportunity within the broader community of aspiring pilots in the CEE. Significantly, Wizz Air will provide a job guarantee (subject to achieving proficiency) upon successful completion of training, thus assisting the trainees to access the required funding for the programme which is also underpinned by CTC WINGS Training Sponsorship from CTC Aviation.

The inaugural year will see 28 recruits embark upon a journey from trainee through to co-pilot at latest generation CTC Aviation Crew Training Centres in the UK andNZ or USA; training on Electronic Flight Instrument System (EFIS) and Traffice Advisory System (TAS) equipped Diamond DA40 and DA42 aircraft and Airbus A320 full-flight simulators. The programme is expected to expand rapidly to over 40 enrolees per annum by year 3.

The Wizz Air career programme lasts for approximately 18-months and comprises an initial 6-months of classroom and ATPL theoretical knowledge training, followed by 9 months of professional flight training at either a Crew Training Centre in Hamilton New Zealand or Phoenix, Arizona.

Upon return to the UK, trainees will complete a new 7-hour Upset Prevention and Recovery Training (UPRT) module and complete further Instrument Rating training in Diamond DA42 aircraft and simulators. Further training will comprise an Airline Qualification jet ‘bridge’ Course (AQC) culminating in Airbus A320 type training with CTC Aviation at Southampton and aircraft base training with Wizz Air. Upon course completion, graduates will commence ‘flying the line’ as an A320 co-pilot for this rapidly expanding and inspirational European airline.

The programme also offers the exciting opportunity to elect to complete a BSc Honours Degree in Professional Aviation Pilot Practice.

David Morgan, Head of Flight Operations and Chief Pilot at Wizz Air, commented; “Our people are at the heart of Wizz Air and we’re delighted to offer this opportunity to a whole new generation of airline pilots. They’ll become part of the Wizz Air family from day one and will enjoy an amazing opportunity to be employed directly as a co-pilot on our fleet of Airbus A320 aircraft with a career potential to become a Captain and beyond into management. It’s an exciting chapter in our history

to be able to offer these new flying career opportunities within the CEE and the EU and we’re looking forward to finding our talented flight crew for the future.”

CTC Aviation’s Chief Commercial Officer, Anthony Petteford added - “We are honoured that Wizz Air has chosen us as a training partner to deliver their new airline pilot career programme. A key

focus for us is to enable aspiring pilots from both the CEE and throughout the EU to enter the flight deck for a complete flying career with Wizz Air We have developed this new CTC WINGS airline pilot career programme for the airline with just this sort of career opportunity in mind.”

Captain David Morgan will be speaking at CTC Aviation’s Careers Event Saturday 30 May 2015 at CTC Aviation’s Crew Training Centre – Southampton providing an excellent opportunity to learn more about this exciting new airline pilot career opportunity.

To discover more about this event and to register for tickets, interested parties can visit ctcaviation.com

To discover more about the programme and how to apply, aspiring pilots can visit ctcaviation.com/wizzair, call the CTC Aviation Airline Pilot Careers Advice Team on +44 (0) 2380 742 400 or email pilot.careers@ctcaviation.com.

ENDS

Edited by Wibble

I like how they gloss over the 18-months unpaid work, the 100,000 loan and the need to move to Eastern Europe.

No one said it was perfect... and some people may think it's worth it just for the shaggin' opportunities.

Mmmmm... humpin'! :wub:

When I was younger, I would have loved to have been an airline pilot, but paying £100k for the training was never going to happen.

The other way in was to do some time in the RAF to train up, but the possibility of having people shooting at me wasn't very attractive either, so I dumped that idea.

When I was younger, I would have loved to have been an airline pilot, but paying £100k for the training was never going to happen.

The other way in was to do some time in the RAF to train up, but the possibility of having people shooting at me wasn't very attractive either, so I dumped that idea.

I got as far as the RAF careers office on queen street.

Army man: "how can I help"

Me: "I'm interested in becoming a pilot"

Army man: "do you have asthma or hay fever"

Me: " wheeze, ATCHOO!! Yes, thanks for your time....."

Would you no have been better seeing the RAF man?

I can't mind if it was an RAF specific place, or just armed forces?

It was (is?) on queen street in glasgow.

Took me a while to hone my job seeking skills.

:lol:

Crap eyes put the kibosh on my RAF pilot dreams.

Was chatting with a colleague of mine who was an Army helicopter pilot, before transferring to the RAF. I asked about pilots who's eyes deteriorate as they progress through their career, wondering if they would be grounded? "Of course not was his answer". The logic being that the military has spent millions of pounds training for them over a career, and that they want their monies worth. They just weed you out at the start if you have dodgy eyes.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

I can't mind if it was an RAF specific place, or just armed forces?

It was (is?) on queen street in glasgow.

Took me a while to hone my job seeking skills.

:lol:

Aye, Queen St and it's tri-service. Pilot in the RAF's a tough one right from the start. A history of hayfever or asthma will likely rule you out, as will a host of other minor ailments which would be fine for any other job. Spent five years at Queen St and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of applicants who made it all the way through to being a pilot.

Crap eyes put the kibosh on my RAF pilot dreams.

Was chatting with a colleague of mine who was an Army helicopter pilot, before transferring to the RAF. I asked about pilots who's eyes deteriorate as they progress through their career, wondering if they would be grounded? "Of course not was his answer". The logic being that the military has spent millions of pounds training for them over a career, and that they want their monies worth. They just weed you out at the start if you have dodgy eyes.

J

True dat. 20:20 vision's required at the start but I've seen jet pilots with specs like Mr Magoo later in their careers :lol:

True dat. 20:20 vision's required at the start but I've seen jet pilots with specs like Mr Magoo later in their careers :lol:

Absolutely true. I played golf with an ex RAF man (think he was quite high up). He had geggs like Weatherseal windaes, and still could never see where his ball went.

Aye, Queen St and it's tri-service. Pilot in the RAF's a tough one right from the start. A history of hayfever or asthma will likely rule you out, as will a host of other minor ailments which would be fine for any other job. Spent five years at Queen St and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of applicants who made it all the way through to being a pilot.

I went through them with the navy and got all the way to being offered a place, as a navigator, which I politely declined. My aptitude scores were exceptional across the board (pilot, navigator, ATC) apparently but at 26 they had younger recruits who represented better value for money <_< This was in Sept 2009, the defence review a month or so later meant I almost certainly would have lost the "job" anyway or ended up in a metal tube in the sub sea somewhere. Phew.

I went through them with the navy and got all the way to being offered a place, as a navigator, which I politely declined. My aptitude scores were exceptional across the board (pilot, navigator, ATC) apparently but at 26 they had younger recruits who represented better value for money <_< This was in Sept 2009, the defence review a month or so later meant I almost certainly would have lost the "job" anyway or ended up in a metal tube in the sub sea somewhere. Phew.

You could've been a whistleblower :lol:

24's the upper age for applying to be a pilot in the RAF, for a similar reason you were told you couldn't do it with the Navy. It takes years and millions of quid to train a pilot so we only take people who can give us those years back when they're finished training. Incidentally, you're more likely to end up flying C17s or helicopters than a fast jet in the RAF as the aptitude scores required for FJ throughout the training are off the scale.

You could've been a whistleblower :lol:

24's the upper age for applying to be a pilot in the RAF, for a similar reason you were told you couldn't do it with the Navy. It takes years and millions of quid to train a pilot so we only take people who can give us those years back when they're finished training. Incidentally, you're more likely to end up flying C17s or helicopters than a fast jet in the RAF as the aptitude scores required for FJ throughout the training are off the scale.

Yeh I was right on the age limit for the Navy, they had actually exempted me as I turned 27 in August and the intake was in September but I didn't want to spend 12 years wishing I was doing the job of the guy sitting next to me. I was pretty confident I'd get FJ in the Navy at the time (ie when they actually had any) but would have been happy in a Lynx or Merlin to be honest. I do like to moan but I was lucky enough to do a flying scholarship with Navy when I was 18 and they let me loose on a Sea King a couple years later for an hour so I done alright out of them. What could have been eh.

Edited by broono83

Yeh I was right on the age limit for the Navy, they had actually exempted me as I turned 27 in August and the intake was in September but I didn't want to spend 12 years wishing I was doing the job of the guy sitting next to me. I was pretty confident I'd get FJ in the Navy at the time (ie when they actually had any) but would have been happy in a Lynx or Merlin to be honest. I do like to moan but I was lucky enough to do a flying scholarship with Navy when I was 18 and they let me loose on a Sea King a couple years later for an hour so I done alright out of them. What could have been eh.

Ach, I'm a thick wee guy from Dumbarton and I've had 23 years and counting out the RAF without ever getting anywhere near the driving seat of an aircraft :lol: Can't say I'm not just a wee jealous of the Typhoon pilots right enough but I'd never tell the smug bastards that.

I stood outside that window for about half an hour thinking "will I, won't I". Wish to phuqq I did now.

I stood outside that window for about half an hour thinking "will I, won't I". Wish to phuqq I did now.

I joined at that same office where I ended up working 13 years later. Different from you though. I walked in for information and came out with a date for joining up :lol:

I joined at that same office where I ended up working 13 years later. Different from you though. I walked in for information and came out with a date for joining up :lol:

Honest to God, I was 19, fit as phuqq with good o grades and Highers, but I couldn't do the whole 'British' thing. I was a daft wee boy then, and couldn't stand the English. So, I phuqqed off round te the Horseshoe for a pint and went back to the Royal Insurance :lol:

Ach, I'm a thick wee guy from Dumbarton and I've had 23 years and counting out the RAF without ever getting anywhere near the driving seat of an aircraft :lol: Can't say I'm not just a wee jealous of the Typhoon pilots right enough but I'd never tell the smug bastards that.

I've seen Top Gun. Are they all as gay as that in real life ?

Honest to God, I was 19, fit as phuqq with good o grades and Highers, but I couldn't do the whole 'British' thing. I was a daft wee boy then, and couldn't stand the English. So, I phuqqed off round te the Horseshoe for a pint and went back to the Royal Insurance :lol:

I joined at 18 and I wasn't particularly fussed about the politics of it all. It was a job which paid well and it would get me tae f*ck out of Dumbarton. 23 years and tours in Cyprus, Germany, Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan as well as around the UK and several sports and adventurous training trips I can honestly say I've never regretted it. On the odd occasion I go back home and have the same arses sitting on the same bar stools giving me the 'billy brit' bollocks just reinforces that feeling. The past couple of years have caused me a bit of a crisis of conscience but you'd be surprised just how many Scots can reconcile (like I do) being a nationalist with being in the UK forces.

Edited by redstevie007